Starting PGY-1 in FM soon

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fatalis

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
starting residency in a few weeks. Just wondering if I can get any advice/tips from FM residents/ attendings on how to survive the first year and more importantly, do well.
I am starting off on night float if that helps.

Members don't see this ad.

Night Float? by yourself or with an upper level as part of a team? I'd be a bit concerned if you jumped out into that beast by yourself or without an upper level/attending in the hospital with you ---

but, assuming all is good and you live in a land of puppy dogs and kittens who playfully chase each other and butterflies float around near the dandelions ---- without Godzilla occasionally stomping Bambi (a la Bambi vs. Godzilla) ---

Right now, I'd be learning/practicing my admission H&Ps, know my standing order sets, brush up on IVF and the basics of hospital medicine -- I'd also look at ICU admission criteria for the various complaints -- and then take the time to look over the fundamental treatment algorithms for the most common admission diagnoses to the hospital (i.e. COPD exac, asthma exac, hyperglycemia, DKA, cellulitis, AMS, chest pain, SBO/ileus, CHF exac, FUO) and know WTF and HTF to treat them -- know your first line, patient allergic to first line and second line meds, usual starting doses, labs to draw, etc.

If you can get that down, do a reasonable PE, be relied on to finish your work without being told, have your work done on time, don't be a pain in the behind to work with and bring food and hot coffee to the call room on occasion, your seniors will like you and take pity on you -- which may earn you a good word with the attendings which can be important.

Good luck to you --- NF as the first one out of the bag --- mine was surgery but it was a skate month --community surgical practice and he was chill --- didn't learn crap but it was a nice way to start residency....

Reactions: 1 users
Night Float? by yourself or with an upper level as part of a team? I'd be a bit concerned if you jumped out into that beast by yourself or without an upper level/attending in the hospital with you ---

but, assuming all is good and you live in a land of puppy dogs and kittens who playfully chase each other and butterflies float around near the dandelions ---- without Godzilla occasionally stomping Bambi (a la Bambi vs. Godzilla) ---

Right now, I'd be learning/practicing my admission H&Ps, know my standing order sets, brush up on IVF and the basics of hospital medicine -- I'd also look at ICU admission criteria for the various complaints -- and then take the time to look over the fundamental treatment algorithms for the most common admission diagnoses to the hospital (i.e. COPD exac, asthma exac, hyperglycemia, DKA, cellulitis, AMS, chest pain, SBO/ileus, CHF exac, FUO) and know WTF and HTF to treat them -- know your first line, patient allergic to first line and second line meds, usual starting doses, labs to draw, etc.

If you can get that down, do a reasonable PE, be relied on to finish your work without being told, have your work done on time, don't be a pain in the behind to work with and bring food and hot coffee to the call room on occasion, your seniors will like you and take pity on you -- which may earn you a good word with the attendings which can be important.

Good luck to you --- NF as the first one out of the bag --- mine was surgery but it was a skate month --community surgical practice and he was chill --- didn't learn crap but it was a nice way to start residency....

Lucky!
My first month of intern year was surgery - and it was NOT a cake walk. That first weekend having to round on one service I knew nothing about and then cross-cover for 3 different services was hell on Earth but I survived.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone,
starting residency in a few weeks. Just wondering if I can get any advice/tips from FM residents/ attendings on how to survive the first year and more importantly, do well.
I am starting off on night float if that helps.

What?
where are you having your residency?
in our program only the PGY-2 do night float and it's 7pm to 7am six days a week

i agree with the the other docs, read on hospital medicine, especially fluid management.
it's also important to know if you can admit the patient or he/she is for transfer.
We have cases where we transfer patients to Children's hospital in LA and not admit them on our service.
simple things are not that simple when the nurse is breathing down your neck.
Bed C is very anxious or Bed D has been vomiting etc.

LAstly, try to shadow the night float team 3 days before you start..
it's usually the EMR that will give you a hard time.
You probably know the medicine, but how to order them " Correctly" is a different story

What?
where are you having your residency?
in our program only the PGY-2 do night float and it's 7pm to 7am six days a week

i agree with the the other docs, read on hospital medicine, especially fluid management.
it's also important to know if you can admit the patient or he/she is for transfer.
We have cases where we transfer patients to Children's hospital in LA and not admit them on our service.
simple things are not that simple when the nurse is breathing down your neck.
Bed C is very anxious or Bed D has been vomiting etc.

LAstly, try to shadow the night float team 3 days before you start..
it's usually the EMR that will give you a hard time.
You probably know the medicine, but how to order them " Correctly" is a different story

Absolutely true! Some EMRs will have admission order sets where you just checkbox everything and if you have no EMR or a clunky one, you'll have to write those by hand (sucks) -- also, small things -- like how to replenish potassium/mag/calcium, how to start insulin, know a good sliding scale protocol or get one from the upper levels, all of that little minutiae that you weren't responsible for as a student is now you --- think about: elderly with insomnia, blood thinners with antibiotics, constipation, cough, pain with low bp, hungry but npo, itchy but elderly with low bp, and my favorite -- febrile with borderline hypotension, on vanc/zosyn, OSA on mask, morbidly obese and somewhat stuporous not responding to NSAIDS/acetaminophen -- what do you do?

Absolutely true! Some EMRs will have admission order sets where you just checkbox everything and if you have no EMR or a clunky one, you'll have to write those by hand (sucks) -- also, small things -- like how to replenish potassium/mag/calcium, how to start insulin, know a good sliding scale protocol or get one from the upper levels, all of that little minutiae that you weren't responsible for as a student is now you --- think about: elderly with insomnia, blood thinners with antibiotics, constipation, cough, pain with low bp, hungry but npo, itchy but elderly with low bp, and my favorite -- febrile with borderline hypotension, on vanc/zosyn, OSA on mask, morbidly obese and somewhat stuporous not responding to NSAIDS/acetaminophen -- what do you do?

stop already. you're giving the OP palpitations. LOL!