Starting Psychiatry Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PurtyGurl15

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be starting psychiatry residency this July as PGY-1. It is a DO residency. Does it matter where you did your residency in terms of obtaining a job after residency? Will I still be competitive in the job market?

Members don't see this ad.

As a DO psychiatry graduate, will I be just as competitive as a MD psychiatry graduate in the job market? Will my salary be the same?

An interesting (scary?) phenomenon is occurring in our society. People no longer care about taking the best or brightest and this is happening in fields other than medicine, though I believe it is scarier happening in medicine, as opposed to fields like law or education. Despite all the data showing that DOs have lower college GPAs, MCAT scores, USMLE pass rates and average scores, the medical world has decided that MD=DO. America loves anyone that could be considered an underdog these days. All of this is to say you'll probably be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
An interesting (scary?) phenomenon is occurring in our society. People no longer care about taking the best or brightest and this is happening in fields other than medicine, though I believe it is scarier happening in medicine, as opposed to fields like law or education. Despite all the data showing that DOs have lower college GPAs, MCAT scores, USMLE pass rates and average scores, the medical world has decided that MD=DO. America loves anyone that could be considered an underdog these days. All of this is to say you'll probably be fine.
Why don't you come out and say what you really think? Holding all of that gonna make you :boom:

Reactions: 1 user
That's a lil harsh to say!
I wouldn't pay much mind to his words. I'm sensing he also earned his D.B. degree at a prestigious university.

I know a few very good psychiatrists who graduated from D.O. programs who are doing quite well for themselves. Work hard, stay on your game, keep reading. Your success is mostly on you... no matter where you find yourself.

Reactions: 3 users
Aside from the annoyance of occasionally explaining your initials, you'll be fine.

You're as good as your last training. No one cares where you went to medical school, they'll care where you went to residency. A few years out, they'll care about your last job.

If you doubt this, say "when I was in undergrad at Harvard" and see how few people care. Tis true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aside from the annoyance of occasionally explaining your initials, you'll be fine.

You're as good as your last training. No one cares where you went to medical school, they'll care where you went to residency. A few years out, they'll care about your last job.

If you doubt this, say "when I was in undergrad at Harvard" and see how few people care. Tis true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But I think the OPs question was do u think they'll care if she went to an AOA program?

Yes, i'm talking about doing psych residency at a DO program - will that affect my chances of getting a job in a large city like Chicago, NYC, LA? What if I am board certified?

I suspect nobody on this forum has any experience in either being a DO psychiatry program residency graduate and trying to get a job in NYC, Chicago, or LA, or being someone in a hiring position in one of those cities who has had DO residency graduates apply. So whatever advice you get is going to be based mostly on speculation. I think most people would say that yes, graduating from a DO psychiatry program will have an effect on your job prospects based mainly on reading in these forums that many DO psychiatry programs have poor reputations, but I don't think anyone can tell you whether you can or can't actually get a job in NYC, Chicago, or LA, or what type of jobs you could expect to be competitive for in those cities.

I suspect nobody on this forum has any experience in either being a DO psychiatry program residency graduate and trying to get a job in NYC, Chicago, or LA, or being someone in a hiring position in one of those cities who has had DO residency graduates apply. So whatever advice you get is going to be based mostly on speculation.

I think this is absolutely right. I don’t know any DO trained DOs. It may be a disadvantage getting into a fellowship or a teaching job. Otherwise, I doubt it. I have people calling about past faculty or residents who I clearly communicated unveiled criticisms about and the calls always end with “OK thank you, looks like we will be making an offer.” The job market is insane out there.

Wilf’s facts about DOs are probably more true than false, although his conclusions about society and quality not to mention his poor sense of audience leave a lot to be desired. Dharma’s point about success being mostly internal is spot on.

I think this is absolutely right. I don’t know any DO trained DOs. It may be a disadvantage getting into a fellowship or a teaching job. Otherwise, I doubt it. I have people calling about past faculty or residents who I clearly communicated unveiled criticisms about and the calls always end with “OK thank you, looks like we will be making an offer.” The job market is insane out there.

Wilf’s facts about DOs are probably more true than false, although his conclusions about society and quality not to mention his poor sense of audience leave a lot to be desired. Dharma’s point about success being mostly internal is spot on.

And this is one reason psychiatry blows other specialties out of the water. Can't be emphasized enough how sweet that puts us. Plus, insurance reimbursements actually INCREASED for psych as opposed to decrease for most other specialties over the past year or so.

(Every day job opportunities land in my inbox from HR people trying to entice me with special bonus packages and incentives. It averages 2 a day. As long as you're a MD or DO who is board certified you're golden!)

Last edited:
It's definitely nice to be getting job offers now, I get several per week!

So in terms of the CPT code changes, it SEEMS that the average psych salary should be going up. But I keep reading on Shrink Rap that insurance companies know this and are paying like 60-70% of the old rates these days.

Does that seem right?

If you are a board certified psychiatrist, licensed to practice medicine, and want to work, you will find more than you can handle no matter where you are and you should make a good living doing it. Maybe not the 400k that Vistaril is making but you could still have time to post on this board and make like 250K easy. This is all speculation but I am thinking it is probably not too far off from the truth.

Reactions: 2 users