Standing out in the college admissions process?

xnfs93hy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Besides volunteering and shadowing docs, taking AP classes, college courses, etc. What else can I do to make sure I have a good shot at top universities? I'm a junior right now and even though I am very bright and a great test taker I feel like when I apply I will have no "hook". I know the SAT scores and essay play a HUGE part, and I can get AWESOME LOR's, so I'm not to worried about LOR's, I'll chose which few to send in when the time comes. I am NOT applying to any ivies for UG and as some of you know I want to go to NYU and I can probably get in but I just want advice on how to beef up my app before applying next year, give me anything because I'd probably be willing to do it.

On a side note, unrelated to the above topic. If I am unsatisfied with my acceptances would it be a smart move to go to a CC first then transfer? Financially it is good but I want to make sure I get into a top 50 at least. Its not because I want to go to a "prestigious" college, its because these big universities have huge endowments and are big on research. Some top 50's are, not all of them though I guess.

Lastly, this has nothing to do with my thread on after school clubs, this is a serious thread about improving my app, because I'm doing so much and I still have free time when I could be doing something else. I mean seriously, I'm tutoring little kids after school, doing research at the medical center, volunteering two hospitals and I STILL have a decent amount of time on the weekends where I'm playing video games and it annoys me. Please don't answer my question with "Just do your HW and get straight A's" because that is not what I'm asking. I really want to improve myself and make my application stand out.

Members don't see this ad.

Besides volunteering and shadowing docs, taking AP classes, college courses, etc. What else can I do to make sure I have a good shot at top universities? I'm a junior right now and even though I am very bright and a great test taker I feel like when I apply I will have no "hook". I know the SAT scores and essay play a HUGE part, and I can get AWESOME LOR's, so I'm not to worried about LOR's, I'll chose which few to send in when the time comes. I am NOT applying to any ivies for UG and as some of you know I want to go to NYU and I can probably get in but I just want advice on how to beef up my app before applying next year, give me anything because I'd probably be willing to do it.

On a side note, unrelated to the above topic. If I am unsatisfied with my acceptances would it be a smart move to go to a CC first then transfer? Financially it is good but I want to make sure I get into a top 50 at least. Its not because I want to go to a "prestigious" college, its because these big universities have huge endowments and are big on research. Some top 50's are, not all of them though I guess.

Lastly, this has nothing to do with my thread on after school clubs, this is a serious thread about improving my app, because I'm doing so much and I still have free time when I could be doing something else. I mean seriously, I'm tutoring little kids after school, doing research at the medical center, volunteering two hospitals and I STILL have a decent amount of time on the weekends where I'm playing video games and it annoys me. Please don't answer my question with "Just do your HW and get straight A's" because that is not what I'm asking. I really want to improve myself and make my application stand out.

1: You are never as smart as you think. Just in that simple sentence alone you missed a comma and placed the period at the end of the sentence in the wrong spot.

2: No. Go to a school that you could stand for a year and then try and transfer.

3: So what are your scores? What is you cGPA? What is your SAT/ACT score? What AP courses have you taken? Have any college credits done already? What ec's do you do? What community leadership roles do you have? Play any sports?

1: You are never as smart as you think. Just in that simple sentence alone you missed a comma and placed the period at the end of the sentence in the wrong spot.

2: No. Go to a school that you could stand for a year and then try and transfer.

3: So what are your scores? What is you cGPA? What is your SAT/ACT score? What AP courses have you taken? Have any college credits done already? What ec's do you do? What community leadership roles do you have? Play any sports?

-Way to nitpick, this is an online forum, chill out.

-Ok.

-GPA-Idk yet I'll have to check, definitely a 3.0+
-Haven't taken SAT yet...
-ACT next year...
-I am taking AP Psych and AP Art History, I am INDEPENDENTLY STUDYING 9 others. Along with that I am also taking C.L.E.P.
-I just started at the CC.
-I listed some EC's already.
-No sports.

I don't think I have much leadership, this is why I am asking this question. Maybe you can help me with that?

Members don't see this ad :)
..and placed the period at the end of the sentence in the wrong spot.

Actually, I think (might be wrong here) that putting punctuation after a quotation in that situation is acceptable. If he had been asking a question, would it have made sense for him to stick his ? within the quotation? That looks awkward to me.

I'm way too lazy to look up the "proper" way to punctuate though.

EDIT: Upon further review, you were indeed correct. I really hate grammar sometimes. It is too nitpicky after a while.

Any suggestions guys? Come on, I started this thread because I want advice. The only thing I can come up with is starting a club and joining some. I need more than that.

-I am taking AP Psych and AP Art History, I am INDEPENDENTLY STUDYING 9 others. Along with that I am also taking C.L.E.P.

