statistics based on lifestyle, income of docs for a presentation..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soxman

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have this presentation to do and I'm supposed to get some info to compile on a spreadsheet about the work hours, income, lifestyle and years of education for being a doctor in the following fields:
family medicine, emergency medicine, surgery, radiology , pathology and psychiatry. I need some numbers for this part.
Hope someone can help

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I have this presentation to do and I'm supposed to get some info to compile on a spreadsheet about the work hours, income, lifestyle and years of education for being a doctor in the following fields:
family medicine, emergency medicine, surgery, radiology , pathology and psychiatry. I need some numbers for this part.
Hope someone can help

Thanks

Every MD/DO in the US has a minimum of a bachelor degree and 4 years medical school for a medical degree (DO or MD).

Residency training varies for different specialties and even within the specialties. Without FELLOWSHIPS, the average residency training years for:

- FM is 3 years.
- IM is 3 years.
- EM is 4 years.
- Psych is 3 years some are 4.
- Radiology is 5 years.
- Pathology is 4 years.

Like I said.. you will get variations out there. IM maybe 4 years in some places. But this covers the training.

You can get the income from any website that has salaries averaged for each specialty.

Within a specialty, lifestyle varies sooo much and obviously income adjusts according to that... so it is hard to give you a feel of how much one works. One pathologist might work so much and another hardly work.

Every MD/DO in the US has a minimum of a bachelor degree and 4 years medical school for a medical degree (DO or MD).

Residency training varies for different specialties and even within the specialties. Without FELLOWSHIPS, the average residency training years for:

- FM is 3 years.
- IM is 3 years.
- EM is 4 years.
- Psych is 3 years some are 4.
- Radiology is 5 years.
- Pathology is 4 years.

Like I said.. you will get variations out there. IM maybe 4 years in some places. But this covers the training.

You can get the income from any website that has salaries averaged for each specialty.

Within a specialty, lifestyle varies sooo much and obviously income adjusts according to that... so it is hard to give you a feel of how much one works. One pathologist might work so much and another hardly work.

Actually most EM is three years but some are four.

- H

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually most EM is three years but some are four.

- H

You gotta count the intern year as part of the training.. it is a year spent training. Or are most now catagorical 3 years with no internship?

You gotta count the intern year as part of the training.. it is a year spent training. Or are most now catagorical 3 years with no internship?

From the Society for Academic Emergency Medicine (www.saem.org)

The following different types of programs are available:

1-3 Programs
There are 102 of these three year programs (3 years including the internship year).

1-4 Programs
There are 19 of these four year programs.

2-4 Programs
There are 15 of these three year programs (3 years after a separate 1 year internship).

Emergency Medicine/Pediatrics
This is a five year combined programs that leads to dual board certification. There are 3 of these programs.

Emergency Medicine/Internal Medicine
This is a five year combined program that leads to dual board certification. There are 10 of these programs.

- H

From the Society for Academic Emergency Medicine (www.saem.org)

The following different types of programs are available:

1-3 Programs
There are 102 of these three year programs (3 years including the internship year).

1-4 Programs
There are 19 of these four year programs.

2-4 Programs
There are 15 of these three year programs (3 years after a separate 1 year internship).

Emergency Medicine/Pediatrics
This is a five year combined programs that leads to dual board certification. There are 3 of these programs.

Emergency Medicine/Internal Medicine
This is a five year combined program that leads to dual board certification. There are 10 of these programs.

- H

And there ya have it... 3 years for EM (My respect for them went down...:laugh: just kiddin. Put your guns down.)

Medicare publishes the annual % changes in avg reimbursement for each specialty, I think.. or the AMA may publish them, but they are definitely available somewhere.