Starting Job Search - How To Do It?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hemosuccus

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Team,

Have learned a lot here, now starting my job search, looking to stay clinical, either in academics or pvt practice, general GI for the most part, looking for guidance on the process. Not specifically tied geographically, but want too stay East Coast/ Midwest. Questions for the pros, answer what you can:

1. How should I start the process?
2. Things you wish you knew/ did when you were in the process
3. Pitfalls
4. Anyone want to recommend jobs or groups, especially those looking, either in public or as a private message? Or those you wouldn't recommend?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Team,

Have learned a lot here, now starting my job search, looking to stay clinical, either in academics or pvt practice, general GI for the most part, looking for guidance on the process. Not specifically tied geographically, but want too stay East Coast/ Midwest. Questions for the pros, answer what you can:

3. Pitfalls
4. Anyone want to recommend jobs or groups, especially those looking, either in public or as a private message? Or those you wouldn't recommend?

Thanks!

Not going to be of much help since I’m still in fellowship, but what year are you? Seems kind of late for pgy 6 and a little early for 5? The 6s in my program have basically completed their interviews and are close to signing already.

Presuming you are a second year fellow, now is a reasonable time to start thinking about the process. If you are a third year you should already have a job or be panicking :)

If you want to be in academia, the process is a little easier/obvious. Private practice is a whole different game which requires a significant amount of trust and due diligence before joining a group.

The first step is identifying where you want to live. Do you have a spouse/kids? While it is common to leave your first job after a few years, ideally you would pick a good home and stay. Particularly in private practice where you are sometimes starting a clock for buy-in, etc.

Once you settle on an area, identifying the major group/groups and looking at their websites and putting together a list of practices that look interesting.

IMO it is never too early to get on the radar of a private group. Academia it is a little early now. Are you EUS/ERCP?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thisball
Team,

3. Pitfalls

Thanks!

Wow Bro you just matched , I apologize if I am mistakenly wrong or I am sure completing first year.

you are my hero

If you’re a 2nd year, too early. If you’re a 3rd year, consider locums for a while since it sounds like you’re not tied to anywhere and it’s kind of late. It’s probably the best and quickest way to make money.

Thanks for the messages so far crew- probably should've added more detail:

2nd year- had no desire to start, felt it was early, but PD has 'strongly encouraged' me to start the process at our recent review. Program culture has varied, have a 3rd year who still hasn't signed (decided late he didn't want to do EUS/ERCP), and a 2nd year who signed a few mo ago (had a job she knew she wanted in her home town, had an agreement with them since residency). I am not EUS/ ERCP. Honestly not tied to anywhere in particular, wife is from the NE, but fine going anywhere thats driveable and mid to large city, her job is flexible.

Thanks for the messages so far crew- probably should've added more detail:

2nd year- had no desire to start, felt it was early, but PD has 'strongly encouraged' me to start the process at our recent review. Program culture has varied, have a 3rd year who still hasn't signed (decided late he didn't want to do EUS/ERCP), and a 2nd year who signed a few mo ago (had a job she knew she wanted in her home town, had an agreement with them since residency). I am not EUS/ ERCP. Honestly not tied to anywhere in particular, wife is from the NE, but fine going anywhere thats driveable and mid to large city, her job is flexible.

Bangor Maine