Just FYI, a lot of schools limit how much you can transfer in as an incoming freshman. It might make you look more competitive when applying, but you'll probably hit a ceiling in terms of how many credits you'll be able to realistically get credit for.

Also check the school, I'd guess CLEP is more likely to fly at your state schools than the big names that mean so much to you.

No, you really don't. Go volunteer or get a job or something. Play a sport. Maybe write for your school paper.
Read my post. I volunteer already.

I think you're being intentionally difficult. Notice that volunteerism isn't the only thing I mentioned. You're already doing far more than most every other high schooler, so my advice is to relax and enjoy your free time.

Why can't I ask a question like and get responses that actually help answer my question?

Note: Depakote, this is not a personal shot at you. I appreciate the information you gave me.

I think you're being intentionally difficult. Notice that volunteerism isn't the only thing I mentioned. You're already doing far more than most every other high schooler, so my advice is to relax and enjoy your free time.

I'm not going to get into the whole "I don't have a lot of friends thing". The thing is, I want to apply to really difficult schools and I need leadership and something that I can do these next to years that will look stellar. I am very proud of myself but I still have too much free time. I know I am working hard and I should be enjoying my free time but honestly, I'd rather be working towards improving my app literally as I am typing this, maybe I am just a workaholic.

I'm not going to get into the whole "I don't have a lot of friends thing". The thing is, I want to apply to really difficult schools and I need leadership and something that I can do these next to years that will look stellar. I am very proud of myself but I still have too much free time. I know I am working hard and I should be enjoying my free time but honestly, I'd rather be working towards improving my app literally as I am typing this, maybe I am just a workaholic.
And just so you know (you probably don't care), the time that I have that is free I spend on playing video games, its a waste. I'd rather be doing something for college than play Halo 3 as weird as that sounds coming from a teenager :rolleyes:

# 1: Make sure you have a good to great GPA. You mentioned you had a 3.0+, I'm not too up-to-date on the admission standards of the top schools these days, but a 3.0 seems low. Try to get it as high as you can.

#2: Get a killer SAT/ACT, this is especially crucial if your GPA is on the lower end.

If you have these 2 things, you should be able to get into some decent schools. It may not be enough for Harvard and the likes (it'll still give you a shot however), but if top 50 is your goal, this is good enough. As far as extra-curricular stuff goes, you seem to be fine. Maybe try to find something that will make you unique in some way, and stick to it.

But honestly, I think you're already doing a lot more than most high school students. I mean in high school, I basically did nothing, except play a few sports, score decently on the SAT, and manage to have a decent gpa (I don't know how, I never studied...). And I made it into a top 50 (barely, I think) school. So yeah, calm down bro.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was only being nitpicky because you called yourself really smart. So I was showing that you made a mistake in your writing to show you that you shouldn't say that you are really smart when there is most likely a person next door that can blow right by you. I'm only giving some good life advice.

Anyways, get a great SAT/ACT score, have a 4.0 (seriously) or as close to it as you can, continue volunteer work, do community service, have a leadership role in something, play a sport, work, take a few college courses if possible, take AP courses if possible, and communicate with colleges that you are interested in applying with.

I don't care about an Ivy for UG I want to eventually go to Princeton or something along those lines for graduate school which is completely doable. The only thing is, you guys are giving me advice on stuff I already know. You mention leadership, could you be more specific? I am considering starting a club or two and joining some IDK though since clubs take a lot of work. Again, good stuff, just be more specific (if you can). Thanks.

I say you're either posting this because you're fishing for compliments and reassurances of your greatness, or you're seriously worried about this. If it's the former, clear out. If it's the latter, use your free time to hang out with friends or your boy/girlfriend. Or go find some friends or a boy/girlfriend. It's great that you're doing so much, but when colleges ask you what you do in your free time (a pretty likely question, if you do an interview), have something to say besides 'video games'.

Or you could take up a sport. Running is handy, and it's a great workout.

This is also good advice towards a "hook". Kind of. All the activities you listed are not going to work as a hook, unless you're a master of words or have had some significant and original experience in one of them. For your hook, try finding something about yourself that no one else has. Maybe you can peel a banana with your toes. Maybe you were in diapers until you were four. Whatever it is, no matter how embarrassing or off-the-wall it may be, go with it. Seriously. You are more than your resume.

I say you're either posting this because you're fishing for compliments and reassurances of your greatness, or you're seriously worried about this. If it's the former, clear out. If it's the latter, use your free time to hang out with friends or your boy/girlfriend. Or go find some friends or a boy/girlfriend. It's great that you're doing so much, but when colleges ask you what you do in your free time (a pretty likely question, if you do an interview), have something to say besides 'video games'.

