states where you can practice after GPR without NERB

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PG2010

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi, I wanna know what are the states where you can practice after doing a GPR ( without taking NERB). I know about Newyork, connecticut, ohio. any other state in this list.

Members don't see this ad.

It's not the north east (as it looks like your post was intended to focus on) but California will grant a dental license after completion of a 1 year GPR or AEGD.

It's not the north east (as it looks like your post was intended to focus on) but California will grant a dental license after completion of a 1 year GPR or AEGD.

Assuming you haven't taken the WREB and failed it. Another odd thing with California is that a specialty program doesn't count towards getting a license.

Members don't see this ad :)
Assuming you haven't taken the WREB and failed it. Another odd thing with California is that a specialty program doesn't count towards getting a license.

thanks I haven't takend WREB or NERB. I am a 3rd year student and will be taking it next year. I was just trying to find out all the states on east coast and west coast that grant licence based on 1 year residency only.

I might be wrong about ohio as I heard it from a friend only.
so there are almost 5 states where you can practice by doing GPR instead of NERB or WREB.

Hi!
Can you list out the other three definite state!
New-York
Caliornia

Thanks a lot!

Another odd thing with California is that a specialty program doesn't count towards getting a license.

Isnt that the craziest thing? If I wanna practice pedo in California after my residency, I need to prove I can do a crown prep and endo or spend a year doing crown preps and endo......something that I will never do for the rest of my life...

but they dont test me on my ability to do pulpotomies, SSC's, etc??? Makes absolutely no sense and the ones who developed this policy have obviously not thought this out at all.....

Isnt that the craziest thing? If I wanna practice pedo in California after my residency, I need to prove I can do a crown prep and endo or spend a year doing crown preps and endo......something that I will never do for the rest of my life...

but they dont test me on my ability to do pulpotomies, SSC's, etc??? Makes absolutely no sense and the ones who developed this policy have obviously not thought this out at all.....

I wouldn't let you do dentistry on my stuffed animals, thank god they are gonna make you do a crown, endo etc. I hope they make you do a heart surgery for the sake of all your patients out there

Minnesota requires a GPR???

As per the topic of this thread, I believe that Minnesota would not require it, but rather has made it one of the options available for licensure in that state.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't let you do dentistry on my stuffed animals, thank god they are gonna make you do a crown, endo etc. I hope they make you do a heart surgery for the sake of all your patients out there

:confused:

Minnesota requires a GPR???
A friend of mine graduated from UConn, decided not to take the NERB because she knew she would practice in MN for the rest of her career. She did 1 year GPR in MN, and is now practicing in that state.

So, MN requires the NERB, but if you don't have it - just do a GPR there.

A friend of mine graduated from UConn, decided not to take the NERB because she knew she would practice in MN for the rest of her career. She did 1 year GPR in MN, and is now practicing in that state.

so we have california, Newyork, connecticut, Minnisota. I guess there is one more?

The state of Washington, not Washington DC. It was just added in 2008. Five states total: New York, Connecticut, California, Minnesota and Washington.

Too bad they don't just allow you to take the NERB... Is there a website where one can see what is required for each state?

Is there a website where one can see what is required for each state?

There actually is a pretty up to date site listing which states accept which regional licensing exams. I don't have that link on this computer though. I'll try to find it later.

Too bad they don't just allow you to take the NERB... Is there a website where one can see what is required for each state?
She regrets not taking the NERB while she was still in school, because now... she is thinking about moving to a NERB state.

Take the NERB while you are still in school, regardless of what your plans may be. 40+ states accept the NERB, that's almost the entire country.

There actually is a pretty up to date site listing which states accept which regional licensing exams. I don't have that link on this computer though. I'll try to find it later.
Thanks Hysteria!

Bump for this thread

Any other states that accept 1 year of residency programs for licensure?

so far it's NY CA CN MN

OH doesn't seem to allow residency licensure.

I'm not so sure about WA, seems like it's only limited license?

I have heard a licensure faculty in charge of clinical boards said PA now accepts residency program for licensure, is this true?

Any info or news will be helpful.

something you all need to keep in mind, is that if you obtained licensure by residency, most states will not give you reciprocity (license after working 5 yrs). one of the requirements for reciprocity is having passed a state licensing exam. and also, CA will not allow you licensure by residency if you have failed the WREB's.