Spoof From NYMC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shuey123

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I casually opened my Yahoo e-mail to check for intereview invitations. and lo and behold.....there appeared before my eyes a letter from NYMC .... my heart skipped a beat and I looked at the subject line where to my elation the following words appeared in huge bold letters

" IMPORTANT NOTICE". :eek: ....my heart stopped and I jumped for joy,

" yeeeees...this has to be my first interview" :D

But then I opened the email and to my great dismay the message read something like:

"our web site will be down on oct. 3rd so you will not be able to log on blah blah blah." : :confused:

What in the world were they thinking??? :mad: :mad:

Members don't see this ad.

yea that happened with NYMC, AECOM

and a president's letter from UMICH today.

makes me feel like a dog.

i hear ya... got one from nymc AND albany... pretty disappointing! :thumbdown:

Members don't see this ad :)
sgrnspc said:

yeeep. Fun times. Strange tho, since I applied to Albany, AECOM, NYMC, and UMICH, and yet only got 2 of the weird emails......hm.

ah well, 2 less heartattacks for me :smuggrin:

Someone must really hate me then.

I got 2 from AECOM, 2 from UMich, one from NYMC.

I figured surely one from AECOM must be an invite or something. Nope, just duplicate spam.

One from UMich was another invite to submit secondary!?! I thought I was complete? At least one was for a pic and LORs although I thought I already sent it but anyway.

Then the spam from NYMC too. uggghhh!

fiddler

Yea. I got that e-mail, too.

AECOM sent me two e-mail messages today kindly letting me know of their religious holidays. But I am beginning to suspect that they were subtly promoting the Health Professions Career Fair.

shuey123 said:
So I casually opened my Yahoo e-mail to check for intereview invitations. and lo and behold.....there appeared before my eyes a letter from NYMC .... my heart skipped a beat and I looked at the subject line where to my elation the following words appeared in huge bold letters

" IMPORTANT NOTICE". :eek: ....my heart stopped and I jumped for joy,

" yeeeees...this has to be my first interview" :D

But then I opened the email and to my great dismay the message read something like:

"our web site will be down on oct. 3rd so you will not be able to log on blah blah blah." : :confused:

What in the world were they thinking??? :mad: :mad:

I got three today: "Possible Interview" from Rosalind Franklin, "NYMC - Important Notice" from NYMC and "2006 VCU Application Status Update" from VCU. I'm used to it now though, I wouldn't get excited unless it actually said "Schedule Interview" or "Congratulations" or something like that.

Also, watch out for any big envelopes that come in the mail from other offices at the school, like Drexel's Master's program thing. Check the return address for which department it's coming from before you get too excited and have a heart attack while opening it. Okay, maybe not a heart attack (after all we're mostly only in our twenties), but my heart would do this weird thing like it was jumping up into my throat. It does that whenever I see a police car behind me too, even if I'm not speeding or anything. Maybe I'm just a nervous person. :p

i got this tiny envelope from Tufts the other day, about 1 month after i thought i was complete
thought that was my first rejection letter :(

but no, it's just a letter telling me my app is complete there...

sgrnspc said:

Oh yeah? i didnt hear anything from Albany. What did the letter say?

I got 3 from AECOM and 1 from NYMC and I fell for it all 4 times.

beponychick said:
Oh yeah? i didnt hear anything from Albany. What did the letter say?

oops, i meant AECOM, why the hell was i thinking albany?!?! :confused:
i swear my eyes are playing tricks on me!

sgrnspc said:

What email did you receive from albany?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was in class with my wireless connected when I got the email. My gmail notifier told me there was a new email from NYMC but my wireless then got disconnected. I spent a stressful 10 minutes trying to reconnect, only to find out that they're closed on Monday. Lovely. :thumbdown:

i've been jumping at an awful lot of false alarms lately. i got a small envelope from SUNY Downstate which i swore was a rejection letter, but was in fact just a notice that my file was complete.

cHocoBo 118 said:
haha i got the email from NYMC yesterday as well. Then today, I got another email from NYMC and literally thought to myself... ok, im not gonna fall for it AGAIN. but lo and behold it WAS an invite for an interview. I was so happy. my first interview for this cycle.

when were you complete choco? congratulations!

I just got an interview invite today from NYMC- I was complete on 9/14 too

Good luck!

beponychick said:
when were you complete choco? congratulations!

thanks! I was complete 9/12/05. The interviews not til mid december though.

how do you know you're complete at nymc? i checked my status online and it doesn't explicitly say that. i just get:

"Secondary Application

A unique Login ID and Password to complete your secondary application were sent to you via e-mail on 07/28/2005.
Your application fee of $100.00 was received on 07/29/2005.

