USMLE Step 1 16 days out

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

postbacpremed87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I really do not know what else to do. What would be the best use of the last 16 days? I absolutely cannot read FA. I like Rapid Review Pathology because it is very integrative. I just finished UWorld and have done a few questions out of USMLERx. Should I just exclusively redo UWorld missed questions and read RRPath? My NBMEs are 228, 243, 241. Goal is 230.

Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

I really do not know what else to do. What would be the best use of the last 16 days? I absolutely cannot read FA. I like Rapid Review Pathology because it is very integrative. I just finished UWorld and have done a few questions out of USMLERx. Should I just exclusively redo UWorld missed questions and read RRPath? My NBMEs are 228, 243, 241. Goal is 230.

Any advice?

Your NBME average is well above your goal score so you should be fine. Like you, I couldn't read FA, but over the past week, I forced myself to do so. I didn't read every single word; I would eyeball each page and if there was something I didn't know I would take the time to read it. You will be surprised by the amount of details and "new" information that are stuffed in that book. Therefore, I highly recommend giving FA a quick skim. As of yesterday, I redid 60% of UWorld qs. I recommend doing UWorld again, at least for the missed questions.

Any advice?

Forget RRPath or skimming FA. What are your weakest areas? Focus on that. Then move on to the "high-yield" forgettables: biochem (becoming medium-yield), microbiology, and pharmacology. Pick out the important tables in FA and make sure they're well and truly memorized. There's also no excuse to miss any biostats questions; it's plug and play with a few equations and basic pattern recognition. From my experience, people often review too much material, particularly lingering over what they're most comfortable with. That's just normal human nature.

I'd use a few days to drill down on your weakest FA sections using USMLERx, repeat missed UWorld questions, take another NBME, and then reassess. The key in the last two weeks is to shore up your weaknesses and drill down hard on the high-yield stuff. It's the curve that kills you in Step 1. Missing an extra few easy questions per block can make huge, huge difference in your score.

Caveat: I didn't get a monster SDN score, but 250+, and I've tutored about a dozen students now.

Last edited:
Forget RRPath or skimming FA. What are your weakest areas? Focus on that. Then move on to the "high-yield" forgettables: biochem (becoming medium-yield), microbiology, and pharmacology. Pick out the important tables in FA and make sure they're well and truly memorized. There's also no excuse to miss any biostats questions; it's plug and play with a few equations and basic pattern recognition. From my experience, people often review too much material, particularly lingering over what they're most comfortable with. That's just normal human nature.

I'd use a few days to drill down on your weakest FA sections using USMLERx, repeat missed UWorld questions, take another NBME, and then reassess. The key in the last two weeks is to shore up your weaknesses and drill down hard on the high-yield stuff. It's the curve that kills you in Step 1. Missing an extra few easy questions per block can make huge, huge difference in your score.

Caveat: I didn't get a monster SDN score, but 250+, and I've tutored about a dozen students now.

Thanks for the advice! I moved my USMLE up and took it today!! I am so glad it is over.

Reactions: 1 user