St. Mary's (SF) vs Beth Israel (NYC) prelim medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fizzle

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need to choose between whether to interview at St. Mary's or BI NYC due to scheduling conflicts. I don't really prefer being on either coast for my prelim year, especially since both are in awesome cities. The information I got from both websites is somewhat limited. Any thoughts between the two?

Members don't see this ad.

ive heard BI treats their prelims like crap. I have my interview coming up, but this i heard from other people. many more ICU months and floor months. they will be pretty low on my rank list

Hmm thanks...still thinking, but I was leaning towards St. Mary's anyway...

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your view. Kind of funny how things turned out, because I ended up matching at St. Mary's for my intern year. Very excited about it, though I will be better able to contribute my views once I've actually worked there for some time.

Anyhow, I've started posting under a different account now, and I only brought this account out of retirement because it seemed appropriate for this topic.

other crappy things about BINYC: signout is at 6am instead of 7am at other places in the city. also you get 2-4 weeks of elective time versus the 2-5 months at other programs.

despite the convenient location, i ranked BINYC really really low and was very thnkful not to end up there.

Really want to be in NY.. Was wondering what kind of schedule you work on the floor at beth israel.. When do you typically come in and leave and what days do you typically get off on those rotations? do you think you get adequate help from your residents? Any response is appreciated as I assume you are getting burned out. Thanks.

like i said BI has sign out at 6am.. unlike the 7am everywhere else

Yeah it was only nyc program that had sign out at 6 am .. Residents seemed happy but did admit to working very hard. Maimo seemed great with having 5 months of elective but it seemed a little sketchy because the program had been on probation. St Luke's probably had the best schedule in manhattan. Lenox hill seemed kind of intense. Nyu mount Sinai Cornell Columbia were what you would expect.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. Sign out is at 6 am but when do you sign out in the afternoon, how long does call last, do you typically get a golden, black, and 2 silver weekends? Or is it just random days off. I want to do Neuro so I would be a prelim and these are the things I can't help but wonder.

i believe htere are no golden weekends at BINYC

ok found my notes from the BI interview day:
signout at 6am and 5pm in the afternoons. q4 call, admit til 4pm on short call, 4-8pm for long call.
You have more floor months than the categorials. night float is 8p to 7am Sun-Fri with saturday night off.
during your 4-6 weeks of electives, you are not call free but tend to get called about 1 day per 2 weeks.
CCU rotations go like this: 4 days of being on call, 4 days of short call, 4 days of nights, and then repeat.
MICU has 10d of nights.
supposedly you have 2 golden wekends per month but you still need to come in to write notes.. so not quite a godlen weekend.

the schedule is: 20-28weeks of floors, 2 mo of ICU, 4 weeks vacation, 4-6 weeks of night float, 4 weeks of ER if your advanced prorgam requires it

Reactions: 1 user
ok found my notes from the BI interview day:
signout at 6am and 5pm in the afternoons. q4 call, admit til 4pm on short call, 4-8pm for long call.
You have more floor months than the categorials. night float is 8p to 7am Sun-Fri with saturday night off.
during your 4-6 weeks of electives, you are not call free but tend to get called about 1 day per 2 weeks.
CCU rotations go like this: 4 days of being on call, 4 days of short call, 4 days of nights, and then repeat.
MICU has 10d of nights.
supposedly you have 2 golden wekends per month but you still need to come in to write notes.. so not quite a godlen weekend.

the schedule is: 20-28weeks of floors, 2 mo of ICU, 4 weeks vacation, 4-6 weeks of night float, 4 weeks of ER if your advanced prorgam requires it

Is this still accurate? 4-6 weeks of electives is already relatively scant for a prelim, but 6am signout for 5-7 months, sans real golden weekends, sounds unpleasant. What's the 5-7 months variation dependent on? And how does vacation get scheduled? is it one of those "you can only take vacation during elective time" prelims? Any other details would be much appreciated. I'm on the fence on whether or not to keep my interview based off this description...thanks!!

where you said "sounds unpleasant" I thought "sounds typical"

you should keep as many interviews as you can afford and would prefer matching to vs going unmatched entirely, residency is unpleasant by definition
I saw nothing in that description to make me think going unmatched would be preferable
maybe you have so many interviews lined up you can afford to get picky

and the bitching about the golden weekend that isn't so golden? FFS. Lower your standards. Just getting your one day off a week to be a weekend day is something to be grateful for, but 2 light weekends a month? Should be thanking Jesus. I get we're talking about a prelim schedule, but still, it's intern year.