Statement of Need Canada - Internal Medicine - Match 2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LostInParadise7

Reaction score
Hello Everyone, so I've been having a mini panic attack today looking through some old threads and just wanted confirmation. Is there still a cap for SoN issued by Health Canada for IM?

A lot of older threads said yes and people were previously denied after a certain quota was met but a more recent thread said that they removed the cap and the process is much more streamlined now.

Anyone know what the case is right now for this current match cycle? I already emailed and 'll be calling health canada tomorrow but I just thought I'd ask here for now.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

It was removed back in 2019 when I applied. Hopefully still that way.

Reactions: 1 user
I, too, read about somewhere that it has been removed. However, I am unable to find the primary source or verify it from the website Statement of Need Program for Medical Graduates Pursuing Postgraduate Medical Training in the US - Canada.ca.

Does anyone have more info?
I received email confirmation from Health Canada through the J1 visa email address. They reply within hours and are extremely helpful.

And I quote "As of Sep 18, 2018, there are no limits on Statements of Need".