Letters of Evaluation Received

In order to view your received evaluations your secondary application must first be processed by the Admissions Office.

Interview Information

Details are available once you have been emailed an invitation to interview. You may be invited to interview via email at any time during the interview season from October through April.

Decision

This status will be updated once a final decision has been made.

Important Notes

Once your secondary application has been completed, review of your file is contingent upon receiving your verified AMCAS application.
If interviewed, you may receive a final decision any time within an 8-12 week period from the date of your interview.
Be sure to keep your permanent contact information updated through AMCAS at www.aamc.org.
Please remove all junk mail filters from your email settings. "

am i complete? i got the email twice yesterday...

Underneath

"Your application fee of $100.00 was received"

there is a line on mine that says

" Your Secondary Application was completed on X and is currently under review."

Clocks said:
Underneath

"Your application fee of $100.00 was received"

there is a line on mine that says

" Your Secondary Application was completed on X and is currently under review."
i also checked by logging into my secondary application and it says:

"You have already completed the Medical School Admission's Secondary Application on Friday July 29, 2005"

what gives?

Give them a call- they were pretty quick about updating the info (I added NYMC on Sept. 1st on AMCAS BTW).

I was complete on 9/12 at NYMC and just got the interview invite today as well.

mrpankration said:
I was complete on 9/12 at NYMC and just got the interview invite today as well.

Ok. Now, I'm nervous because that is the date I was complete as well but I have no invite!!

titoincali said:
Ok. Now, I'm nervous because that is the date I was complete as well but I have no invite!!

I was completed on 08/01 at NYMC and still nothing.... :scared:

RayhanS1282 said:
I was completed on 08/01 at NYMC and still nothing.... :scared:

Oh, Rayhan!!!! Me toooooo!!!!! I was complete 8-1 and nothing from them. This royally stinks. :( I dont know why you wouldnt at least get an interview. your numbers are above their averages. i dont get it.

beponychick said:
Oh, Rayhan!!!! Me toooooo!!!!! I was complete 8-1 and nothing from them. This royally stinks. :( I dont know why you wouldnt at least get an interview. your numbers are above their averages. i dont get it.

Rayhan do you have research experience? I get the feeling NYMC looks for people with research experience, in the MSAR they have one of the highest research % for matriculating people I have seen. Not sure though, but on the other hand Bepony you got an interview at DRexel and I didnt :(

BOBODR said:
Rayhan do you have research experience? I get the feeling NYMC looks for people with research experience, in the MSAR they have one of the highest research % for matriculating people I have seen. Not sure though, but on the other hand Bepony you got an interview at DRexel and I didnt :(

I have absolutely no medical research experience- I'm all about Economics research ;)

beponychick said:

I think they know that I am too poor to go to NYMC and get housing at Westchester.

Alas, I wil be happy knowing that my file is serving as a kick-as coaster for an adcom.

BOBODR said:

I know Bobo. this process is so crazy. I do have a lot of research experience so i dont know if this is the explanation. I think its more of my REALLY average numbers. But I doubt they interview people with only over 3.5 GPAs and over 28 MCATs because their averages are not too far from it. So im sure there is something else in my application they must not like.

They did request for me to send a graduate recommendation which I have not done so. But they did tell me my application was complete without it. So who knows.

BOBODR said:
Rayhan do you have research experience? I get the feeling NYMC looks for people with research experience, in the MSAR they have one of the highest research % for matriculating people I have seen.

That might be it...I have no research. I was never interested much in research because I wanted to be one of them doctors that work with patients and stuff (what an eloquent reason for skipping research). And most of the undergards at my university that did research did a little more than clean testubes, so, I didn't really want to do it. Guess, I am paying for it now.

Research may be it. I have over 2 years of it with a publication, and this is the only med school I've heard from as of yet.

firebird69guy said:
Research may be it. I have over 2 years of it with a publication, and this is the only med school I've heard from as of yet.

I dunno, I have the same amount of research as you firebird, was complete on 8/18 and have heard NOTHING. Could be my GPA....
grrrrr

Don't worry guys. NYMC can be pretty slow with the interview invites. I was complete in Oct. of the year I applied (late, I know) and got the interview invite in Jan, didn't interview until March. Everywhere else I interviewed in Feb/March and they had accepted a full class (although there is always turnover, so it wasn't completely hopeless). NYMC on the other hand, was still offering acceptances (not waitlists) at that point. I don't know if NYMC really looks for research that much.

Oh, and my GPA was below the possible 3.5 "cutoff" mentioned!

:)

Good luck to you all!