Stanford Racism

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dpgc21

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I checked out the story and it is a true story. How can the moderators dare to silence free speech. This is such an insult. If anyone wanted to verify the story all they had to do was click the link the original poster had placed on the post or copy it and search on yahoo. The story is in the Palo Alto weekly news, the Mercury news. I can not believe that SDN would be anti-free speech. It is like the republicans have taken over this sight as well.

http://www.paloaltoonline.com/news/show_story.php?id=1383

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/merc...4606.htm?source=rss&channel=mercurynews_local

There are two sides to the story, and the moderators should allow for the exchange of ideas.

Members don't see this ad.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/n/a/2005/05/18/state/n124628D63.DTL

scroll to the middle.

I think those who clicked on the mercurynews link that it was phony becasue it brought them to the registration page. But to access articles on the SJ Mercury News website, u need to register. Sorta like the NY Times website. Unlocking the other thread would be nice. Not like the article proves that Stanford med did anything wrong. They are just accusations in a lawsuit, but might be wortwhile for future med students to know about this.

Uegis said:
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/n/a/2005/05/18/state/n124628D63.DTL

scroll to the middle.

I think those who clicked on the mercurynews link that it was phony becasue it brought them to the registration page. But to access articles on the SJ Mercury News website, u need to register. Sorta like the NY Times website. Unlocking the other thread would be nice. Not like the article proves that Stanford med did anything wrong. They are just accusations in a lawsuit, but might be wortwhile for future med students to know about this.

i read the paper version of the SJ mercury news story. yeah, i was a little surprised and miffed that some people were so quick to question the authenticity of the story.

Members don't see this ad :)
j04177117 said:
i read the paper version of the SJ mercury news story. yeah, i was a little surprised and miffed that some people were so quick to question the authenticity of the story.
maybe it's because of the timing of the whole thing. waitlist movement stuff happening now. but this case isn't a reason why someone should not go to stanford. but maybe a thing to look at when applying for a job there. Condi Rice worked as the provost there... so i mean, the whole school can't be that racist.

besides, i'd love to be at Stanford (and i'm not on the waitlist)

dpgc21 said:
I checked out the story and it is a true story. How can the moderators dare to silence free speech. This is such an insult. If anyone wanted to verify the story all they had to do was click the link the original poster had placed on the post or copy it and search on yahoo. The story is in the Palo Alto weekly news, the Mercury news. I can not believe that SDN would be anti-free speech. It is like the republicans have taken over this sight as well.

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/merc...4606.htm?source=rss&channel=mercurynews_local

There are two sides to the story, and the moderators should allow for the exchange of ideas.

While the source is valid, dont be such a drama queen on it.

SDN are republicans now???

Jeez, people love to be polarizing!!!

Sadly... a lot of women medical professors feel frustrated with situtations like this.

I know of a UW SOM professor who was tenured and making significantly less than men in her department. When she went to ask for her pay to be raised to the same level, they told her to go find grants and other support... because they couldn't afford it (even though they could for the other men). She is, by the way, THE national authority in her specific field and very well published. She quit and now works for a private medical group part time and continues to do research on her own.

Lil Homie, You don't know what I have been seeing in life to come to this conclusion. So don't come at me wrong. I am a defender of liberty and am very dissapointed when I see speech being silenced. Every one is entitled to their own opinion, but when your opinion attacks me, you better believe you will get attacked back. If you want to go there lets go there.

It wasn't so much the content of the article but as originally posted, it was meant to be a inflamatory post saying "Racism, do not go to stanford it sucks" type statements in the title and body. It is rabble rousing. If the original post was more tactful in its presentation it might not have been closed.

dpgc21 said:
It is like the republicans have taken over this sight as well.
is this kind of childish flame-bait really necessary to get your point across?

Stanford has had these difficulties for decades. If you have any free time, pick up the book "Walking Out on the Boys." It's about the first female neurosurgeon and her experience and the experiences of others at Stanford. Veeerrrryyy interesting.

Typical. One person files suit and suddenly the whooooolllleee school is under fire and branded as a racist institution.

First off, did you read what the Stanford representative had to say in defense of this? Secondly, can we wait for the court case to be deliberated? This news piece was brought in JUST TODAY and already the OP is making a call-to-arms and stirring unnecessary commotion.

