State vs national MFT exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaliMac

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any idea why a COAMFTE -accredited program at a state university would only encourage its students to take the state MFT exam instead of the national exam?

I couldn't find national exam pass rates on their site and inquired, then was told they only take the state exam.

Members don't see this ad.

Are you thinking about taking both? I'd certainly recommend it. I'm guessing they don't offer it because there is no call for it. In Cali since they require their own MFT exam for state licensure (I know you already know this :) -- only very few people probably have the desire to take both tests. I think you'd have to contact COMAFTE (or website) to see if there are independent testing centers that offer it. If not you may need to take a trip to a neighboring state if you really wanna take it.

Are you thinking about taking both? I'd certainly recommend it. I'm guessing they don't offer it because there is no call for it. In Cali since they require their own MFT exam for state licensure (I know you already know this :) -- only very few people probably have the desire to take both tests. I think you'd have to contact COMAFTE (or website) to see if there are independent testing centers that offer it. If not you may need to take a trip to a neighboring state if you really wanna take it.

It's like no one in this state ever considers the possibility they may choose to relocate someday, ha! Thanks, I'll look into the national exam. Most schools only show national pass rates until 2009, so that must have been the time of a policy shift.