Stanford and Duke Secondaries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CheckMate

My lost shaker of salt
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
-

Members don't see this ad.

I just wanted to let everyone know that I recieved an invite to complete the duke secondary this morning. I don't think they screen so I'm sure the emails will continue to roll in. Have fun, it's a LONG secondary :scared:

I received an invite for the Duke secondary early this morning. I have yet to hear from Stanford.

Best of luck

Members don't see this ad :)
hey there...

duke DOES screen sooo..congrats!!! was that an email or snail mail invite??

~LR :thumbup:

Duke screens? In their email, they discussed how applications should reconsider applying if they have less than a 3.2 GPA. Does anyone know what their screening criteria is?

Not to add to the confusion, but I called Duke last week to inquire as to when secondaries were coming. And the woman told me that they don't screen. I asked it if was a recent change, and she said within the last few years. I'm not sure if she was on the pipe or what, but that's what she told me.

duke has never screened. everyone and their mom gets a secondary.

Stanford takes some precious time before sending out the screened secondary....no worries.........Last year, I received mine in October after having submitted the AMCAS fairly early. :)

Good luck,
Harps

derf said:
not true. i know they screened in 2000, according to the internal stanford med school memo.

So I called Duke's office today and I was like "are secondaries screened or not" and the lady (very nice) was like "no, everyone gets one" and I was like "is that a recent change??" "no, it's been like that for a couple of years" "but your website says only qualified applicants get the secondary"...

her response: "yes, we really should update that soon."

then she said that they hadn't started downloading amcas yet so we could expect secondaries (for those ppl that are verified) late next week.

SO I AM SUPER CONFUSED -- how do ppl already have duke secondaries???

I got Duke this afternoon. It was an email. I was verified July 2nd. I thought they screened as well, but I got that info from MSAR/Princeton Review Guide to Med Schools. I guess the admissions ladies would know better though.

As for Sinai, I got the second email telling us that although everyone was sent the secondary invite, not everyone got it, including me. I had to use the link posted on these forums.

...calming down...

Okay, I called Duke again. The thing is, they're not screening. They're just taking a while to upload all the secondary invite emails since they have so many to send out. It will probably take all weekend before they are done with this.

BTW, the 2 week deadline isn't firm. Take your time with the secondary.

:phew:

When you go to the login screen for Duke it says

NOTE: Only applicants who have received an official invitation for the 2004/2005 application year from the Medical School Admissions Office will be permitted to register.

So I give up trying to figure out if they screen or not.

IndyZX said:
not true. i know they screened in 2000, according to the internal stanford med school memo.

I think you might be confused -- the internal stanford med school memo discussed their own secondary screening process, not that of other schools. (stanford typically sends secondaries to about 50-60% of applicants).

What the memo does mention about other schools is matriculation rates of accepted applicants.

derf said:

that is so awkward because my Dad got one!

anyway, my app is still active, not processed, and I got the Duke this morning, meaning they dont screen....apparently my dad got one too...

go bears!

AJM said:
I think you might be confused -- the internal stanford med school memo discussed their own secondary screening process, not that of other schools. (stanford typically sends secondaries to about 50-60% of applicants).

What the memo does mention about other schools is matriculation rates of accepted applicants.
Actually, it does have the info I was referring to for Duke. Check it out closely... it goes through Applications Received/Secondaries Sent/Secondaries Received/Interviews/Offers for about 10 top tier schools.

Of course, they may be totally unscreened this year, though.

IndyZX said:
Actually, it does have the info I was referring to for Duke. Check it out closely... it goes through Applications Received/Secondaries Sent/Secondaries Received/Interviews/Offers for about 10 top tier schools.

Of course, they may be totally unscreened this year, though.

Indy do you mind posting the link or PMing me with it? I just have the one that the above poster refers to (matriculation rates for 5 schools), couldn't find Duke on there?

Thanks in advance