This is also good advice towards a "hook". Kind of. All the activities you listed are not going to work as a hook, unless you're a master of words or have had some significant and original experience in one of them. For your hook, try finding something about yourself that no one else has. Maybe you can peel a banana with your toes. Maybe you were in diapers until you were four. Whatever it is, no matter how embarrassing or off-the-wall it may be, go with it. Seriously. You are more than your resume.

Believe me, its the latter of the two, I'm very concerned (although I do appreciate the compliments :D). I honestly do not want to take up a sport, I really am terrible at sports. I do not understand what your definition of the "hook" is. I tutor little kids and volunteer at a center for disabled children, I don't think that would be a hook (at least at competitive schools). I know what a hook is haha, but I don't understand what you are trying to say. I don't really have a special talent or anything, do you suggest anything I can DO that will give me an edge? The banana thing would only work in an interview or something thats why I was a little puzzled.

Agree with above. You ask for help, but shoot down actual suggestions with arrogant statements, such as "you guys are giving me advice on stuff I already know." IT'S BECAUSE YOU'RE ALREADY DOING WHAT YOU NEED TO DO! Just calm down, I don't care if you do feel like you have too much free time. Honestly, someone in your position doesn't need to bend over backwards to shadow physicians, do bench research, and AP/CLEP out of every single course that you can. It's good to show interest in academic pursuits, but that's not what's going to set you out from anyone else. On an application, they'll see a kid who's gunning to get into college, and not much else.

Hook = something that you enjoy doing for the sake of doing it, and are passionate about. It doesn't even have to be that weird, it just has to be something you actually, honestly care about. Basically, if it's something you wouldn't be doing if you weren't trying to get into a "top 50" college to boost your chances at getting into medical school, would you still be doing it just for yourself? If the answer is no, then it isn't your hook. My hook was choir, and since I'm a guy it was especially interesting to some people. It's even come up in my personal statement for residency. You know why? Because I'd be doing it if I weren't in medical school, and I plan to do it once I find the time during my residency. And when I'm an attending. And when I'm retired. And when I'm on the verge of death. It's all because I enjoy it, and I do it for me and no one else. Just find something you actually enjoy because THAT will make you a real person, and real people get into college. No one is going to believe that you began doing research and shadowing and volunteering to teach disabled children as a high schooler (as admirable as those things are) because you find personal enjoyment in those things. BE HUMAN! That, with whatever other insanely involved academic pursuit you are undertaking, will be enough to get you into just about ANY school you'd be interested in.

If you aren't interested in doing that, then go international. Do an exchange program or mission trip. But I'd advise the above at this point.

Also, if you want actual help, don't be so stuck up about it. These people are trying to give you actual advice. If you "already know it," then the least you could do is cordially thank them all for taking the time out of their day to try to help you.

I'm talking about... Well, really, your essay. You can blah-blah-blah away on your resume about all the fantabulous things that you've done to better your community, but unless you've cured the common cold or built a better mousetrap, it's unlikely that any of your activities is going to be a hook. Admissions counselors have seen all the things you're doing before (not to put you down, because you're working very hard and they appreciate that, but so did the thousand other schmucks applying). What you need to find is something that sets you apart. If you can apply it towards your resume, great! Go for it! Enter an eating contest, start a horoscope column in your school newspaper, or make clothes out of duct-tape and start your own clothing line. What's really going to swing you in or out the door is your essay. I think I came at this the wrong way. It doesn't have to be a talent--for instance, I hate iPods. I think they're overpriced, of subpar quality and lock you in, preventing you from switching to non-Apple products. This isn't a talent, but it's something that I believe that definitely sets me apart from the crowd. You need to stop focusing on how many activities you're doing and start focusing on being a well-rounded person. Colleges are greedy. They don't want just good grades, they don't want just clubs and sports and volunteerism, they also want you to have a social life and quirks and interests and such.

Stop doing, start living.

The only thing I can think of is writing a book of some kind. I have Epilepsy so maybe I can write a book about that. Don't know what KIND of book, or how to get it published but I guess that is an idea. I am also looking into starting a club for high schoolers who want to go into medicine (seriously considering this), but that was for leadership. Honestly, the only hook I can come up with is the book which has crossed my mind a few times. Do you think it can be done?

Just as a side note, I really don't think I have exceptional talents, if I do I haven't discovered them yet. I am not much of a choir fan. I used to plan the violin but I stopped that (wish I didn't). A decent hook would have been picking up the bass violin (something no one plays) or the Oboe or organ.