Maybe these are some of the reasons SDN removed your prior post, which I am sure was probably more outrageous and perhaps even more unfounded.

The original poster is upset that SDN closed a post like this, thats why I am outraged. For no reason speech was silenced, we do not own much in society, but speech is something I truly value. You may have a disagreement with me, thats fine atleast we can talk about it, as long as you don't insult me or impune my character atleast we can talk. I reposted this topic because it was unjustly closed. We are all going to be doctors, and there will be a time in which we all have to fight. If you canot fight for the simple things, how will you be able to fight for the larger things?

I could be wrong, but I think it might be policy to shut down a thread if someone makes a request. and someone did that.

i agree that the topic is legitimate and ought not to have been taken down.

Members don't see this ad :)
dpgc21 said:

It is because of comments like these.

:thumbdown:

crazy_cavalier said:
Typical. One person files suit and suddenly the whooooolllleee school is under fire and branded as a racist institution.
One of the articles mentions that several lawsuits have been filed in the past. This fact shows some type of pattern...whether it's institutional inherent I have no idea, but I wouldn't doubt it. It's nothing new people.

The closed thread should have proclaimed: SEXIST and RACIST: Women and Minorities be Aware, since that's what her lawsuit suggests.

I doesn't really seem like a premed discussion and should perhaps be moved to the Everyone Forum.

I dont believe that issues of racism are any more prevalent at Stanford than any other institution, in fact I find Stanford quite progressive and diverse.

Sturgeon said:
I dont believe that issues of racism are any more prevalent at Stanford than any other institution, in fact I find Stanford quite progressive and diverse.
adminstratively? faculty-wise? or just the student body?

dpgc21 said:
It is like the republicans have taken over this sight as well.

This pissed me off. I am republican...OK so that means I am racist?!?! How dare you get away with such a destructive generalization! Aren't you the type who is against that?! RIIIIIiiiiiiiigght. Free speech for your speech only.
I don't care who you are.... you are the one acting on stereotypes. You are the closed minded fool. You are the thought police. You are the one full of venom. You are the one who thinks everyone should think like you or they will suffer your toxic, slanderous but predictable rhetoric.

BTW Algore's father fought against the civil rights amendment, aided by the democrats who called themselves "dixiecrats". BUuuuuuuuuuuut this means nothing to a hate filled person like you.

Blow off!

dpgc21 said:
How can the moderators dare to silence free speech. This is such an insult.

Free speech is only required in the public domain. This site does not function in the public domain, and is therefore in no way required to support all forms of speech. Censorship by the moderators is therefore acceptable and often prudent.
Note that this is my personal opinion, not the opinion of SDN or its moderators. :)

If you want to see speech being silenced, then

(a) Go see Ann Coulter. (And take a tarp - as in Gallagher...)
(b) Try to make a pro-life speech at a Democrat National Convention.​
It's liberals that resort to silencing free speech most often.

Okay. Enough with the liberal this, Republican that.

The thread which was closed was done so because it was posted in an inflammatory manner. If anyone wants to post inflammatory doggerel they're welcome to visit the Everyone forum. Also please note that the thread was closed and not deleted. True suppression of speech would have involved deleting the thread entirely.

That said, if the OP or anyone else wishes to discuss the Standford issue in a tasteful manner, then by all means do so.

Carry on.

SanDiegoSOD said:
Free speech is only required in the public domain. This site does not function in the public domain, and is therefore in no way required to support all forms of speech. Censorship by the moderators is therefore acceptable and often prudent.
Note that this is my personal opinion, not the opinion of SDN or its moderators. :)

I am a political science double major with physics, and your comment made no sense. This is a public domain, just as speech in a restaurant can not be silent, unless it goes against community standards. There are established rules and as long as speech follows those rules it CANNOT be silenced.

Obedeli said:
This pissed me off. I am republican...OK so that means I am racist?!?! How dare you get away with such a destructive generalization! Aren't you the type who is against that?! RIIIIIiiiiiiiigght. Free speech for your speech only.
I don't care who you are.... you are the one acting on stereotypes. You are the closed minded fool. You are the thought police. You are the one full of venom. You are the one who thinks everyone should think like you or they will suffer your toxic, slanderous but predictable rhetoric.

