step 2 cs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedicalBeast

~~
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
how important is step 2 cs for ranking?

mine is currently scheduled for next week but I haven't really had any time to prepare for it. I was thinking of pushing it back until January/February (that's the next available date).

I already have several interviews so I'm not worried about that, but if I push it back the score likely won't be back before ranking. Will that look bad/negatively impact my application or place on rank lists?

i have already taken and passed step 2 ck

thanks for your advice

Members don't see this ad.

how important is step 2 cs for ranking?

mine is currently scheduled for next week but I haven't really had any time to prepare for it. I was thinking of pushing it back until January/February (that's the next available date).

I already have several interviews so I'm not worried about that, but if I push it back the score likely won't be back before ranking. Will that look bad/negatively impact my application or place on rank lists?

i have already taken and passed step 2 ck

thanks for your advice

One top program already told me they don't require CS before ranking, only CK.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most programs like to see a passing grade on CK and CS because you can't graduate without passing--quite a few won't rank you or will rank you lower if you don't have those scores in (they'll give you the interview invite, but not having scores in by rank-list times makes you a liability, whereas most others have their scores in).

While almost everyone passes CS, it takes so long to grade (3 months, right?) that if your scores aren't back by rank-list-time (late Feb), then the odds are if you end up not passing (once again, low for any US MD/DO), then you may possibly not graduate on time. And that means starting internship late and not being able to attend your advanced program on-time (or at all, depending on whether the program is willing to be short a resident for a few weeks)

I think Dec is the latest you should take either exam, though I guess January could still work. But CS is such a stupid test--as long as you've been paying attention during OSCE's, did your schools practice "mini-CS," and read through FirstAid (I only read a third of it... studied two days total but watched Netflix half the time...) then you should pass it.

Remember: Wash hands, drape your patients, auscultate UNDER the gown, common things are common. Be socially appropriate. Have a few differential's in mind. That's most of what you need to do...

I don't know anyone who spent more than 2 full days preparing for CS. I know quite a few that just took a few hours. Still, don't underestimate it--most important is to take the exam when you feel ready. If you don't feel ready now, don't take it.

However, rescheduling late is expensive, and I think you may be overestimating how much prep time you need (honestly I was concerned about it too before I took the exam). If you've been on any rotation where you've been seeing patients, that already helps you a lot (esp if it's FM or EM).

don't worry about it attack. Just take the test. review the cases in first aid. wash your hands, introduce yourself, do a focused exam but remember to check heart lungs and abdomen always. say thanks afterwards then order some basic imaging and labs. you'll do fine.

As an alternative point of view I'll share my experience briefly (you can likely go back a few pages on this forum for my full thread).

I failed step 2 CS on my first attempt. This failure was on my initial transmission to all programs I applied to and I feel that it probably limited my interview offers significantly. As I had applied very broadly (couples match) I was able to achieve a comfortable number of interviews by the end of the season (some gained through begging/pleading/calling in favors). In the middle of interview season the results from my second CS attempt came back (comfortable pass) but the mark of failure still remained. I'm uncertain how it altered my place on rank lists but my (now) wife and I matched at a program that was a toss-up between being our #1/#2.

TL;DR: Make sure you pass it on your first attempt or else you'll be INCREDIBLY stressed until match day. That being said, taking it too late may also cause problems.

thanks for the feedback. i'm going to try and take it on my originally scheduled date.

CS is only reported as pass/fail. So I don't think having a pass in your file will matter -- most programs will probably assume you'll pass (unless there are red flags for which they should think otherwise)