Step 2 CK and Surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Esprit00

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My exam is coming up in about 18 days and I want to go through one last review of everything. I didn't really have time to go through Pestana's notes and watch his videos. But i did finish the High Yield Kaplan course and was thinking of relying on UWorld surgery questions to get me through this section. I wanted to spend the next few days just reviewing everything especially IM. Is this a wise decision to gloss over surgery like this or am I better off delaying my exam until I've accomplished a more thorough review of surgery as well?

Thank you! :)

Members don't see this ad.

My exam is coming up in about 18 days and I want to go through one last review of everything. I didn't really have time to go through Pestana's notes and watch his videos. But i did finish the High Yield Kaplan course and was thinking of relying on UWorld surgery questions to get me through this section. I wanted to spend the next few days just reviewing everything especially IM. Is this a wise decision to gloss over surgery like this or am I better off delaying my exam until I've accomplished a more thorough review of surgery as well?

Thank you! :)

My exam is also in 18 days and I haven't started studying anything yet, FWIW

The majority of the exam is IM. Even the surgery questions are more medicine-y than you'd expect.

Just Uworld for surgery + whatever you did with Kaplan HY is probably fine. TBH, with only 18 days left, I wouldn't recommend doing a whole lot of reading. If you can read Pestana's in about half a day and assimilate it, fine, but otherwise your time would be better spent just doing questions and reviewing what you got wrong and why you got it wrong. And as everyone else has said, many of the surgery questions are just going to be ICU/management stuff. The hard ones are the ones that paint a really good picture of multiple pathologies and ask you to pick only one - e.g. a young female patient with acute onset abdominal pain, who has peritoneal signs, history of GC and previous abdominal surgery (appendicitis vs TOA vs PID vs SBO?) - you just have to get really good at finding details in the question and that only comes from practice.