Step 2 CK reporting delay and ERAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zmuppet

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi all,

1.) should I submit ERAS on Sept. 15 (everything but my CK score will be ready) and then just have my CK score released 9 days later? If I do this, will I miss out significantly on interviews I might have received in those 9 days? Or should I wait until I get the score back, and submit ERAS on Sept. 24?
Yes, no, maybe but unlikely, no. In that order. Programs that will reject you for your Step 1 score alone will reject you even with a Step 2 score. Don't sweat it.

2.) the USMLE website states that anyone taking the exam after July 28 can expect scores back by Sept. 24. Does this mean that ANYONE taking the exam after that time period will get their scores back ON Sept. 24, or will that apply only to those taking the exam on July 29, and then everyone else will get their scores back delayed accordingly (obviously within reason--I wouldn't expect to have my score back on Sept. 24 if I was taking it on Sept. 23 or something, but if I take it a month before then, can I expect it to be back by Sept. 24?)
What is the sound of one hand clapping? If a tree falls in the forest, blah, blah, blah.

Nobody here can answer those questions. And nobody at NBME will answer those questions.

Accept that from here on out, there will be a lot of uncertainty in your life, this is but a small taste.

Starting with your second question, the USMLE announcement states that all Step 2 CK exams after July 31 will have a scoring delay until Sept 24. After that, they will return to their usual system of reporting scores every Wednesday, usually 3-4 weeks after you take the exam. So, if you take the exam the 3rd week of August, you'll likely have your scores by the 3rd-4th week of September. So yes, I expect your scores will come out Sept 24th. The delay isn't because it's somehow slower / harder to score the exams -- they simply want a big enough pool of answered questions so they can discard poor questions and manage the statistics / scoring.

Now, for the first, I highly doubt there is any difference in applying Sept 15th vs Oct 1st. Now that the MSPE release has been moved up to Oct 1, most programs will probably wait for the MSPE to make decisions. So I think you're worried about nothing. Apply Sept 15th, 24th, or 30th and I think you'll have the same result.

Reactions: 1 users
http://www.usmle.org/announcements/
Most score reporting of Step 2 CK results occurs within four weeks of testing. Due to routine modifications to the Step 2 CK test item pool, there will be a delay in reporting for most examinees testing on or after July 31st. The target date for reporting Step 2 CK scores for most examinees who test beginning July 31st will be Wednesday, September 24, 2014. For examinees whose circumstances require that they receive Step 2 CK scores before September 24, it is recommended that they take Step 2 CK no later than Monday, July 28, 2014.

Last week I booked my exam for July 29...As an US IMG, I'm constantly told "to have everything ready by sept. 1". Any idea if this still holds true? The other thing for me is...it'd kill me to have to wait two months for my score!

Starting with your second question, the USMLE announcement states that all Step 2 CK exams after July 31 will have a scoring delay until Sept 24. After that, they will return to their usual system of reporting scores every Wednesday, usually 3-4 weeks after you take the exam. So, if you take the exam the 3rd week of August, you'll likely have your scores by the 3rd-4th week of September. So yes, I expect your scores will come out Sept 24th. The delay isn't because it's somehow slower / harder to score the exams -- they simply want a big enough pool of answered questions so they can discard poor questions and manage the statistics / scoring.

Now, for the first, I highly doubt there is any difference in applying Sept 15th vs Oct 1st. Now that the MSPE release has been moved up to Oct 1, most programs will probably wait for the MSPE to make decisions. So I think you're worried about nothing. Apply Sept 15th, 24th, or 30th and I think you'll have the same result.

Thanks for the information. So, for example, if I take it around August 10th, that means I'll get the scores back at the Sept 24th date. I assume they have some cutoff date before Sept 24 where if you take it after that date, your scores will be reported after Sept 24, so I'm hoping August 10th is still before that cutoff date so I can submit my score with my ERAS application so the programs see it when they decide to invite for interviews.

Looks like they increased the passing score on Step 2 from 203 to 209 as well on that list of announcements.

http://www.usmle.org/announcements/
Most score reporting of Step 2 CK results occurs within four weeks of testing. Due to routine modifications to the Step 2 CK test item pool, there will be a delay in reporting for most examinees testing on or after July 31st. The target date for reporting Step 2 CK scores for most examinees who test beginning July 31st will be Wednesday, September 24, 2014. For examinees whose circumstances require that they receive Step 2 CK scores before September 24, it is recommended that they take Step 2 CK no later than Monday, July 28, 2014.

Last week I booked my exam for July 29...As an US IMG, I'm constantly told "to have everything ready by sept. 1". Any idea if this still holds true? The other thing for me is...it'd kill me to have to wait two months for my score!
its sept 15 now, but the point is to have everything done by the 1st day that ERAS opens...

Reactions: 1 user
Hello all! I did not see a reply for the person whose question was for 29th of July exam date? Does that mean that for 29th and 30th of July, you still get your test results back on 24th of September?

Apply on September 15th whatever status your application have. Many programs look into Step 1 only especially those that have a mix of AMG-IMG residents. Due to high volume of applications each program receive definitely you don't want your application yo be beyond number 1000 on the waiting/screening list. If certain program asks for the ECFMG certificate at time of application or for the whole scores at time of application then yes delay it only for these specific programs but don't risk loosing a lot of potential interviews by delaying the whole application when you are eligible for instant interviews with no waiting lists. Good luck!

Apply on Sept 15 regardless. If the programs filter based on the presence of a Step 2 score, your application just won't be visible to them until it's there. No disadvantage to applying early.

whooops just posted on 2013 board. I took my test yesterday Sept 21st. When do you guys think I'll have my score? Technically Oct 8th is 3 wednesdays later...

It is September 24 and no score report. I took step 2 on August 16 and it's been 5.5 weeks. Is this a reasonable expectation for my score today or I'll have to wait longer? And I heard we should get an email by 9am? It's not looking likely.

I took it on August 8 and am expecting my score today. When I took step 1 last year, my score was in the delayed group as well - I think I remember not getting the email until around 11 am or noon (central). So I wouldn't lose hope just yet.

My exam is in August 14th. please guys who did this last year. did you get your score report before 25th of September?
This is so important to me thanks

I took mine on August 5th last year and got my results on September 24th. Wasn't an issue at all.

I took mine on August 5th last year and got my results on September 24th. Wasn't an issue at all.
So you don't think that not receiving your score by Sept 15th had any impact on your application? Are you an American Medstudent or an IMG?