step 1 scores for cali residency programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

slim

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have an idea of the boards scores you need to match in California?

Members don't see this ad.

Step 1 scores are one of the least important factors in EM matching, according to a relatively recent poll of PDs.

That being said, I can't give you a number, though someone else might..... It's going to be more of a "any number lower than X will disqualify you" rather than "any number higher than X means you're golden" kind of thing.

Telemachus said:
Step 1 scores are one of the least important factors in EM matching, according to a relatively recent poll of PDs.

That being said, I can't give you a number, though someone else might..... It's going to be more of a "any number lower than X will disqualify you" rather than "any number higher than X means you're golden" kind of thing.

Step 1 scores are the most important factor at King/Drew. That is directly from the program director.

Members don't see this ad :)
GeneralVeers said:
Step 1 scores are the most important factor at King/Drew. That is directly from the program director.

That's why a survey usually consists of more than one respondent.

Selection Criteria for Emergency Medicine Residency Applicants

Joseph T. Crane, MD and Carl M. Ferraro, MD
From the Department of Emergency Medicine, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL (JTC, CMF)

Joseph T. Crane, MD, Department of Emergency Medicine, University of Illinois at Chicago, 808 South Wood Street, #471, Mail Code 724, Chicago, IL 60612. Fax: 312-413-0289; e-mail: [email protected]

Objectives: To determine the criteria used by emergency medicine (EM) residency selection committees to select their residents, to determine whether there is a consensus among residency programs, to inform programs of areas of possible inconsistency, and to better educate applicants pursuing careers in EM. Methods: A questionnaire consisting of 20 items based on the current Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS) guidelines was mailed to the program directors of all 118 EM residencies in existence in February 1998. The program directors were instructed to rank each item on a five-point scale (5 = most important, 1 = least important) as to its importance in the selection of residents. Followup was done in the form of e-mail and facsimile. Results: The overall response rate was 79.7%, with 94 of 118 programs responding. Items ranking as most important (4.0-5.0) in the selection process included: EM rotation grade (mean ± SD = 4.79 ± 0.50), interview (4.62 ± 0.63), clinical grades (4.36 ± 0.70), and recommendations (4.11 ± 0.85). Moderate emphasis (3.0-4.0) was placed on: elective done at program director's institution (3.75 ± 1.25), U.S. Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE) step II (3.34 ± 0.93), interest expressed in program director's institution (3.30 ± 1.19), USMLE step I (3.28 ± 0.86), and awards/achievements (3.16 ± 0.88). Less emphasis (<3.0) was placed on Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society (AOA) status (3.01 ± 1.09), medical school attended (3.00 ± 0.85), extracurricular activities (2.99 ± 0.87), basic science grades (2.88 ± 0.93), publications (2.87 ± 0.99), and personal statement (2.75 ± 0.96). Items most agreed upon by respondents (lowest standard deviation, SD) included EM rotation grade (SD 0.50), interview (SD 0.63), and clinical grades (SD 0.70). Of the 94 respondents, 37 (39.4%) replied they had minimum requirements for USMLE step I (195.11 ± 13.10), while 30 (31.9%) replied they had minimum requirements for USMLE step II (194.27 ± 14.96). Open-ended responses to "other" were related to personal characteristics, career/goals, and medical school performance. Conclusions: The selection criteria with the highest mean values as reported by the program directors were EM rotation grade, interview, clinical grades, and recommendations. Criteria showing the most consistency (lowest SD) included EM rotation grade, interview, and clinical grades. Results are compared with those from previous multispecialty studies.

Key words: emergency medicine education; internship and residency; research education

Telemachus said:

Not disagreeing with you, just stating the facts at my program. Additionally Indiana where I trained in med school was extremely board score fixated, although good letters, and an excellent interview could offset that to some degree.

GeneralVeers said:
Not disagreeing with you, just stating the facts at my program. Additionally Indiana where I trained in med school was extremely board score fixated, although good letters, and an excellent interview could offset that to some degree.

I had a step 1 of 217 and got interviews at Harbor, LAC+USC, UC Irvine, MLK/Drew, Rejections from highland, stanford and Oliveview. Hope this helps.. oh and I am not from the west coast and didnt do a single rotation west of Chicago. If you have more Qs post here or PM me.

Im an ms4 right now..

