St. George's in January; should I go?????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wnzl

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just received a call from St. George's informing me that I was accepted for January. I am exciting about this but at the same time I have my doubts about going there. I haven't applied to any U.S. schools mainly because my MCAT score was too low (I have taken it twice), I really don't know what to do. So should I just take the opportunity and go to St. George's or should I try to take the MCAT again and apply here in the U.S.? Even though I'm just 22 yrs old I don't feel like waiting another year just to see if I do well on the MCAT and even then I still might not get accepted here. Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

My husband is going in January...and like you we just got notified only a few weeks ago..so not much time to plan. HE also took the MCAT 2 times. Did you know that the top USMLE scorer last year came from St. George's. It is a very reputable school. I would say you have to make the decision when all is said and done. Don't go if you don't really want to...but if this is your heart's desire and you want to be a doctor...go for it...don't pass up the chance. You do all your clinicals in the US...and they have a 99 percent residency match. What exactly are you worried about...the sitgma that some talk about? I don't know of anyone, when they go to a Dr, ask them where they went to Med School...also I know of a cardiologist, OB/GYN, and Surgeon, all who graduated from SGU...so about what you may hear that if you go abroad, you will have hard time specializing....well...you make the Dr...work hard, and you can do well...I know schools in the US that don't have stats as good as that. Anyway that is my $0.02. Good luck with what you choose..maybe we'll see you in the sunny Caribbean. ;)

I just got accepted to a Carribean Med School as well. I took the MCAT 2x and applied once to the US Med school. Did not get in. So when I retook the MCAT the 2nd time and did not do as well as I would like to do, I decided to try the Carribeans. I was 23 when I first applied to the US Med Schools and now, 3 years later, I've decided not to retake the MCAT all over again (for the 3rd time). I took it 2x and that was enough. When I was in college, I figured that being an honor student with many awards will, with out a dought, get me into the us Med Schools, but it didn't.
Nevertheless, I desire Medicine and I love working with people. However, the decision to go is up to you. Is it something you really want? You will need all the emotional strenght to get through the difficult process ahead. Be strong minded, and you will not fail. Pursue your dreams.
I, personally, hope you go, but like I said the final decision is up to you. I wish you all the best. ;)