Starting in July

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docrv

Attending
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! Congratulations to those who matched last month. I was informed that I will be doing Peds rotation first this July. I want to ask if there are recommended books/journals/readings for Peds in Family Medicine. Will scanning Nelson be enough? Thanks!

:luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone! Congratulations to those who matched last month. I was informed that I will be doing Peds rotation first this July. I want to ask if there are recommended books/journals/readings for Peds in Family Medicine. Will scanning Nelson be enough? Thanks!

One killer book that all pediatricians and FM docs have in their offices that they use alot is Atlas of Pediatric Diagnosis by Basil J. Zitelli/Holly W. Davis

It's a big thick reference type with a ton of great pictures. About 900 pages. I got mine on-line during one of my peds electives.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey I just got my schedule as well :) and I am starting with medicine floors, any suggestions on must have books or pocket handbooks. Thanks

Hey I just got my schedule as well :) and I am starting with medicine floors, any suggestions on must have books or pocket handbooks. Thanks

(1) Washington Manual (aka: "The Bible")
(2) Pocket Manual of Differential Diagnosis - by Adler
(3) Facts and Formulas (for calculation of clearance, etc. before prescribing
drugs)
(4) Pocket Pharmacopoeia (or PDA with program)
(5) Sanford Guide to Antimicrobial Therapy (the one with the Chinese character on the cover)
(6) Maxwell Quick Medical Reference (this will give you a lot of guidance in
writing notes, etc.)

That should cover your floor rotations in Medicine. Just know if you get stuck, check "Up-To-Date" which all hospitals, I believe, now subscribe to.

For starters that should do it, and it should all fit in your lab coat. Make sure you are balanced! :)

Congrats on starting!

All the best,

Nu

I asked my program what I would be doing first. I don't get to know until about a week before.

Depending on how many computers are around your hospital, consider going easy on the paper-weights in your white pockets. I used Maxwell about 1000x a day, but then ran to Up-To-Date for almost everything else.

Another very basic, quick reference especially helpful in clinic is www.fpnotebook.com. Not comprehensive, but will remind you of what to order for gout workup, for example.

Depending on how many computers are around your hospital, consider going easy on the paper-weights in your white pockets. I used Maxwell about 1000x a day, but then ran to Up-To-Date for almost everything else.

Another very basic, quick reference especially helpful in clinic is www.fpnotebook.com. Not comprehensive, but will remind you of what to order for gout workup, for example.

I'm all about the paperweights. I realized about 1/3 of the way through the year that I am in fact a book person and that my PDA is basically a glorified calculator (though I used the heck out of MedMath on Epocrates). I have my dweebed out little annotated and tabbed Pocket Medicine, my dog-eared Harriet Lane, my deluxe edition Pharmacopoeia with bigger print because I am practically a senior citizen at 38, used to have a Maxwell's (have now lost 2 of them, not replacing anymore. I can write and H&P and discharge summary on my own now, and that's all I ever used it for), my ALSO, PALS, and ACLS cards, Sanford, and the OB/Gyn "Red Book". I don't carry them all all the time, obviously, it depends on the rotation. I do use UTDOL fairly frequently, but I like being able to annotate my totally low-tech retro books on actual paper. ;)

Will scanning Nelson be enough? Thanks!

Oh for cryin' out loud, do NOT "scan" Nelson! ;)

Harriet, of course. And my new favorite pedi pocket book: Tarascon Pediatric Outpatient Handbook. It is fabulous. I already have it all tabbed up. Great charts. It's not terribly detailed, but it will get you though ANYTHING you will see in clinic and most of the stuff you will see on the floor. Will not help you in the NICU or much in the nursery. Hopefully your program has a good manual for those areas.

Any tips on how to prep for the ICU? I don't have my ICU month till about midway through the year BUT I have no inpatient medicine rotations before that!:eek:
I know that I'm gonna look like an idiot since it will be half way through my intern year and I would not have had any inpatient medicine exposure yet.

Any tips on how to prep for the ICU? I don't have my ICU month till about midway through the year BUT I have no inpatient medicine rotations before that!:eek:
I know that I'm gonna look like an idiot since it will be half way through my intern year and I would not have had any inpatient medicine exposure yet.

The Marin (light blue cover, large paperback) is the standard bible for the ICU. Also very important, check the web or some other source for how to right ICU notes. They are unique from the medicine ward notes, and are very important in tracking day-to-day changes on a patient.