STEP 3 before residency; no more state sponsorship meaning?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

woodenclock

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear colleagues,

I would like to know if I will be able to take the STEP 3 before residency with the new changes to STEP 3 coming up in november 2014. I would take it just after ECFMG certification (i'm an IMG), probably april 2015.

I know this question has been asked a lot of times, but that was with the former version of STEP 3.

I found this on the fsmb page and there's no state that seems to allow one to take the STEP 3 unless he/she has at least 1 year post-grad training.
http://www.fsmb.org/public/public-resources/state_specific
(Is that correct? or is it for another examination?)

I read that there will be no more state sponsorship... Is it for the better or for the worse? Does it mean that all states require post-grad training, or just the contrary, that all states will permit taking the STEP 3 before residency?
http://www.usmle-forums.com/usmle-news/53426-step-3-no-more-state-medical-board-sponsorship.html

If anyone could give me a definite answer I would greatly appreciate it. I'm getting quite confused about this.

Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

The first link you included was talking abt full licensure in each state, not eligibility to take Step 3. The second link is not particularly clear with regards to your specific question.

As I understand it, you are eligible to take Step 3 if you have a medical degree (MD, DO, or equivalent). However, as it currently stands, you have to apply through the state medical board from whom you are seeking licensure. In my case, that is the state where I am currently a PGY-1.

In the future (as of Nov 2014), you will no longer have to apply through a specific state medical board, which means you can take Step 3 before knowing exactly which state you'll need to seek licensure in. By extension, if you have a medical degree, but are not yet a resident, you will be able to take Step 3.