starting new inpt rehab

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AviatorDoc

fizz ee at' rist
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had the experience of starting a new inpt unit in a small-ish to midsize town, where physiatry was non-existant prior?

Members don't see this ad.

Not commonly done because there's not enough cases to support an inpatient rehab unit.

Members don't see this ad :)
In my 4th year of med school, I was rotating through a mid-size town with a cardiologist, who passed along to his friends in administration that I was interested in PM&R. I ended up sitting down with the CEO and one of there therapy administrators as they tried to recruit me, even as an MS-4. Now, a few years later, a new stand-alone rehab hospital has opened in the area... I wonder if that's why they were pushing so hard.

I'm just curious if anyone else has started an inpt unit de novo, with the local hospital's backing. I know the 70% rule is putting a damper on the smaller units, but my understanding is that the rule may be repealed at some point.

Another hospital I'm looking at serves an area of about 50,000. It has interventional cardiology, neurosurgery... but no inpt rehab.

Interesting to see this post. I'm actually in this situation right now--town of about 40,000 (although the region is about 150,000), closest inpatient rehab is currently 120 miles away. We're working on starting an inpatient unit. There is definitely a need, and the hospital seems supportive.

I have been here for a couple of years, and have been talking to people about the need for a while. We had a consultant group come out and do some preliminary numbers, and it looks like a small unit (starting at 8 beds and going to 15) will be viable.

I'll obviously have more information as this develops. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, as I really enjoy inpatient care.

Please keep me posted in this regard. I'm definitely interested in what direction the small inpatient units go, as it could herald a new paradigm shift for the folks that try to make the PM and the R distinct entities.

Also, I think it would be interesting to "get in on the ground floor" and start up a unit, recruiting therapists, nursing staff, etc., to manage it the way YOU want it managed. Almost like having the autonomy of private practice with the security of a "hospitalist."