Step 1 in 3rd year or Step 2?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Darkskies

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
acttr
Hi guys,

I'm a DO student who only took the COMLEX but would really like to take the USMLE by January. I have my rotation schedule set up so that the easier rotations are for the first half of the year to make this more feasible. I got a 32 on the MCAT so I know I am capable of taking and passing the USMLE step 1 but it's just that I've had nonacademic issues that have been affecting me for the past year. I'm actually becoming dismayed at the fact that I have so much work to do(studying for step 1 on top of being prepared for rotations and exams). Does anyone have any advice for me? Would it be better to just give up and plan on scoring very high on the USMLE step 2? FYI, I think my COMLEX score will be under 500 as I've been somewhat depressed over the last few months and now it's spilling over to third year since I feel like my future prospects in terms of specialties are dwindling.

I'm aiming for IM/Infectious Diseases/Rheumatology or Psychiatry which aren't too competitive but I'd still like to do the best I can so I have some choice in the matter of residencies. In my case would it be better to just take the USMLE step 2 and blow it out of the water? Does a sub 500 comlex plus great USMLE step 2 score look good enough for allopathic residencies in the specialties I mentioned? I know this is hard to believe but I firmly believe my issues have been affecting me so much that it's been hard for me to focus and study.

Members don't see this ad.

One of the biggest arguments for DO students against taking the USMLE is the negative situation of taking it and doing poorly. With a <500 COMLEX, personal issues, and terrible timing/study availability, I'd say you're very at-risk for that scenario.

Don't bother with the USMLE (either step), just focus on shelfs and Step 2.

One of the biggest arguments for DO students against taking the USMLE is the negative situation of taking it and doing poorly. With a <500 COMLEX, personal issues, and terrible timing/study availability, I'd say you're very at-risk for that scenario.

Don't bother with the USMLE (either step), just focus on shelfs and Step 2.

Did you read my entire post? My MCAT was a 32(all practice MCATs were in the 34-35 range) and I wouldn't even be at a DO school if I'd decided to go to a special master's program(which in retrospect was probably the better choice to make). I know for a fact that the only reason I'm in this boat is because of the personal issues. I'm not foolish and wouldn't take the USMLE step 1 if I don't feel ready for it come January. If I don't take the step 1, I for sure will be taking the Step 2 and I know I can blow it out of the water. My question was not whether to take the USMLEs at all but whether I should focus on the step 1 or step 2 at this point. I know for a fact that I can perform well on the step 1 provided I can get through these personal issues as well as better manage my time. Your post comes off in a way that makes it appear as if you think I'm a subpar DO student when the fact is that I was interviewed at several MD schools and my stats(prior to entry in medical school) were at the top percentage of DO matriculants.. So if anyone else can kindly give me advice, I would really appreciate it.
acttr

acttr

acttr

Did you read my entire post? My MCAT was a 32(all practice MCATs were in the 34-35 range) and I wouldn't even be at a DO school if I'd decided to go to a special master's program(which in retrospect was probably the better choice to make). I know for a fact that the only reason I'm in this boat is because of the personal issues. I'm not foolish and wouldn't take the USMLE step 1 if I don't feel ready for it come January. If I don't take the step 1, I for sure will be taking the Step 2 and I know I can blow it out of the water. My question was not whether to take the USMLEs at all but whether I should focus on the step 1 or step 2 at this point. I know for a fact that I can perform well on the step 1 provided I can get through these personal issues as well as better manage my time. Your post comes off in a way that makes it appear as if you think I'm a subpar DO student when the fact is that I was interviewed at several MD schools and my stats(prior to entry in medical school) were at the top percentage of DO matriculants.. So if anyone else can kindly give me advice, I would really appreciate it.
acttr

acttr

acttr

I'm sorry if I came off as insulting, but you need to be less sensitive/insecure if you're asking for help on a public forum in your situation. I'm just relaying advice from the faculty and administration at my DO school: don't take the USMLE if there's a chance you'll do poorly.

Only you can judge whether your personal issues have resolved by now, but do you really think that whatever prevented you from performing above 500 on the COMLEX is 100% resolved and inapplicable now? Because now you're talking about not only taking a significantly more difficult test, but doing it with 1/5 the time available to study, at most. And all that stuff about your MCAT...come on man, we all know MCAT has nothing to do with med school performance.

As for taking USMLE Step 2, I don't see the point. Maybe I'm uninformed about this, but I don't see any reason to take it unless you've taken Step 1.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sorry if I came off as insulting, but you need to be less sensitive/insecure if you're asking for help on a public forum in your situation. I'm just relaying advice from the faculty and administration at my DO school: don't take the USMLE if there's a chance you'll do poorly.

Only you can judge whether your personal issues have resolved by now, but do you really think that whatever prevented you from performing above 500 on the COMLEX is 100% resolved and inapplicable now? Because now you're talking about not only taking a significantly more difficult test, but doing it with 1/5 the time available to study, at most. And all that stuff about your MCAT...come on man, we all know MCAT has nothing to do with med school performance.

