Spring 2008 Application Process (BU, GW, Tulane, USF, UPitt)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ThinkGlobal

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Accepted at BU, GW, Tulane, USF, UPitt...Wanted to share my experience with hope that it might help someone...

I applied for Spring 2008 semester with an interest in Global Health, Int'l Health & Development, and also MCH (depending on the school). Below is a summary of my application:

- Applied to USF, Tulane, BU, UPitt, and GW
- Submitted MCAT score of 21
- GPA: 3.43
- A lot of work/volunteer experience in Int'l Health
- Personal Statement had 350 words (described some of past experiences, my passion for public health, and why I want to go xx school)
- Sent in my application by Sept. 12 to SOPHAS (VERY EARLY!!)

The best advice I can give is to CALL THE SCHOOLS!! Contact the admissions department as well as your department of interest early in the process. Ask them questions about the program, admissions process, and even what the school would like to see on your personal statement. It is amazing how much they will reveal to you... Of course, do your research before and then call the schools to ask more specific questions. Let them see your passion and dedication for public health, I promise they will remember you! (on my first few phone calls I received some cold responses, but don't take it personal and call again in a couple of weeks with another question)

Keep in mind that I did apply for Spring and not too many people apply at that time (they also have fewer spots available). But, I really think that applying for the Spring put me at an advantage...

APPLY EARLY!! Beware that many schools have just begun working with SOPHAS... I had an incident where the schools were not even aware that my application had been processed and was ready to be reviewed... I called the admissions department and notified them when I sent in my application and also again when it was processed.

Heard back by:
USF: Oct. 17
GW: Oct. 24
Tulane: Oct. 22
UPitt: Oct. 31
BU: Oct. 30

USF's deadline to submit my deposit and acceptance was approaching... I contacted BU and UPitt to explain my situation and asked if they could review my application a bit quicker. FYI... BU is very very backed up!

Best of luck and feel free to contact me if you like :)

Members don't see this ad.

thanks for the info! I didn't think you could apply for the spring at some of those schools.

I applied to Pitt for the Fall semster about two weeks ago. Hopefully they review my application as quick as yours!