BTW Algore's father fought against the civil rights amendment, aided by the democrats who called themselves "dixiecrats". BUuuuuuuuuuuut this means nothing to a hate filled person like you.

Blow off!

You are a republican great for you, you are also overly sensative. Their are black republicans as well Micheal Steel of Maryland, Allan Keyes, Watts of Oklahoma. I was reffering to the silencing of speech not the fact of racism, because I do not believe they are racist. So before you call me a hate filled mongar I suggest you read my post again and apologize to me.

Mr. Moderator I do apologize to you if I have offended you but the fact that the post was locked really set me off.

dpgc21 said:

I'm checking your original post...you imply anti-free speech to being republican. Am I wrong?

Dr. Chiquita said:
I'm checking your original post...you imply anti-free speech to being republican. Am I wrong?

You know what let me apologize to my conservative friends across the aisle, I am so upset with how things are going now it was a natural reaction for me. So my conservative friends I apologize, now for those who still want some "bring it on".

dpgc21 said:
I am a political science double major with physics, and your comment made no sense. This is a public domain, just as speech in a restaurant can not be silent, unless it goes against community standards. There are established rules and as long as speech follows those rules it CANNOT be silenced.
Although this is very different from a restaurant, note that private businesses can and do prohibit many types of speech from taking place on their premises. A website has even more basis to censor its content.

There are a lot of other forums I visit which are much more rigorous in their enforcement of their terms of service, by the way. SDN is generally pretty liberal.

dpgc21 said:
what's all this about "public domain"? the fact is, people own the servers currently hosting our inane comments, and those people are allowed to say what stays and what does not. this is their site. i know you're feeling frustrated, but seriously...

and what does a "double major with physics" have to do with anything? :confused:

Um, I've got news for you bucko, but Republicans aren't the ones trying to silence free speech on college campuses with hate crime legislation under the banner of "tolerance" (e.g. Harvard). Republicans aren't the ones showing up at speakers with views different than their own and trying to shout them down or raise some ridiculous little protest to shut them up or keep them away (e.g. Clarence Thomas when he came to speak at the UGA Law School (a freakin' Supreme Court Justice!), David Horowitz, Ann Coulter, etc...). Do you know in Canada that saying that you think having homosexual sex is a sin or wrong can get you arrested?

Yeah, you and your little liberal buddies need to go stir that pot you've got brewing over there in the corner before you go about inventing other kettles to call black.

Free speech, my bloomin' bunghole.

EDIT: Apology also accepted here. No need to "bring it on." :thumbup:

dpgc21 said:
You know what let me apologize to my conservative friends across the aisle, I am so upset with how things are going now it was a natural reaction for me. So my conservative friends I apologize, now for those who still want some "bring it on".

I think everybody feels that things are not going the way they like it to be whether you are a democrat or republican. That's not a reason to start stereotyping and make false accusations.

But I will accept your apology. :p

superdevil said:
what's all this about "public domain"? the fact is, people own the servers currently hosting our inane comments, and those people are allowed to say what stays and what does not. this is their site. i know you're feeling frustrated, but seriously...

and what does a "double major with physics" have to do with anything? :confused:

I was letting you know what I studyied in school. I swear I gave out the olive branch, its getting to that time where I have to bust out the patriot missiles. Like I said if you want it, bring it on. I have made my apologizies, their won't be anymore

dpgc21 said:
I was letting you know what I studyied in school. I swear I gave out the olive branch, its getting to that time where I have to bust out the patriot missiles. Like I said if you want it, bring it on. I have made my apologizies, their won't be anymore

Don't only Republicans use patriot missiles?

Your kind would have them destroyed, thus rendering yourself defenseless.....

^^^ i second that. lol at this thread.

i think what we need to do is get back on topic. she was denied an interview. big whoop. this happens to people all the time, white, black, brown, yellow, whatever. look at it this way. asians aren't considered a minority or a URM. you don't see asians going crazy about that and sue every institution that turns away asians because of some imposed quota.

oh and don't get me started on quotas and URMs. that's a whole other discussion.

"Racism at Stanford Med!! Please copy and paste to your colleagues!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

People of color: DO NOT COME TO STANFORD MED!! RACIST SCHOOL!

