Stanford Away rotation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2011medstudent2015

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey All,

I'm going to be rotating at Stanford in plastic surgery in September. The application form says we need a car as they use multiple sites - can anyone comment on how far the sites are from each other, and what you did for a car? Are there a few sites that all plastic surgery students go to? How far in advance will they let me know exactly where I'll be?

Also, any advice/tips for the rotation?

If anyone has any input I would be so thankful!

Thankssss

Members don't see this ad.

If they still do it the same way as when I was there a couple years ago you will rotate through four different services in different locations from palo alto all the way to santa clara valley which is almost 20 miles away, so yes you'll need a car. I got lucky that I had some friends from california one of who's family happened to have a spare car they were willing to let me borrow. Never hurts to use connections and ask around. If not you'll likely have to rent something.

No special tips for the Stanford rotation, they have a strong program and you'll learn a lot and have the opportunity to impress attendings who will be able to write you a strong letter. Like on all your away rotations you need to work hard (help the residents whenever possible, volunteer to see consults, drop notes, get labs, etc), read and prepare for cases and educational conferences, and be a team player (be friendly and get along with your fellow rotators, nobody wants a jackass).

Good luck!