step 1 prep/books/review courses/HELP!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

firecracker

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question about the different Kaplan prep courses. Kaplan has about 5 different reviews:

1)intese prep
2)medpass
3)webprep
4)qreview
5)qreview & organ system books

I think I'm going to use either qreview or qreview with the organ system books but I was wondering if there is anyone out there that has used the organ system books and what they think of them. It costs $350 more to get those books.

I already have first aid and step up and some of the BRS books so I'm wondering if I'm even going to need more stuff but then again this probably the most important test I'll have to take in med school so I want to make sure I do this right.

Does anyone have anything to say about the organ system books or any of the other courses I listed above?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, don't purchase any of them. You will only need Q bank from Kaplan. I would read BRS path, physio, behavioral, first aid and step up cover to cover a couple of times and memorize everything in first aid. After you finish that, you can do questions in Q bank (about 2000 of them) looking up stuff you don't understand after reading the answer explanations. If you still feel like studying after that, I'd just recc doing q bank again or purchasing another question book or doing practice cases in step up to the bedside or something like that. If you're really hard core and have a lot of tiem to study, just pay for the 3 month q bank deal. Otherwise, stick with the one month.

How much did qbank cost??? I have a form here saying that it costs $350 for 9 months and I also the qbook (850 questions) with that if I sign up by a certain date. This form says nothing about 1 or 3 months.

Members don't see this ad :)
$99 for one month of Qbank.

One month is all you need, if you do 60 questions every day. Its not the type of thing you'd want for more than a month before the exam anyway.

So I guess no one got the organ system books from Kaplan? Some reps from Kaplan are coming to my school real soon to talk to us about their program but of course they are going to make all their material sound like the "must haves for step 1".

Blade had mentioned that they used IV Qbank. What is that exactly? I looked on Kaplan's web site and it sounds like it's more questions that are arranged by organ system. Is that what it is?

Blade, were you happy with Qreview? That's what I'm leaning towards right now.

Thanks.

The best thing about Qreview is the in-center simulated exam. 1 month of Qbank is all you really needed. IV Qbank is a waste of time. The questions are too easy and they are not in USMLE format.