Step 3 CCS quick question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PinkLithe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I just had a CCS case where a 7 mo child presents in acute respiratory distress. I was thinking either anaphylactic shock or foreign body aspiration (peanuts were noted to be nearby). RR in the 50s, cyanotic, looking toxic. After the typical emergency orders and a brief exam, I immediately ordered intubation. This was rejected by the parents and I managed the rest of the case fine (figured out quickly it was foreign body aspiration).

In the explanations, intubation was listed as potentially harmful and I am not sure why. The child clearly had a compromised airway. Can someone explain to me why intubation would have been potentially harmful here?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm just thinking away, may not be right.

We will anyways do a broncos copy immediately than intubate. Will not want to overinflate an infant's lungs or cause the peanut to get pushed further forward by Positive pressure.

Psychiatry Applicant 2016.

Hi everyone,

I just had a CCS case where a 7 mo child presents in acute respiratory distress. I was thinking either anaphylactic shock or foreign body aspiration (peanuts were noted to be nearby). RR in the 50s, cyanotic, looking toxic. After the typical emergency orders and a brief exam, I immediately ordered intubation. This was rejected by the parents and I managed the rest of the case fine (figured out quickly it was foreign body aspiration).

In the explanations, intubation was listed as potentially harmful and I am not sure why. The child clearly had a compromised airway. Can someone explain to me why intubation would have been potentially harmful here?

Thanks.

if patient has a foriegn body in the airway you do not intubate. you will force that peanut even more down