Step 2 CK indicative of Clinical Knowledge?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

discontinuebed

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know it's written in the test name itself. (CK-> Clinical Knowledge) But is it truly indicative of clinical knowledge?

I ask because I scored very well on Step 1 and am planning to delay taking Step 2 CK until December of my 4th year.

However, I told some of my friends that despite having ZERO honors in the 3rd year, I was still planning on applying to derm. They said that it would be worth my while to take Step 2 CK early and to score even higher than my Step 1 score to show that my 3rd year "disappointing grades" are due to subjective measures and not objective lack of knowledge (disproven by an even higher Step 2 CK score)

What do you think?

Worthwhile risk? Or foolish move?

Members don't see this ad.

I'd go for it. If you did well on Step I you should be able to do well on 2CK with proper preparation. I thought CK was much easier.

I don't know how much it will help in derm, but it can't hurt and you need every advantage you can get.

How well did you do on shelf exams? I think they are an excellent predictor of 2CK performance.

Medicine, NBME = 80, %tile = 77

OBGYN, NBME = 75, %tile = 71

Psychiatry, NBME = 84, %tile = 85

I have no idea what those numbers/percentiles mean. I'm going to guess not good as I don't have anything in the 90's range.

How much time is adequate for prepping? My only concern is scoring lower than I got on Step 1. I guess that's the one way it could hurt you. (Now the PDs will have subjective evals and an objectively lower Step 2 score when compared to Step 1 to knock my clinical performance/knowledge)

When you apply for residency in ERAS, you have the option to not automatically update your USMLE scores. If you choose that option, then you get to decide whether or not to manually update your application when new scores come in. That way, if you score lower you can just choose not to update your file and programs won't know (although they may still ask during interviews).

I have no idea what those numbers/percentiles mean. I'm going to guess not good as I don't have anything in the 90's range.

How much time is adequate for prepping? My only concern is scoring lower than I got on Step 1. I guess that's the one way it could hurt you. (Now the PDs will have subjective evals and an objectively lower Step 2 score when compared to Step 1 to knock my clinical performance/knowledge)

Members don't see this ad :)

My scores on those shelves were similar (med 83, ob/gyn 76, psych 85) and I broke 260. I think as long as you're above 75s or so, you can do very well if you retain material well. The difference for me was that Step I questions are more straight-forward than the shelf exams. Set aside a few weeks to prepare and you have a good shot at a great score. USMLEWORLD + review book of choice.

When you apply for residency in ERAS, you have the option to not automatically update your USMLE scores. If you choose that option, then you get to decide whether or not to manually update your application when new scores come in. That way, if you score lower you can just choose not to update your file and programs won't know (although they may still ask during interviews).

The key for this strategy is not to take 2CK before you submit your ERAS application. If your score is official before you submit, you cannot withhold the 2CK score.

The earliest date for submission is Sept 1.

The key for this strategy is not to take 2CK before you submit your ERAS application. If your score is official before you submit, you cannot withhold the 2CK score.

The earliest date for submission is Sept 1.

so apply and take the 2ck exam after Sept 1st

but then the question becomes, how will the programs know about your 2ck score if your application is already submitted? mention it in person during interviews?

due, my raw shelves were like...

Surgery = 56, fail. retook and got 76
OB - 64
Peds - 63
Medicine - 72
Psych - about 74 i think

got a 230 on step 2 with moderate studying (probly more than most). anyways, study hard for step 2 and you can do pretty well, probably much better than my 230.

my advice would be same as other have suggested: usmle world and review book of choice(step secrets is good) and you can break 230 easy, although with derm you'll need over 240 probably

so apply and take the 2ck exam after Sept 1st

but then the question becomes, how will the programs know about your 2ck score if your application is already submitted? mention it in person during interviews?

You can update your ERAS application (through ERAS) when the new score comes in, and programs will see the update.

You can update your ERAS application (through ERAS) when the new score comes in, and programs will see the update.

ahh, i see

so shoot for a target test date not before but as close to 9/1 as possible right?

in order to get the test results as quickly as possible for PD's to look at

ahh, i see

so shoot for a target test date not before but as close to 9/1 as possible right?

in order to get the test results as quickly as possible for PD's to look at

Yeah. You could take the test a week or so before 9/1 because the scores won't be in instantly.

MSPEs don't come out until Nov. 1 so a later date could still help you get interviews.