As for taking USMLE Step 2, I don't see the point. Maybe I'm uninformed about this, but I don't see any reason to take it unless you've taken Step 1.

I understand what you mean. I'll admit that I am a little insecure about this stuff(which ties into my personal issues). I haven't received my COMLEX score yet so I might have gotten a 500 or higher but only time will tell. I know that I have less time to study now but I structured my rotations so that the 'easier' rotations came first if that helps with it in any way. I recall reading on here at various times that if you haven't taken step 1 you should make sure to at least take the USMLE step 2 as that is still looked upon positively by allopathic residencies. However, a solid or even mediocre step 1 score obviously carries more weight. I guess I was looking for advice on which one I should focus on and particularly if anyone else has been in my situation and how they were able to structure their schedule to tackle the USMLE step 1 in 3rd year.

You are correct in that it's a difficult thing to pull off with the amount of work I'll be having to do. It seems kind of overwhelming but that's why I posted here to find out if anyone can give me advice on how they were able to handle it. It hasn't been that long ago that I took the COMLEX so I probably still remember a decent chunk of the material.
acttr

acttr

Congratulations Darkskies. . .after many years you have finally gotten me to create an SDN account. I periodically look at these forums but I’ve never posted before, however after reading your post I felt like you deserved a response from someone who actually took the USMLE during third year rotations. I took my COMLEX at the end of second year like everyone else, and like you I decided later that I wanted to take the USMLE also. I wound up taking Step 1 about two-thirds of the way through my third year, and I was *extremely* satisfied with my score. Let me assure you that it is definitely possible to take step 1 during third year, and it is possible to do well on it. I actually think that taking it after having some rotations under my belt really helped to put a lot of the material in context.

That said, this is a pretty personal decision. I made my choices for reasons that were personal to me, and I'm sure that there are people out there who took step 1 during third year, wound up having things go the other way, and really regret it now as a result. Here are my 2 pieces of advice to you:

1) Don't even think about this right now. The end of second year is so stressful, and when you're under (or recovering from) a lot of stress is the worst time to make decisions and to study. I found it so helpful to just relax for a while and have fun on rotations (yep, they can be really fun) and put the stress of boards behind me. When I began studying for boards again, I had such a clearer head than the first time through. At a minimum, I would tell you to wait at least until your COMLEX score is back AND THE SCORE HAS SUNK IN. The COMLEX might not be the best test out there, but your performance is still an important data point. Don't make any quick decisions either. If you wound up doing well. . .great. Make sure you can repeat that. If not so well. . .think about why before you register for the USMLE. Figure out what you need to change, if that's the case.

2) When the time comes to make the decision, understand YOUR NEEDS and YOURSELF.

2a) YOUR NEEDS: This means that you have to get on the phone with program directors at residency programs you are interested in, in the specialty (or specialties) you want, and ask them how they feel about step 1 vs step 2. We all hear that maybe step 2 can be a sort of substitute for step 1, but the truth is that most of what we hear are rumors or anecdotes about other people who may or may not have been in comparable situations. I chose to take step 1 because programs I want to go to require it, plain and simple. You might want a different specialty through, and even if you don't you might want different programs in the same specialty. The only way to answer this question is to explore YOUR NEEDS. If you're not willing to do that or you don't know what you want, then the important thing to keep in mind is that taking step 1 and doing decently on it keeps all your doors open. Taking step 2 without step 1 will probably close some doors for you, and if you don't do your research there is just no way to know where those doors are. SDN is a good start, but there is no substitute for getting in touch with programs in your field of interest.

2b) YOURSELF. You mentioned that you have been affected by non-academic issues and depression in your post. Are these going to hold you back? The last thing you want to do is take the USMLE (either 1 or 2) out of desperation when you are depressed or not ready and have a bad outcome as a result. Only you can adequately evaluate your state of mind and your level of preparation. I (and other SDNers) can elaborate on our experiences, but they may or not have any bearing on yours. For example, I don't think I had to deal with the same personal issues that you are confronting when I took my test. That said, I think anyone who doesn't admit to at least a little situational depression from time to time in med school is lying to you. Talking about your issues on SDN is a good start, but you have to seek out the right resources and get the support that you need to get through these issues. That really should be a prerequisite to this decision. If your confidence and state of mind are in a good place then you have a much higher chance of success at any level of preparation. Maybe this touchy-feely stuff isn't what you were looking for but it does make a difference.

I think you should to focus on giving yourself some time and sorting through these issues before you move on to thinking about practical issues like test timing, studying strategies, etc. I know from my experience that taking USMLE during third year can be done successfully, but I can tell you that before you confront the challenges that everyone confronts in taking that exam, you have to decide if you need it and if you think you can do it.

I hope that helps. Good luck to you!

