"statements of clinical service and training/supervision interests"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LMK

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi:

Has anyone applied for a staff position that asked for separate "statements of clinical service and training/supervision interests, including past experience and future plans?" If so, what is it exactly?! I cover some of this in my cover letter, but I'm not sure how to go about writing these statements.

Thanks in advance...

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't had to do this so take this for what it's worth. I would assume that they would want more specific or detailed information than was provided in the cover letter. For example, I could say that I worked with adolescents in a residential treatment setting, found it rewarding, and am looking forward to working in a similar situation. Good cover letter statement. In my essay I would talk about how we utilized a relational approach to conceptualizing and treating adolescents and helped them develop emotional regulation and interpersonal skills. I might say that I saw that social development is a key component of adolescent development and that facilitating that development in a healthy way as opposed to affiliating with negative peer culture was beneficial. We also provided structured outdoor activities that appeared beneficial and in the future I would like to see if that applied to other settings, populations, activities, etc.

I'd probably expound upon what I'd normally put in my cover letter. I dislike having to repeat myself, so I'd probably cut down on those things in my cover letter, knowing that they asked for specific answers elsewhere. As for content, they probably want to get a feel for your approach/style and see if it'd be a fit. If you are looking to do in-pt stroke work, then you'd talk about wanting to work on an in-pt unit, what you'd want to bring to it (e.g. specific research on outcome data).