Standing Out from the Crowd

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blappe

Goku
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a freshman at a state school and still learning about the pathway of getting into medical school. I know that clinicals, volunteering, and research are important in the process, but if everyone does these things, what sets them apart? Basically, I'm curious as to what kind of experiences or qualities set an applicant apart, and what I can do to make myself stand out more.

Members don't see this ad.

Communicating well, high mcat score, personality, accomplishment, insight - there are a billion ways to show you're cut from a different cloth. So what that everyone does the same thing? That doesn't in any way mean everyone has the same experience.

Reactions: 3 users
Ideas for setting yourself apart:

In orgo (or any other class), set up a group session using the tutoring center and lead it (invite all classmates, have a structure outlined, even assign problems for others to discuss with the group); ask the professor for 1/2 hour of his time to answer questions the group might have;

When volunteering, see how you can organize and lead an event - don't just participate, lead by example, deed, purpose

Be hands on - get dirty - dig through rubble - offer to lead drives for the homeless in shelters to get them backpacks, socks, clothes for interviews

Last - be you. Don't be Sally-so-common down the block, be you and uniquely you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Begin with you family, background, and growing-up life. You can find unique things there (I certainly did).

What experiences have you had that define who you are and what you care about?

What experiences can you engage in during college that pique your interests and will help you explore them more?

Clinical: working with dying patients, or sick children
Service: working with populations less fortunate with yourself. Be a Big Brother/Sister; Habitat for Humanity, Peace Corps; military service
Both of the above: Hundreds of hours, not just the cookie cutter 100 each.
Research: being productive (papers, posters, talks at meetings etc).

I'm a freshman at a state school and still learning about the pathway of getting into medical school. I know that clinicals, volunteering, and research are important in the process, but if everyone does these things, what sets them apart? Basically, I'm curious as to what kind of experiences or qualities set an applicant apart, and what I can do to make myself stand out more.