Reactions: 1 users
Congratulations Darkskies. . .after many years you have finally gotten me to create an SDN account. I periodically look at these forums but I’ve never posted before, however after reading your post I felt like you deserved a response from someone who actually took the USMLE during third year rotations. I took my COMLEX at the end of second year like everyone else, and like you I decided later that I wanted to take the USMLE also. I wound up taking Step 1 about two-thirds of the way through my third year, and I was *extremely* satisfied with my score. Let me assure you that it is definitely possible to take step 1 during third year, and it is possible to do well on it. I actually think that taking it after having some rotations under my belt really helped to put a lot of the material in context.

That said, this is a pretty personal decision. I made my choices for reasons that were personal to me, and I'm sure that there are people out there who took step 1 during third year, wound up having things go the other way, and really regret it now as a result. Here are my 2 pieces of advice to you:

1) Don't even think about this right now. The end of second year is so stressful, and when you're under (or recovering from) a lot of stress is the worst time to make decisions and to study. I found it so helpful to just relax for a while and have fun on rotations (yep, they can be really fun) and put the stress of boards behind me. When I began studying for boards again, I had such a clearer head than the first time through. At a minimum, I would tell you to wait at least until your COMLEX score is back AND THE SCORE HAS SUNK IN. The COMLEX might not be the best test out there, but your performance is still an important data point. Don't make any quick decisions either. If you wound up doing well. . .great. Make sure you can repeat that. If not so well. . .think about why before you register for the USMLE. Figure out what you need to change, if that's the case.

2) When the time comes to make the decision, understand YOUR NEEDS and YOURSELF.

2a) YOUR NEEDS: This means that you have to get on the phone with program directors at residency programs you are interested in, in the specialty (or specialties) you want, and ask them how they feel about step 1 vs step 2. We all hear that maybe step 2 can be a sort of substitute for step 1, but the truth is that most of what we hear are rumors or anecdotes about other people who may or may not have been in comparable situations. I chose to take step 1 because programs I want to go to require it, plain and simple. You might want a different specialty through, and even if you don't you might want different programs in the same specialty. The only way to answer this question is to explore YOUR NEEDS. If you're not willing to do that or you don't know what you want, then the important thing to keep in mind is that taking step 1 and doing decently on it keeps all your doors open. Taking step 2 without step 1 will probably close some doors for you, and if you don't do your research there is just no way to know where those doors are. SDN is a good start, but there is no substitute for getting in touch with programs in your field of interest.

2b) YOURSELF. You mentioned that you have been affected by non-academic issues and depression in your post. Are these going to hold you back? The last thing you want to do is take the USMLE (either 1 or 2) out of desperation when you are depressed or not ready and have a bad outcome as a result. Only you can adequately evaluate your state of mind and your level of preparation. I (and other SDNers) can elaborate on our experiences, but they may or not have any bearing on yours. For example, I don't think I had to deal with the same personal issues that you are confronting when I took my test. That said, I think anyone who doesn't admit to at least a little situational depression from time to time in med school is lying to you. Talking about your issues on SDN is a good start, but you have to seek out the right resources and get the support that you need to get through these issues. That really should be a prerequisite to this decision. If your confidence and state of mind are in a good place then you have a much higher chance of success at any level of preparation. Maybe this touchy-feely stuff isn't what you were looking for but it does make a difference.

I think you should to focus on giving yourself some time and sorting through these issues before you move on to thinking about practical issues like test timing, studying strategies, etc. I know from my experience that taking USMLE during third year can be done successfully, but I can tell you that before you confront the challenges that everyone confronts in taking that exam, you have to decide if you need it and if you think you can do it.

I hope that helps. Good luck to you!

Thank you so much for such an amazing post that pretty much addresses all of my concerns! I think you hit the nail on the head in identifying that my non-academic issues and depression are the main factors that are holding me back. I have to make sure that I overcome those before I can tackle the Step 1.

Despite my nonacademic issues/depression, I scored a 521 on the COMLEX level 1 when I thought I might have failed.

The specialties I am currently interested in are Infectious diseases, Rheumatology, Hospitalist/general IM, or Psychiatry. None of these are very competitive but I would like to keep my options open by taking the Step 1. Currently I have a plan to take the step 1 in January after my 'easier' rotations are done with so that I can just focus on the step 2 and clinical medicine during the second half of the semester when my 'harder'(surgery, ob/gyn, IM,etc.) rotations are scheduled.

I'm finding that I would have to be very disciplined to be able to study for the step 1 and perform well during rotations. How did you find the time to study intensely enough to perform very well on step 1 while at the same time manage rotations? Do you or anyone else have advice for me as to what kind of a schedule I should make for myself? Step 1 studying is normally a full time job in itself, isn't it?

Thank you so much for your post! I really appreciate it.

Sorry for bumping this thread again but I am REALLY looking for advice and would APPRECIATE it greatly!