Starting to Panic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

musicalfeet

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm taking the 9/6 MCAT, and I think the realization that it's only 2.5 weeks away is beginning to freak me out. I've taken 3 AAMC FL's (one of them being my first diagnostic after content review) and 10,10,8 (AAMC3); AAMC 4(12,10,11) and AAMC5 (11,12,10). I've also done the AAMC Self-Assessments (ironically my scores are opposite there) with 83% Bio, 81% Chem, 69% physics and 77% Verbal. I can attribute the lower scores for some of them to burn out of the SAs (used them mostly for practice).
Due to this being pretty much the last and only factor in my application (and having a somewhat not that great cgpa), I do need my MCAT to be at 35+. With only 2 weeks to go, I'm practicing the sciences fervently with my TPRH Science Workbook (the drop in the sciences scared me for AAMC5). The biology section is what worries me the most--when I reviewed my FLs, a 13 in PS is usually totally do-able (I'm usually 1-2 questions off, and I usually make 1-2 dumb mistakes like thinking 102 is 200 instead of 100.). Verbal is usually at around a 10 (I believe the 12 was a fluke--I just happened not to miss that one really hard passage everyone missed). Biology is where I make 90% of my mistakes in the BS section. I have a hard time connecting the information in the passage to my prior knowledge--and having a hard time understanding what the answers want from me. It shows too when I do the TPRH Bio, because a lot of the answers I miss will come from failing to see the passage or misunderstanding what they're asking. In TPRH, I'll miss 3-4 per passage and it's incredibly discouraging!!
I'm aiming for a 13,10,12 for my 35..and its beginning to seem out of reach. What can I do?? (BTW postponing is out of the question)

Members don't see this ad.

Please don't freak out- One point drop between the tests should tell you that scores are variable but that's it!!! What matters is your overall average and overall trend.
You IMPROVED your verbal reasoning score from a consistent 10 to 12 for the first time on AAMC 5 ------ that should encourage you more than anything in the world!!! I wouldn't consider an improvement a fluke this early.

Don't worry too much about specific passage scores in TPR workbook. Try to get your AVG to 90% and you should be good.
Don't even think about postponing. You have the right momentum currently as evident by your scores. Continue doing practice tests and finish ALL the remaining AAMCs before you sit for 9/6 exam.

All the best to you!

If postponing is out of the question then you have to go HARD these next two weeks. Do not say anything is out of reach since if this is your only option then you have to go in strong-willed. Keep your head up and analyze what you need to do. Your scores are solid, and to make those small improvements for a point or 2 after 10+, it comes down to recognizing the passages differently.

It seems your content is good, but perhaps trying different techniques on the science passages will help out. For example either mapping out the information or keeping notes that you can go back to. And review the small details and see the topics you are consistently getting wrong - from there spend half a day just nailing it down so the next time it comes up you are more than prepared to knock it out the park.

Oh my god -_-" Just took AAMC 7 and scored a 33 AGAIN. (11,11,11) this time. At least it looked like my verbal is sort of improving which is comforting. The breakdown of percentages is slightly comforting--I am improving in bio slightly with a few spotty weaknesses (eukaryotic cell?). For some reason it seems like my PS is falling? Need to do better analysis to figure out what's going on.

This result really doesn't do much in relieving my panic though T_T