step 2 score less than step 1 score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

barakutha

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
from all the posts i have read, it seems like people always do better on step 2 than they did on step 1. Is this usually the case?

Members don't see this ad.

barakutha said:
from all the posts i have read, it seems like people always do better on step 2 than they did on step 1. Is this usually the case?

two people in my class did worse.

only 2? so it's safe to say on average people do better on step 2

barakutha said:
only 2? so it's safe to say on average people do better on step 2

I can't figure out why more people should do better on Step 2...perhaps because Step 1 is a "weedout" exam. I bet the averages are about the same for number who do not pass. However, like you, I've heard a lot of people say they have done much better on Step 2.

Though most scores are neither advertised nor solicited on the actual campus, I only know of a couple of students who scored lower on step II than on step I. Their situations were similar: each of them crushed step I and would have been better-off waiting a while before taking step II. There was no benefit for them to take it early as they already boasted an impressive step I score. I don't know of any students at my school (not to say there aren't any) who did average on step I and worse on step II.