Medical Starting clinicals, need help with career planning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Question

Member Question
Volunteer Staff
Reaction score
Hi all, I am starting my clinical rotations soon and I have no idea what I want to match. I think I want a mix of medicine and surgery, so I like OB/GYN and Urology, but I don't have any publications (been involved with 2 research projects but no pubs). I am freaking out, haven't taken step yet, and will apply to residency in a little over a year. Any advice welcome.

— Experts please respond to this post —

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure this question needs anonymity and you may want to post in the regular med student forums.

If you really want urology, you are exceedingly unlikely to be competitive in the absence of taking a research year. OB/Gyn is much more attainable and while research is always nice it isn't necessary. Either way, I suggest you find a faculty mentor at your institution in these fields as they can likely help you better determine your interests and assist in your preparation to apply to either of these fields. Of course you still might change your mind as you go through clinicals, and that's totally fine, but better to get some sort of mentorship started sooner than later.

Status
Not open for further replies.