Two advisors are leaving or suing the School due to racial discrimination - please email to your colleagues!!"

I think the preface was what made people dismiss the thread. Had the OP posted, "Check this out" or something along those lines, it would probably still be open.

The above quote is clearly a smear campaign. Urging people to forward it on? Labeling the whole institution as racist?

BrettBatchelor said:
"Racism at Stanford Med!! Please copy and paste to your colleagues!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

People of color: DO NOT COME TO STANFORD MED!! RACIST SCHOOL!

Two advisors are leaving or suing the School due to racial discrimination - please email to your colleagues!!"

I think the preface was what made people dismiss the thread. Had the OP posted, "Check this out" or something along those lines, it would probably still be open.

The above quote is clearly a smear campaign. Urging people to forward it on? Labeling the whole institution as racist?

:laugh:

OSUdoc08 said:
Don't only Republicans use patriot missiles?

Your kind would have them destroyed, thus rendering yourself defenseless.....

"My Kind" huh, you really want it. I want to know what my kind is supposed to be, what my kind is, you know i apologized for my retoric about the republicans but your punk ass is asking for the biggest ass whooping I can dish out. you know what F*&%K it. I will fight with my back against the wall and take all comers, and show you how my kind gets down you oklahoma billy goat, corn husking, ranching trick. Bring that **** on.

dpgc21 said:
"My Kind" huh, you really want it. I want to know what my kind is supposed to be, what my kind is, you know i apologized for my retoric about the republicans but your punk ass is asking for the biggest ass whooping I can dish out. you know what F*&%K it. I will fight with my back against the wall and take all comers, and show you how my kind gets down you oklahoma billy goat, corn husking, ranching trick. Bring that **** on.

I'm not from Oklahoma,

and I'd hate to see you taking any "comers."

But this might be of interest to you.

ARMCHGayMorMayfly.jpg

May be I'm from the west coast but I was sure that Oklahoma State was in Oklahoma, Maybe they moved it, I may not be sure. Look cuz, If you really want to battle with me then step up your game, if not keep pushing along cuz you have provoked me.

MedicineBird said:
Stanford has had these difficulties for decades. If you have any free time, pick up the book "Walking Out on the Boys." It's about the first female neurosurgeon and her experience and the experiences of others at Stanford. Veeerrrryyy interesting.

Francis Conley did reveal very startling things about Stanford's treatment towards women, and in particular, women in neurosurgery. But, after reading it, I felt that she overtly biased the account of her experiences there. It has its afflictions, but it isn't nearly as bad as she portrays it.

dpgc21 said:
May be I'm from the west coast but I was sure that Oklahoma State was in Oklahoma, Maybe they moved it, I may not be sure. Look cuz, If you really want to battle with me then step up your game, if not keep pushing along cuz you have provoked me.

I drove by here the other day in the ambulance, and saw your car parked out front:

gacafe.jpg

You are correct, Oklahoma state is in Oklahoma. I'm not from Oklahoma.

It's funny that in your picture you say you see my car, unless it is invisible all I see is your house trick. Correctly named. Little trick I eat bitches like you for breakfast, don't try to clown a pro Cuz.

OSUdoc08 said:
I don't recall saying I took that photograph. This might appease your appetite, though:

hotdog.jpg

Why do you keep embarrasing yourself. I said I eat bitches like YOU for breakfast and here you go busting out the old family portrait of yourself. It's good that you want to tangle with me But I don't swing that way cuz the only girls you get on their back are the ones in gross anatomy or on the wards, but you haven't been on the wards until your 3 year so that eliminates half the field. So I'm guessing your girlfriends name is left hand or is it right hand? girl friend or boy friend I don't know how you swing after all you did show me a picture of your favorite after hours spot. Right Cuz?

I am enjoying the pictoral jokes. :thumbup:
DPG Drop the gangsta attitude, you have a computer and your trying to go to med school. Not very gangsta at all.

What is a gangster attitude cuz? What gang have I claimed, because I type like I talk it's gangsta? please we all don't talk the same cuz.

Please refer to everyone including interviewers as "Cuz." See how far it gets you. Could you explain the term "cuz" to me then? Also "trick"?

Status
Not open for further replies.