Anyway, is it ok if my hook is more academically geared? What I mean is writing that book on Epilepsy or inventing something simple but that CAN BE USED. I don't have much time to learn a difficult instrument now.

The only thing I can think of is writing a book of some kind. I have Epilepsy so maybe I can write a book about that. Don't know what KIND of book, or how to get it published but I guess that is an idea. I am also looking into starting a club for high schoolers who want to go into medicine (seriously considering this), but that was for leadership. Honestly, the only hook I can come up with is the book which has crossed my mind a few times. Do you think it can be done?

No, no book. Don't write any books. In fact, I hope you're kidding about writing a book. Starting a club, if it floats your boat, fine, go for it. All the same, I don't think you're hearing the point of the postings. You don't have to write books or win Nobel prizes to get into even the best colleges.

You're a teenager! You have almost the least amount of responsibility you will ever have in your entire life! You should spend the rest of it having fun instead of acting like an assistant professor trying to get tenured. Get out, have fun! You've got plenty of time in the rest of your life to write books about epilepsy and do bench research. Just focus on these things right now:

1) Doing well on the SAT/ACT
2) Being a teenager

Seriously. Very, very seriously. You're fine, stop worrying about writing books or getting into medical school or whatever else you're academically concerned about. Hang out with your friends, go to lame dances, wake up at 1pm on weekends and holidays, meet people that you are attracted to. These should be your priorities right now in whatever order you choose. You'll do fine.

The above post is solid gold.
You ask for help, but shoot down actual suggestions with arrogant statements, such as "you guys are giving me advice on stuff I already know." IT'S BECAUSE YOU'RE ALREADY DOING WHAT YOU NEED TO DO!
Word.

Seriously, don't worry about getting a hook. You're doing enough activities that your whole application will be your hook. You don't need to discover a new element or something to stand out. The more you worry about being unique, the more likely it is that you're just going to blend in. Think goth kids.

-GPA-Idk yet I'll have to check, definitely a 3.0+
-Haven't taken SAT yet...
-ACT next year...
-I just started at the CC.
-I listed some EC's already.
-No sports.

Seriously kid, you're the one who needs to chill out.

You want to stand out? I can give you tons of tips, but just warning in advance: I didn't follow any of them.

*AWARDS Join a club and stand out in it. That doesn't always mean leadership. Wouldn't it look great if you got first place at nationals for something?

*Show progression over the years. Join a club/outside activity you can be ACTIVE in for several years. A list of clubs that say "member of" is pointless.

*OMG, TWO hospitals? O...k. So what? Do you know how many other applicants volunteer at hospitals? Have you considered shadowing a doctor instead?

Now will you calm down? This forum seems chalk full of people who can't take a break without it being "annoying". You'll get plenty of study time in medical school. Why not just be a teenager now?

Seriously kid, you're the one who needs to chill out.

You want to stand out? I can give you tons of tips, but just warning in advance: I didn't follow any of them.

*AWARDS Join a club and stand out in it. That doesn't always mean leadership. Wouldn't it look great if you got first place at nationals for something?

*Show progression over the years. Join a club/outside activity you can be ACTIVE in for several years. A list of clubs that say "member of" is pointless.

*OMG, TWO hospitals? O...k. So what? Do you know how many other applicants volunteer at hospitals? Have you considered shadowing a doctor instead?

Now will you calm down? This forum seems chalk full of people who can't take a break without it being "annoying". You'll get plenty of study time in medical school. Why not just be a teenager now?

I am trying to get in touch with doctors from different specialties. I do many different things at the two hospitals besides volunteer in the ER. At one I do research like I mentioned. Lots of kids volunteer at hospitals for quick hours. I have over 300 and only did it during this past summer. What I think would look even better is maybe actually creating a couple of clubs. I am also looking into joining some, I need to think about it.

Also, how is inventing something simple and writing a book about Epilepsy not good? Why can't that be my hook?

I was thinking like an easy to read book with like 250 pages which includes a glossary of terms, pictures. Websites, etc. Something cool but something advanced enough to be used on a research project in high school.

Hey Jeff, have you ever heard of nylf- medicine? It's like a 10 day trip to a university and you learn about the medical field. Maybe that would help on the college applications, I'm trying it anyway this summer.
Edit: I also have to wonder, are you doing this just to look good or do you actually enjoy/want it genuinely?

Also, how is inventing something simple and writing a book about Epilepsy not good? Why can't that be my hook?
Dude, come on. You're seriously going to suddenly become an inventor to get into college? I'm going to say this again in very clear terms with all sorts of gaudy typefacing so you can't miss it: You are already doing plenty of activities to get into a top college and don't need to do anything else. Writing a book just seems like a massive waste since you're not exactly an expert on epilepsy or on writing things. Is it not obvious why doing all this stuff that's totally out-of-the-blue won't really affect you in any way other than squandering your time?

