Stats and GPRs/AEGD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Romas

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So... I've done quite a lot of research on Inside SDN's residency forums, as well as at my school with seniors and recent graduates, and it still seems like the whole GPR applications process is very murky. Even on this forum, it's apparently easier to get a ballpark figure on what OMFS or Ortho requires of it's successfully matched applicants than with a GPR :confused:

I know that part of this is due to the variety in programs out there, but realistically, what kinds of programs could someone in a top dental school, Part I of 86/3.3 GPA hope for? I guess I'm just looking for a resource much like the stats dental schools publish about their entering class' GPA/DAT scores. It just helps in narrowing the applications down to an affordable number :) Could any of the recently matched GPR/AEGD residents share their application info, much like in the OMFS or Peds threads I keep seeing? School/Graduation date/part 1/GPA/Rank would be helpful, as would any pointers on their interviews.

I realize that raw scores aren't everything (particularly in the advent of a pass/fail boards), but they obviously amount to something in the applications process. And obviously we are all going to gear our apps towards programs that we believe are what we are looking for in terms of post-grad training. But I'd rather not waste my time applying somewhere if, for example, they won't seriously consider anyone without a top 10 rank/90+ score.

Thanks! And I hope this thread provides useful to all the other confused GPR/AEGD hopefuls out there!

Members don't see this ad.

A) define top dental school .. Ha

B) your stats are enough to get you interviews. At that point its all on you.

I matched at a VA AEGD with stats lower than yours and I didn't even go to a "top" dental school! :)

With some small exceptions in NYC, your stats will get you an interview at a lot of GPR's. The interview will make or break you. I have declined many grads with scores higher than yours, and accepted those with lower. It will be as much of a "fit" process as anything else, some applicants want a large program with less call, others want no call, some want to have the whole hospital experience and want trauma call. So you see it will depend on a lot of factors.

Members don't see this ad :)
With some small exceptions in NYC, your stats will get you an interview at a lot of GPR's.

Thanks for the feedback! Which nyc programs are you referring to?