Start fellowship after PGY-2?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lzzhang07

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I heard there could be some fast track fellowship match process that resident can be matched to another program's fellowship after PGY-2. Essentially instead of doing a 3 yrs residency + 3 yrs fellowship, the schedule is 2 yrs residency + 4 yrs fellowship. I tried to do the research and looks like what I found is "Research Pathway" in one program. However the case is a bit different for me because I might end up with starting fellowship at another program.

Any suggestions for this, or keywords for what I should search?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I heard there could be some fast track fellowship match process that resident can be matched to another program's fellowship after PGY-2. Essentially instead of doing a 3 yrs residency + 3 yrs fellowship, the schedule is 2 yrs residency + 4 yrs fellowship. I tried to do the research and looks like what I found is "Research Pathway" in one program. However the case is a bit different for me because I might end up with starting fellowship at another program.

Thanks!

Now sure what you are asking. There is a research track generally designed for people who intent to pursue an academic career that transition to fellowship after pgy2 to give them extra research time in fellowship. Generally the advantage to this is you are pre-matched so you start making contacts at your residency institution but you are also free to apply elsewhere.

If you aren't intending in following that pathway there is not really a great advantage to doing it this way.

Hi,

Thanks!

What you are describing does not exist for most clinical residents. The ABIM fast track is for dedicated researchers as mentioned above (usually MD/PhD's or people who have prior track record in research), involving at least 20 months of direct patient care in IM followed by fellowship training that are 12-24 months long (depending on specialty). This shortens the clinical training time to help jump start a research career after fellowship (for example for cardiology, instead of 3yrs of IM+3yrs of cards, you do 2yrs IM+2yrs of clinical cards, followed usually by 3 years of research). Some institutions guarantee a fellowship spot whereas others will make you interview elsewhere for fellowship. At the end of the day, research-oriented folks tend to spend longer in training + instructorship/early career development phase prior to getting their first faculty appointment (usually with a K-level award at that time).

Hi,

Thanks!
All of the "fast tracks" are LONGER than the traditional tracks, typically by 6-12 months, because while they usually chop 1 year off residency and 1 year off fellowship, they add 3 years of required research to be board eligible.