State of Legal Residence Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

projectpremed

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello I am currently about to submit my AMCAS and AACOMAS application, but I have one decision left to make. I am originally a resident of New Mexico, but over this past year I have been living in Alabama without taking classes at a university in Alabama. I believe I have borderline enough proof to prove I am an Alabama resident ( about to switch my license, voter registration and I have my lease + utility bill). I would prefer to go to school in Alabama, but I worry that there is a chance I get accepted and then the offer is rescinded due to residency problems. Also I plan on applying to mostly DO schools, but Alabama has more medical schools overall than New Mexico. Should I keep the New Mexico residency or go for Alabama. I am about to reach out to the schools also, but wanted others opinions.
You should look at the MSAR for the schools in Alabama and New Mexico. If I recall correctly the University of New Mexico medical school has one of the lowest average matriculant MCAT scores in the U.S. That means New Mexico's admission standards are relatively low. It should also be noted that U of New Mexico is highly instate biased. Furthermore, you might meet Alabama's residency requirements but that doesn't mean you won't be perceived to be pulling a fast one on their admissions committee. I'd be careful if I were you about changing your state residency to Alabama.

You should post the residency question on the Alabama specific school discussion posts. I believe southern states have the bona fide residency policy, so you should be fine applying as in-state for Alabama. Again, triple check this.

Status
Not open for further replies.