Staying on top of Applications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sepaul

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How are you all staying on top of these applications?

I have heard very little back so far and am going stir crazy because I feel helpless at this point.

Any suggestions on what actions to take?
-sepaul

Members don't see this ad.

you're doing med scool applications right now :confused: or are you wondering how to keep track of whether your application has been reviewed/where it is in the process?

labeled folders and an excel spreadsheet

Members don't see this ad :)
btowngirl said:
labeled folders and an excel spreadsheet

Exactamundo.

Also, really good books, movies and friends are great distractions from the agony of waiting.

k-monger said:
Exactamundo.

Also, really good books, movies and friends are great distractions from the agony of waiting.
working out also is a good way to alleviate the pain of waiting...back, arms, and chest

I do have manilla folders and excel spreadsheets up da yin-yang.

I guess what I was hinting at was how or if to contact schools...

Most schools have status pages. You should check those. If you've been complete for a while, you can always call or e-mail the school to see if you file has been reviewed. Calling is probably quicker and you'll actually get a response. Some schools take forever to answer e-mails :D You could also send letters of interest.

tinkerbelle said:
Most schools have status pages. You should check those. If you've been complete for a while, you can always call or e-mail the school to see if you file has been reviewed. Calling is probably quicker and you'll actually get a response. Some schools take forever to answer e-mails :D You could also send letters of interest.

I second everything tinkerbelle said - especially the letters of interest part. I sent 10 schools LOIs in mid-Dec. A week later I heard from 4 of them - all interviews. I don't know if it's coincidence or what, but I do know that someone had to GET my file down/out from somewhere and physically place my letter inside it - perhaps this triggered something else...like an interview!

Ohmigosh, LOIs are like a catalyst.

sepaul said:
I do have manilla folders and excel spreadsheets up da yin-yang.

I guess what I was hinting at was how or if to contact schools...

manilla folders, excel spreadsheets and an elaborate filing system on my computer.

ajt2003 said:
I second everything tinkerbelle said - especially the letters of interest part. I sent 10 schools LOIs in mid-Dec. A week later I heard from 4 of them - all interviews. I don't know if it's coincidence or what, but I do know that someone had to GET my file down/out from somewhere and physically place my letter inside it - perhaps this triggered something else...like an interview!

Ohmigosh, LOIs are like a catalyst.

did you write up a generic one or did you tailor it specifically for each school? who did you send the letter to? dean or to your file?

Haybrant said:
did you write up a generic one or did you tailor it specifically for each school? who did you send the letter to? dean or to your file?

Tailored the last paragraph of each to the school...sent the letter to the dean. Again, don't know if it's just coincidental or what, but it was at the very least a good way to channel my anxiety into productivity.

G'luck. PM me with any more questions; happy to help!

I just put together a letter today and souped up the last paragraph for the top choices. The rest of the schools got a somewhat generic update of my research and classes.

I am going to set out to call each director of admissions next week. yeah, I do feel better about doing something proactive. The e-mails just seem to evaporate in the ether.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
sepaul

cup your hands and smell ur own farts. Works everytime. (sorry, I'm drunk).

Now that is pure genius! I wonder what you could think up sober?

flash said:
cup your hands and smell ur own farts. Works everytime. (sorry, I'm drunk).