splenectomy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

freakystud

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
why pneumococcal & streptoccal bacterias only caused spleen infection in post splenectomy?

Members don't see this ad.

why pneumococcal & streptoccal bacterias only caused spleen infection in post splenectomy?

Encapsulated bacteria, such as strep. pneumo., are opsonized by complement or antibodies. These opsonized bacteria are filtered and removed by macrophages / dendritic cells in the spleen. Therefore, patients who undergo splenectomies (auto or surgical) are more susceptible to infection (septicemia) by these types of bacteria. These patients are in need of prophylactic vaccination.

Last edited:
thnx a lot spicedmanna. may i know the sources or any links ?

Members don't see this ad :)
thnx a lot spicedmanna. may i know the sources or any links ?

Here is perhaps some further clarification to my hasty response. I just read the following article and it turns out that the spleen also harbors IgM-producing lymphocytes, in addition to macrophages / dendritic cells. Based on that, I am thinking that in addition to the spleen's macrophages / dendritic cells assisting in phagocytic removal of opsonized encapsulated bacteria, the spleen's lymphocytes may also have a role in providing opsonization of these bacteria (but I'm not certain of that, and if so, to what extent).

Essentially, I think it can be said that the spleen helps remove encapsulated bacteria and the removal of the spleen diminishes the body's capacity to do that. Therefore, it's important to vaccinate prophylactically just before or after splenectomy.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/474926

The article:

Vaccinations and Antibiotic Treatment Post Splenectomy
David R. Haburchak, MD, FACP

Last edited:
Also, H. flu.

Also, H. flu.

mnemonic: Some Killers Have Pretty Nice Capsules

Strep pneumo
Klebsiella pneumoniae
H. flu
Pseudomonas
Neisseria meningitides
Cryptococcus neoformans

Don't forget the Salmonella, the boards love that one for sickle cell patients.

Does salmonella cause oateomyelitis in sicklers?

you get infected by pneumococci - but not a spleen infection for goodness sake