States with Controlled Substance Pharmacy Boards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Do state based controlled substance (pharmacy?) boards add value?

• Yes, these are ideal, and all states should aspire to have these boards and additional number to DEA

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Sushirolls

Topped with salmon, avocado and tobiko
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
There are states that have their own additional controlled substance license number, which requires fees, forms, time, and headaches. You still need a DEA number in these states, and the DEA number can't be updated until you get your state based number first...

There are some states that don't have these additional numbers, and the DEA number is good enough.

Members don't see this ad.

Never heard of it, thankfully.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
One License
Requirement
Second CS License
Requirement
AlaskaAlabama
ArizonaConnecticut
ArkansasDelaware
CaliforniaDC
ColoradoGuam
FloridaHawaii
GeorgiaIdaho
KansasIllinois
KentuckyIndiana
MaineIowa
MinnesotaLouisiana
MississippiMaryland
MontanaMassachusetts
NebraskaMichigan
New HampshireMissouri
New YorkNevada
North CarolinaNew Jersey
North DakotaNew Mexico
OhioOklahoma
OregonPuerto Rico
PennsylvaniaRhode Island
TennesseeSouth Carolina
TexasSouth Dakota
VermontUtah
VirginiaWyoming
Washington
West Virginia
Wisconsin

*From a DEA website

barf what's the point
Here in SC our health department has their own investigation arm (among other things). They're more available than the DEA most times and can be pretty useful. One of my partners got on a first-name basis with our local guy when he took over for a retiring doctor who was a huge candyman.

Here in SC our health department has their own investigation arm (among other things). They're more available than the DEA most times and can be pretty useful. One of my partners got on a first-name basis with our local guy when he took over for a retiring doctor who was a huge candyman.
You in the Midlands by chance? I can think of a couple that were shut down in the last several years...

Okay, so perhaps better funding to stamp out pill mills? I wonder if those states have better for that than the others?

That's what I'm trying to understand. Trying to keep an open mind. But its hard. Real hard on this one. Any one?

Perhaps a vestigial structure rooted in history?

Shot in the dark: So the state medical board can yank your license, without having to wait for the Feds.

You in the Midlands by chance? I can think of a couple that were shut down in the last several years...
I was for awhile. Plenty of them get shut down in the Upstate though.

In this particular instance I'm just talking about a family doctor who was a bit free with the scheduled drugs.

Licensures to practice is already state based, so they already have that power.

The schedule is federally defined. The states likely need a way to link state and federal law.

I'm thinking it's likely the same legal reasoning that makes state define which substances are illicit, despite existing federal laws.

I'm in NJ where we have this. The paperwork involved is minimal, and it's just $40 every year or 2 I think. But I have no idea why it exists. And if they start to raise the price there is really nothing I can do about it.