Step 2 CS: Forgot neuro exam on headache patient

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WorriedCS

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just came back from my Step 2 CS... worried I failed - anyone pass (or fail) by making these mistakes?

1. Forgot to do a neuro exam on the patient with headache (seriously! did other exams but not that one for some dumb reason). I am worried that this by itself is a kiss of death..

2. Forgot to verbalize or document that I will do a pelvic and rectal on a patient with abdominal pain

3. Forgot to do reflexes on all patients requiring neuro exam

4. Forgot to document a neuro exam on a patient I did a neuro exam on.

Everything else was fine - (US med student) interpersonal stuff was no problem

Thoughts??!

Members don't see this ad.

$hit..really? I thought maybe I was over-reacting given some of the other posts on here, but is the consensus really that I am one of the few who failed??

Members don't see this ad :)
The likelihood is that you comfortably passed. The test is really trying to determine your interpersonal skills, you will not fail for a missed physical exam maneuver. Furthermore, 2-4 are mistakes I made and I passed by a large margin. Relax and wait 1 month till you see the words pass...

i made a ton of mistakes in my exam and felt the same way as you did after the exam for several days.. but I passed with way better looking score report than I had expected.. so try not to worry about it. I'm sure you passed!

Best

Could the OP share with us how the results went?

I ask because I just recently did my CS, and I didn't do 2 neuro exams for lightheaded patients!! This lead me to probably get the incorrect diagnosis. There is a chance that one of them was a cardiac emboli/TIA case. I only did CVS, pulmo, and extremities for these 2 cases. I was running short on time, so I went straight to closure! Will I fail?