Step 1, % questions correct and 3 digit score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zyxab

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently took Step 1. I can recall ~150 of the questions from my test and it seems that I only got 71% of them correct. My research suggests that 70% correct on the NBMEs = 200, give or take. Should I just accept that I got a low score? Anyone recall getting a similarly low percentage correct and ending up with above a 210?

Members don't see this ad.

You were off by more than 1.5 standard deviations. Good luck discouraging other people though.
70% should get you around 210 I think. It's weird that this person thinks that it's fail. As I remember on the forums people say that if your score on uworld around 70-75% average and nbme is good you are good to go. My test is in two weeks and posts like this add some anxiety.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I recently took Step 1. I can recall ~150 of the questions from my test and it seems that I only got 71% of them correct. My research suggests that 70% correct on the NBMEs = 200, give or take. Should I just accept that I got a low score? Anyone recall getting a similarly low percentage correct and ending up with above a 210?
I know that you already got your result. How did you do on your nbme? Did scores correlate?
My goal is 235-240. I want to apply for anesthesiology. I am really nervous.

I know that you already got your result. How did you do on your nbme? Did scores correlate?
My goal is 235-240. I want to apply for anesthesiology. I am really nervous.

I'll tell you what many wise people told me (which turned out to be 100% true) -- trust your NBMEs!! After my test I was freaking out, worrying about the absolute percent I got correct, etc. etc. Don't waste your time with that. If you're performing where you want on your NBMEs, you're ready! I ended up getting within 3 points of my last NBME (16). FYI, my NBME 16 was around the national average and that's what I got on the real thing.

Reactions: 1 user
There I can find national average scores? I looked up on Internet did not find anything.

70% should get you around 210 I think. It's weird that this person thinks that it's fail. As I remember on the forums people say that if your score on uworld around 70-75% average and nbme is good you are good to go. My test is in two weeks and posts like this add some anxiety.

I dunno I took 2 nbmes where above 70% was still a fail albeit only by a question or 2, but still a fail.

Those same exams had a significantly lower pass mark (low 60% correct to pass when I took them a year ago before the new changes)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

After taking step1, I was able to remember ~70qs, third of which I KNEW I missed. The score I got suggests that I only missed those 20-something qs I remembered after the test. That's impossible. I"m sure I must have missed at least double that amount of qs.

The point is that there's absolutly zero correlation between how you feel/think you did and your score. Also remember, the test is curved so if your version was exceedingly difficult, and most people did poorly on, then chances are they'll make the curve more forgiving. At the end, it's a standardized exam and they need to produce a bell curve even if that means they throw away half of the qs.

Reactions: 1 users
After taking step1, I was able to remember ~70qs, third of which I KNEW I missed. The score I got suggests that I only missed those 20-something qs I remembered after the test. That's impossible. I"m sure I must have missed at least double that amount of qs.

The point is that there's absolutly zero correlation between how you feel/think you did and your score. Also remember, the test is curved so if your version was exceedingly difficult, and most people did poorly on, then chances are they'll make the curve more forgiving. At the end, it's a standardized exam and they need to produce a bell curve even if that means they throw away half of the qs.
Don't know if I agree. If you got 250s (which I believe you did) I would guess that you missed less than 25.

Sorry to bump this thread since the OP is probably long over this, but can others chime in on approximately how many they remember getting wrong and what they ended up getting? The number of questions I recall missing on this test would put me way below my NBME average...like...by at least 10 to 15 points...
In the exact same boat. Glad to know im not alone.

Reactions: 1 user