Telemachus said:

Joseph T. Crane, MD and Carl M. Ferraro, MD
From the Department of Emergency Medicine, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL (JTC, CMF)

Joseph T. Crane, MD, Department of Emergency Medicine, University of Illinois at Chicago, 808 South Wood Street, #471, Mail Code 724, Chicago, IL 60612. Fax: 312-413-0289; e-mail: [email protected]

Objectives: To determine the criteria used by emergency medicine (EM) residency selection committees to select their residents, to determine whether there is a consensus among residency programs, to inform programs of areas of possible inconsistency, and to better educate applicants pursuing careers in EM. Methods: A questionnaire consisting of 20 items based on the current Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS) guidelines was mailed to the program directors of all 118 EM residencies in existence in February 1998. The program directors were instructed to rank each item on a five-point scale (5 = most important, 1 = least important) as to its importance in the selection of residents. Followup was done in the form of e-mail and facsimile. Results: The overall response rate was 79.7%, with 94 of 118 programs responding. Items ranking as most important (4.0-5.0) in the selection process included: EM rotation grade (mean ± SD = 4.79 ± 0.50), interview (4.62 ± 0.63), clinical grades (4.36 ± 0.70), and recommendations (4.11 ± 0.85). Moderate emphasis (3.0-4.0) was placed on: elective done at program director's institution (3.75 ± 1.25), U.S. Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE) step II (3.34 ± 0.93), interest expressed in program director's institution (3.30 ± 1.19), USMLE step I (3.28 ± 0.86), and awards/achievements (3.16 ± 0.88). Less emphasis (<3.0) was placed on Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society (AOA) status (3.01 ± 1.09), medical school attended (3.00 ± 0.85), extracurricular activities (2.99 ± 0.87), basic science grades (2.88 ± 0.93), publications (2.87 ± 0.99), and personal statement (2.75 ± 0.96). Items most agreed upon by respondents (lowest standard deviation, SD) included EM rotation grade (SD 0.50), interview (SD 0.63), and clinical grades (SD 0.70). Of the 94 respondents, 37 (39.4%) replied they had minimum requirements for USMLE step I (195.11 ± 13.10), while 30 (31.9%) replied they had minimum requirements for USMLE step II (194.27 ± 14.96). Open-ended responses to "other" were related to personal characteristics, career/goals, and medical school performance. Conclusions: The selection criteria with the highest mean values as reported by the program directors were EM rotation grade, interview, clinical grades, and recommendations. Criteria showing the most consistency (lowest SD) included EM rotation grade, interview, and clinical grades. Results are compared with those from previous multispecialty studies.

Key words: emergency medicine education; internship and residency; research education

although a decent point, i dont think this answers the original question which is specifically about cali programs. no disrespect or anything.

Telemachus said:

Tele,

Nice abstract, but the survey was 8 years ago. The ACGMEs emphasis on outcomes. board passage rates and core competencies may have changed some views. They certainly have changed ours. Failure of an MLE is a marker for academic risk.

MLEs are certainly not our most important factor, but they are far from our least.

For the original question, I couldn't say. the only way to find out is to apply. Go for it. ;)

BKN

GeneralVeers said:

Does MLK/Drew have a "cutoff" line for step 1?

Weird cause as mentioned I had a 217 and the day after I applied I got a phone call and an email for my interview....

I didn't take the MLEs and I got interviews at Davis, Fresno, Stanford, King, Westwood, and USC. Loma Linda, harbor, UCSD, and UCI wouldn't even look at me w/o the MLE.

I only took the DO boards, but I went to med school in Cali, graduating in '98. Wasn't that long ago, and it was one of the first years that EM had become super competetive. We had around 20 people just from our class match into EM.

Good luck!

Oh and I forgot to mention I did get an interview at Davis and got rejected also from Loma Linda and UCSD.

Step 1 217, interviewed at all Calis that I applied to, Davis, Highland, Irvine, Harbor, UCLA-OV, UCSD - matched at UCLA-OV. Didn't think I had much of a chance out west, but I think there is much more to be said about an applicant than MLEs. Be fun, be professional, have a good time... GOOD LUCK! the year will be over before you know it and soon (like the rest of us) you'll be pulling yourself out of bed at noon every day, wondering why on earth you would drink so much scotch on a Tuesday night, then wondering how it will be possible to convince everyone on July 1st that it's just an illusion that the MSIVs know more than you do :) Illusion my a$$...