I also have to wonder, are you doing this just to look good or do you actually enjoy/want it genuinely?
Look good, not that there's anything wrong with that. It's just part of the game.

Look good, not that there's anything wrong with that. It's just part of the game.

This is true, however, if you loathe what you are doing and just want the prestige of being a doctor then I sincerely feel sorry for you. You can't just want it, there has to be some passion in what you're doing imo.

What I think would look even better is maybe actually creating a couple of clubs. I am also looking into joining some, I need to think about it.

You're totally missing the point here. In fact, I'm going to go ahead and psychoanalyze you:

*Quantity over quality. 300 hours, 2 hospitals, creating a couple of clubs, joining some
Colleges don't care. They don't care if you start nine hundred zillion little clubs and go nowhere with them. What DO they care about? I reiterate: kick ass in ONE club. Win awards, stay with the club for several years, and think up new ideas to progress it.

*Wanting a little much for your age and social status, dontcha think?
You're a high school student. INVENTING SOMETHING SIMPLE? Good god, ants-in-the-pants. Deal with the fact that you just can't win a Nobel Prize right now.

*Do you really care?
Why do you want to write that book on Epilepsy anyway? Would you do it if no college in the universe ever knew or cared about it? Why invent something? Normally, I'd say go for it. But your post screams "I want to invent something just to get in a good college." You.don't.need.to. That's what everyone here's trying to tell you.

You're too focused on "getting in." Focus a little more on doing what you love.

You're totally missing the point here. In fact, I'm going to go ahead and psychoanalyze you:

*Quantity over quality. 300 hours, 2 hospitals, creating a couple of clubs, joining some
Colleges don't care. They don't care if you start nine hundred zillion little clubs and go nowhere with them. What DO they care about? I reiterate: kick ass in ONE club. Win awards, stay with the club for several years, and think up new ideas to progress it.

*Wanting a little much for your age and social status, dontcha think?
You're a high school student. INVENTING SOMETHING SIMPLE? Good god, ants-in-the-pants. Deal with the fact that you just can't win a Nobel Prize right now.

*Do you really care?
Why do you want to write that book on Epilepsy anyway? Would you do it if no college in the universe ever knew or cared about it?
Why invent something? Normally, I'd say go for it. But your post screams "I want to invent something just to get in a good college." You.don't.need.to. That's what everyone here's trying to tell you.

You're too focused on "getting in." Focus a little more on doing what you love.

-I'm a junior...and how can you stay with a club for several years?:confused:
-Yes I would, I wouldn't invent something though because the invention really would be something for college and not something I just did on my own because I wanted to.

Okay, I'm all for you doing a bunch of stuff for college to get in but its QUALITY not QUANTITY. You wanna take a bunch of hard classes? Great... get a 4.0 not a 3.0. You want to volunteer at a hospital? Great cut the crappy stuff and shadow. You want to stand out? Great do an internship over summer or programs and such.

Honestly, you shouldn't have a ton of extra time if you are doing all of that... if you are sleeping and eating and going to school full time. So if you are.... you aren't volunteering that much, working on your homework barely... etc.

You need to focus on doing these things and making it amazing... quality not quantity again. That's awesome that you did 100 million things... but the committment, the leadership, the extra stuff... that is what is more important.

Take a deep breath, bang your head against the wall, get gauze, and take a deep breath again... (That's what I did when I was in your situation... and it made me snap out of it and realize I was nuts)

If you continue on this path of OMG WHAT ELSE CAN I DO... you WONT get into your top schools because you will have a very iffy GPA, a ton of activities, but nothing that pops out and says I'm committed to something, I have a real passion for this. You still have to remain human. The competition is going to be rough but you are definitely going about things the wrong way.

What can you do to better your chances into getting into your top schools?
Commit yourself to somethign you really enjoy. Find hobbies. Shadow. Get your grades up. Get a job.

I used to hate sports.... until I found figure skating. I barely had any free time... now I'm still committed to things for years straight with lots of free time to hang out with friends, relax, read, write my novel, end enjoy my senior year WHILE still volunteering, working, school, friends, family, clubs, etc. This time in your life is a balancing act... embrace is and see what you can do. Your employers are going to want a personality. If you can't find yourself and be committed and not floppy and frantic... you wont get what you want.

my $.02

EDIT: I notice you like to make a few posts right after each other... there is a great invention that enables you to EDIT what you just previously typed. Try it sometime.

-I'm a junior...and how can you stay with a club for several years?:confused:
-Yes I would, I wouldn't invent something though because the invention really would be something for college and not something I just did on my own because I wanted to.

