!st time Scrubbed in.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EgyptianSun

Surcical Scrub
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings all, I couldn't find a better place to post my story other than the Internship heading. I hope I'm not stepping on any toes. Posting this story will be a record of my surgical rotations and hopefully benefit a fellow student as well. There will be no sad stories here, so read on.

First, I am not a Doctor, but am 5 mos. away from an Assoc. of Surgical Technology. Hopefully I will be able to work my way through school and further my responsibilities.

My first day scrubbed in, I arrive change to OR scrubs, place PPE, and perform a 10 min. scrub. We have a huddle on the scheduling board at 6:45am, and my first procedure is a Robot Assisted Hysterectomy at 7am. I retrieve my own gown and gloves with extras, and enter the suite 3. Open everything and leave for an Avogard scrub and return to the suite and become sterile.

I learned so much in that one procedure I felt evolved, and my back hurt so much I would have believed that I just became erect, and walking upright.

Fun Facts 1 - 3 : btw I have no studies to back this up.

1. Do not talk, whether during induction or during the procedure. Words can be variables and affect the outcome or simply cause the procedure to be 4 min. longer. Thats 4 min. I could be sitting down.

2. Be prepared. Second guess every little step, or twist of your body. Think before you move.

3. If your not physically conditioned for a task that calls for precision and accuracy for 6 hours. Get there and get there fast. Isolate your weak muscles that are being exerted and work them during rest and exercise. No less than 24 hours before a procedure. Call your friendly chiropractic and ask advice, as well as your new colleagues.

I'll rap this up, but hope to share some more fun facts. Sorry my first post is a doozy.:sleep:

Members don't see this ad.

Ugh.....these internets are scary places. I have to admit however....you always remember your !st time.