Sports Medicine Career

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sportsmed123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious for physicians who completed a sports med fellowship after IM/FM....

What percentage of your clinical work is SM? In the most recent SM forum post here I saw one guy did 100% and one did 50/50. However, it seems like many of the individuals I have chatted with in SM divide their time, which is unfortunate since I'm actually not a huge fan of general primary care. I would not be sad if I never had to treat chronic HTN or DM again.

How reasonable is it to do 100 percent sports medicine after a fellowship. Also, do any of you guys do primarily invasive procedures or even fluoro procedures? Was this part of your fellowship training or you learned after fellowship. There seems to be huge variation in the amount of procedure exposure in each program. For example, if I'm accepted to a "procedure light" program I would still want to pick up procedural skills later.

Thanks so much for any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Pretty reasonable. I know plenty of people that do 100% sports med. All of them are hired by ortho practices and do all the non-operative ortho stuff. A couple of orthopods from different practices in this last year alone have come up to me asking if I knew any PCSM people that are interested in joining their practice, so I know the jobs are out there.
Where I did training I did not do fluoro. My sports med/spine PM&R colleague is trained in it so I send my fluoro over. You're right every fellowship program is different, but the industry standard now is MSK ultrasound skills.
I even know a person that did a "procedure heavy" SM fellowship, then stopped doing SM and started doing pain management.

I wish there was a forum! It encompasses so many specialties and its popularity (and competitiveness) is only getting higher.

You can do all sports, but I recommend learning fracture care: closed reductions, casting/splinting and take everything non-op that comes through your local ER> If you work with a busy Ortho practice they don't want this stuff. I do 50% non op fractures. You ave to be ready and willing and comfortable with closed reductions,with or without sedation as well as dealing with kids ( and mom) that have fractures. Rewarding but can be angst inducing.