Example:
9th grade Joined HOSA and participated in competitions
10th grade Won first place in state HOSA competition
11th grade Became secretary of school HOSA club, won third place at nationals HOSA competition
12th grade Became president of school HOSA club

Now, you're severely limited. What happened the first two years? Living under a rock much? Get out there and find a club you enjoy! Play up your strengths. Oh come on, you have to be good at something. Math? Creative writing? Knowing odd random facts? Playing an instrument? At least try to win something this year. Prove that passion.

That's an ickle bit better. You see, no Nobel Prizes yet. But heck, why not? Go write that novel. Don't expect it to be a best seller.

Do a sport - it doesn't matter if you suck at it. Not everyone is Tom Brady or A-Rod. Just play, and have fun.

Do a sport - it doesn't matter if you suck at it. Not everyone is Tom Brady or A-Rod. Just play, and have fun.

If you don't get into the type of school you want to right out of high school, life isn't over. You can still transfer to a better school if you chose to. I did a lot of work preparing myself for applying to a certain graduate program when I was a college student. I communicated back and forth with the program directors asking how my application stacks up to the people they have admitted in the past and what I can still do to improve on the application I have. I have several ec's, a couple of internships, and two jobs realted to the subject I want to work with. All they recommended to me was to retake two courses and apply. So here I am taking those two courses over and just working.

Okay, I'm all for you doing a bunch of stuff for college to get in but its QUALITY not QUANTITY. You wanna take a bunch of hard classes? Great... get a 4.0 not a 3.0. You want to volunteer at a hospital? Great cut the crappy stuff and shadow. You want to stand out? Great do an internship over summer or programs and such.

Honestly, you shouldn't have a ton of extra time if you are doing all of that... if you are sleeping and eating and going to school full time. So if you are.... you aren't volunteering that much, working on your homework barely... etc.

You need to focus on doing these things and making it amazing... quality not quantity again. That's awesome that you did 100 million things... but the committment, the leadership, the extra stuff... that is what is more important.

Take a deep breath, bang your head against the wall, get gauze, and take a deep breath again... (That's what I did when I was in your situation... and it made me snap out of it and realize I was nuts)

If you continue on this path of OMG WHAT ELSE CAN I DO... you WONT get into your top schools because you will have a very iffy GPA, a ton of activities, but nothing that pops out and says I'm committed to something, I have a real passion for this. You still have to remain human. The competition is going to be rough but you are definitely going about things the wrong way.

What can you do to better your chances into getting into your top schools?
Commit yourself to somethign you really enjoy. Find hobbies. Shadow. Get your grades up. Get a job.

I used to hate sports.... until I found figure skating. I barely had any free time... now I'm still committed to things for years straight with lots of free time to hang out with friends, relax, read, write my novel, end enjoy my senior year WHILE still volunteering, working, school, friends, family, clubs, etc. This time in your life is a balancing act... embrace is and see what you can do. Your employers are going to want a personality. If you can't find yourself and be committed and not floppy and frantic... you wont get what you want.

my $.02

EDIT: I notice you like to make a few posts right after each other... there is a great invention that enables you to EDIT what you just previously typed. Try it sometime.

Okay, I think you are asumming I am just joining stuff to put on my app. Yes and no. Yes all of this is for my application. However, I am fully committed to all my activities. My point is that you are saying "Quality, not quantity" yet I have been fully involved in all my activities. Look above dude, I volunteer, I AM GETTING IN TOUCH WITH DOC'S FOR SHADOWING. I must have said that a few times. I know EXACTLY what you mean. I volunteer, but I am going above and beyond and shadowing. I am going to join a few clubs and CREATE a club. FYI, I am taking a non AP elective called creative writing in school and will be getting my work published, which will up my application a bit.

You say quality, not quantity but yet I have both. Even though it sounds like I don't. I mean its not like I'm joining seven clubs and staying at "member" status or whatever. Even though I only have two years I still think I might start a club in a few weeks. However, someone here said that isn't a good idea. They also said, create a club and do nothing with it. You are reading me wrong. Why the hell would I start a club and do nothing with it? If I can pull this off I will do flyers around the school to get the word out. Call in guest speakers, arrange field trips, etc. I want to make it something that will look amazing for an Ivy and something great for my members to put on their college app too.

I don't see the problem with this. I'm not one of those kids who joins several clubs, does NOTHING IN THEM and apply's to Harvard, thats the kind of person you think I am. I'm not. Last time I checked, you can be committed to any number of things if you want.

As far as awards go, I don't know, I would be nice to win something. Next year I will be in NHS and this year and next I am running for student council president. Any suggestions on activities that could give me rewards?

