state boards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kerrydds06

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
any one know good links on which states accept which boards? I heard Hawaii is now accepting the NERB in 2006 and CA may accept the western regionals. Are there any more changes coming?

Members don't see this ad.

kerrydds06 said:
any one know good links on which states accept which boards? I heard Hawaii is now accepting the NERB in 2006 and CA may accept the western regionals. Are there any more changes coming?

Licensure by Credentials after five years of practice is accepted by most states now except perhaps Hawaii, Florida, and is it Virginia?

California will accept the Western Regional and/or California Exam begining soon - next exam cycle?

I've never understood why there are different boards anyway. I'm sure all the schools teach the same steps to complete a class II amalgam.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it is a gate keeper so everyone don't just up and move to Hawaii.

kerrydds06 said:

Actually, according to one of our professors (who is on the committee that decided this in Orlando) the country will be moving from the Regional board format to a National board format.

I know, I know, that this has been discussed as a possibility for a long time, but it was put to a vote by the powers at be, and it is coming by 2006-2007.

Oma, where can I get more info on this. This is great news for me.

kerrydds06 said:

The internet is a beautiful thing. You only need to go to the ADA website to find this information. To save you a little time I've included a link to the dental examiners' website: http://208.177.241.227/. Click "testing agencies". At the bottom of the page is your answer.
Also I was at an ASDA regional meeting last weekend where this topic was brought up again. Licensure of dentists is a state's right topic. Even if organized dentistry and the schools want a national clinical exam, the dental examiners and the states will fight it. It's kind of like college football's bowl season. There's a lot of money involved and those who are making the most now are going to fight any changes to the system. We are a long way from national licensure.

I'm thinking of going to a school that has its own testing (NC). Is it possible to take the NERB as well? Would the test be the same material? More/less difficult?

kerrydds06 said:

Actually, things in Hawaii are really up in the air right now with licensure. I am living there right now and am directly involved in the changes. If anybody is interested in practicing here... I highly recommend you contact me. We need all the help we can get. You might be able to get away without taking the state exam if you act quickly. E_mail me.... :thumbup:
[email protected]

Nevada is switching to western regional. No more nevada state board with a low 40% pass rate. :eek:

straightsmile4u said:
Actually, things in Hawaii are really up in the air right now with licensure. I am living there right now and am directly involved in the changes. If anybody is interested in practicing here... I highly recommend you contact me. We need all the help we can get. You might be able to get away without taking the state exam if you act quickly. E_mail me.... :thumbup:
[email protected]

Hawaii is in the process of changing it licensure requirements.

Check it out here.