PhD/PsyD Sports Neuropsychology Society Symposium 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CogNeuroGuy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello fellow forum-goers;

Anyone attending this symposium? I will be a student worker there, I will be working the registration and some of the conference rooms and poster rooms, so please stop by and say hello, it would be great to meet people from the forum.

-Derek

Members don't see this ad.

I thought about it, some pretty good speakers. You should definitely see McCrea and Iverson speak. Take anything Bigler says with a grain of salt. I'm ambivalent about any of his research after a talk I saw where he presented some MRI's with massive lesions as "mild TBI's" and referred to a TOMM score in the 30's as a "near miss."

Reactions: 1 users
I thought about it, some pretty good speakers. You should definitely see McCrea and Iverson speak. Take anything Bigler says with a grain of salt. I'm ambivalent about any of his research after a talk I saw where he presented some MRI's with massive lesions as "mild TBI's" and referred to a TOMM score in the 30's as a "near miss."

Agreed with WisNeuro, particularly re: McCrea and Iverson. I think McCrea presented at INS, although unfortunately I couldn't make the talk, but I've heard he's pretty awesome to hear (and his book on mild TBI is equally solid). And Iverson is Iverson. Speaking of which, I just noticed that he moved from BC to Harvard.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wish I could. Great list of speakers. How do we get the media to pay more attention to these folks (McCrea and Iverson particularly) rather than those who profit from pseudoscience by catering to a prolonged PCS after a single uncomplicated bell-ringing?

Wish I could. Great list of speakers. How do we get the media to pay more attention to these folks (McCrea and Iverson particularly) rather than those who profit from pseudoscience by catering to a prolonged PCS after a single uncomplicated bell-ringing?

Unfortunately, there's just not nearly as much grant and/or lawsuit-related money to be had by reporting on the science indicating complete neurological recovery.

Well, first we need the NIH to stop giving out millions of dollars of grant money for poorly designed studies simply because they use DTI.

Reactions: 1 user
I loved Iverson's lecture. His view point that neuropsychologists rarely test a patient with only one test to infer a disability or deficit and the fact that we traditionally measure our psychometrics in a univariate perspective of the typical bell curve is essentially "out of touch with reality." He had mentioned that if you are using multiple assessments, then measuring its outcome on a univariate paradigm is very narrow and not representative of your population. He had mentioned that if you are testing a handful of patients with several assessments and using an arbitrary cutoff (25%) to indicate your below average (he stated he hates the term "abnormal scores") that you are clustering people into a cutoff that doesn't present the full range of effects of individual scores.