...and what about that book? Did you guys even read what I posted. The book I wanted to create would basically be an easy to read guide for teens on Epilepsy, written by a teen with the disease. I turn 18 next year and could probably get it published. The book will include websites to help with research, pictures. Glossary of terms, the whole nine. Why not?

For starters, I'd calm down. If you plan on being a physician the undergrad you go to is going to be very insignificant. The topic is debated ad nauseum in PA and probably will here too. The thing you should be considering first off is where you would be happy. Not what looks best or what the "prestige" of the school is, in the real world, people couldn't care less about where you went so don't stress over it.

As for a 'hook'. They are all over rated as it is. If you go looking for one you will eventually find one, and I promise 3,000 other applicants will have the same one. Be yourself, do things you like to do.

As was stated earlier, the amount of things you do says absolutely nothing about you other than maybe you are pandering to adcoms. It is important to get involved, yes, but it is transparent when people are doing it just because they feel they need to in order to meet some end and not because they care about it.

Leadership experience: You can get this by being an officer in a club, or you can get it by going out and getting a job. Most of mine came from the time I was 16-18 when I was working in a department store and ended up supervising my area. You learn real world things like how to deal with difficult people, how to get people to work together on something, and how to diffuse situations and think out resolutions quickly. Yeah, I got paid too, which is why I did it in the first place but the value of that leadership experience is way higher than someone who organized a bake sale their senior year.

Getting involved in your community is another way. Organize and drive the elderly to the polls on election day. Work to register voters. Volunteer and train with the Red Cross to do disaster relief. Volunteer for the ONE.org campaign. Nothing beats real world experience. Volunteer with a church. Churches do some of the most important work when it comes to helping people who need it and they tend to love getting young adults involved.

Do things that don't angle towards medicine. Tunnel vision is a bad thing no matter where you are in life. Hang out with friends, pick up photography, do something normal.

I think that is really all I have to say on the matter for the time being, it may not be what you wanted to hear, but it's the honest to God truth.

You say quality, not quantity but yet I have both
Why, yes you do. See my above post.

If you really want to do this book thing, go for it. I think your time would be much better spent trying to break out of your social shell, but if it floats your boat, give it a shot.

I'm very surprised no one has commented on your GPA.

You are clearly spreading yourself too thin. People forget the basics with getting into good colleges: grades. Whatever you may think of your own intelligence, a 3.0+ is not really that impressive. And if your SAT is not great you will be just not looked at by certain schools unless you have a "hook".

Instead of trying to invent a hook in a year, focus more on your schoolwork and bringing that GPA up closer to a 4.0.

I'm very surprised no one has commented on your GPA.

You are clearly spreading yourself too thin. People forget the basics with getting into good colleges: grades. Whatever you may think of your own intelligence, a 3.0+ is not really that impressive. And if your SAT is not great you will be just not looked at by certain schools unless you have a "hook".

Instead of trying to invent a hook in a year, focus more on your schoolwork and bringing that GPA up closer to a 4.0.
Alright, I asked and it is a 3.3 but that was because I basically failed freshman year (stupid mistake). A 3.3 is decent and I can EASILY bring that over a 3.5 and hopefully get a 4.0 or close to it by the time I graduate. I am aiming for anything over 2,000 on the SAT I.

For starters, I'd calm down. If you plan on being a physician the undergrad you go to is going to be very insignificant. The topic is debated ad nauseum in PA and probably will here too. The thing you should be considering first off is where you would be happy. Not what looks best or what the "prestige" of the school is, in the real world, people couldn't care less about where you went so don't stress over it.

As for a 'hook'. They are all over rated as it is. If you go looking for one you will eventually find one, and I promise 3,000 other applicants will have the same one. Be yourself, do things you like to do.

As was stated earlier, the amount of things you do says absolutely nothing about you other than maybe you are pandering to adcoms. It is important to get involved, yes, but it is transparent when people are doing it just because they feel they need to in order to meet some end and not because they care about it.

Leadership experience: You can get this by being an officer in a club, or you can get it by going out and getting a job. Most of mine came from the time I was 16-18 when I was working in a department store and ended up supervising my area. You learn real world things like how to deal with difficult people, how to get people to work together on something, and how to diffuse situations and think out resolutions quickly. Yeah, I got paid too, which is why I did it in the first place but the value of that leadership experience is way higher than someone who organized a bake sale their senior year.

Getting involved in your community is another way. Organize and drive the elderly to the polls on election day. Work to register voters. Volunteer and train with the Red Cross to do disaster relief. Volunteer for the ONE.org campaign. Nothing beats real world experience. Volunteer with a church. Churches do some of the most important work when it comes to helping people who need it and they tend to love getting young adults involved.

Do things that don't angle towards medicine. Tunnel vision is a bad thing no matter where you are in life. Hang out with friends, pick up photography, do something normal.

I think that is really all I have to say on the matter for the time being, it may not be what you wanted to hear, but it's the honest to God truth.

This sounds like something I would want to do.

If you really want to do this book thing, go for it. I think your time would be much better spent trying to break out of your social shell, but if it floats your boat, give it a shot.

Preach it. Write the book if you want, no one here is your boss. You seem confident, for some reason, that you can get it written, edited, rewritten, re-edited, rewritten and published in the next year so it counts for applications. Most of the people here, some of them already in medical school, think you should be living at least something that resembles a normal teenage life. Advice to which you should pay careful attention.

For the record, there have been no fewer than 4 posts commenting on your book, but you're acting like no one has responded about it. If I had to guess, it's because you don't like what you're hearing. If that's the case, then stop asking about it and just write the thing. Otherwise, you need to learn to take criticism, constructive or otherwise, a little better. Not everything, ESPECIALLY IN MEDICINE, is constructive. All you keep doing is shooting down suggestions. If you already have quality AND quantity, like you say, then what more do you need to do? Nothing. That's it. You're done. You said it yourself, you have quality and quantity. Perfection. You've got nothing else to accomplish.

So now, for the love of everything holy, go out tonight, get some buddies together, and wrap someone's house just for the fun of it. That's what teenagers do.

How the hell can you bring a 3.3 to a 4.0? No, I think the most you can raise it is to a 3.5, so all this ec crap is just doing you in. Great job ruining your chances for college.

Well, he's a junior (I think...), so that means he basically has the same amount of classes left as he's already taken. Perfect grades, then, would raise his GPA to a 3.65. As tempting as it is to provoke people this neurotic in hopes that they have some sort of hilarious nervous breakdown or flip-out session, I have to disagree on the ruined chances thing. He's in pretty good shape pending his SAT/ACT scores, of course.

Oh yeah, and I second everything Sandlot man up there said.

How the hell can you bring a 3.3 to a 4.0? No, I think the most you can raise it is to a 3.5, so all this ec crap is just doing you in. Great job ruining your chances for college.
Not really, I am also taking A.P classes and 2 community college classes not just the regular College Prep and Honors courses. A.P weighs pretty heavy and so far I am doing fine and I got straight A's in regular classes and I screwed up freshman year. I have two years to bring this thing up to a 4, I'm fine.

They do. At least I know University of Illinois did, but they probably convert it to unweighted. I applied with a 5. something... :laugh:

They look at both, actually. The unweighted ranks higher than the weighted because there are so many different systems for weighted grades, and besides that, there are a lot of schools that don't offer weighted classes.

Sorry, bud. Looks like you're stuck with your 3.65. Haul some butt for the ACT and SAT, and then there's always SATII subjects if you really want to pimp yourself out...

They look at both, actually. The unweighted ranks higher than the weighted because there are so many different systems for weighted grades, and besides that, there are a lot of schools that don't offer weighted classes.

Sorry, bud. Looks like you're stuck with your 3.65. Haul some butt for the ACT and SAT, and then there's always SATII subjects if you really want to pimp yourself out...
Why can't I exceed a 3.65? I mentioned I am not only taking honors this year and next but am also taking CC classes as well which go into my GPA as well. I hope a 3.65 is good enough for the NYU range. Should be. Oh and I am taking dual enrollment next year. This summer I am also looking into taking classes at Princeton U or NYU. There is this leadership type program going on next summer at P.U but like I said, NYU classes will go towards college credit so why not, I plan on applying early decision there so I might has well show them I am interested in their school.

Last edited:
Why can't I exceed a 3.65? I mentioned I am not only taking honors this year and next but am also taking CC classes as well which go into my GPA as well. I hope a 3.65 is good enough for the NYU range. Should be. Oh and I am taking dual enrollment next year. This summer I am also looking into taking classes at Princeton U or NYU. There is this leadership type program going on next summer at P.U but like I said, NYU classes will go towards college credit so why not, I plan on applying early decision there so I might has well show them I am interested in their school.
Just a quick question. If you are really interested in a particular school (NYU in my case), would attending a summer program/class/ internship give you an edge at all?

Why can't I exceed a 3.65?
That's just your unweighted average. 2 years of 3.3 plus 2 years of 4.0 = 7.3. Divide that by 2, and that's a 3.65. That assumes you're taking the same amount of credits in your first two and last two years. Your weighted GPA might be gigantic and way over a 4.0 by the time you graduate.