Step 3 preparation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrAwsome

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in the process of getting ready for Step 3. I am planning on reading First Aid for Step 3 and using UWorld. Is this enough to pass and get a decent score? Or would Kaplan materials be more appropriate? Also how long does it take to prepare for step 3-a month, more, less?

All suggestions welcome. Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

I am in the process of getting ready for Step 3. I am planning on reading First Aid for Step 3 and using UWorld. Is this enough to pass and get a decent score? Or would Kaplan materials be more appropriate? Also how long does it take to prepare for step 3-a month, more, less?

All suggestions welcome. Thanks!!

You will find that First Aid Step 3 is painful, though there are no good substitutes. UWorld is awesome. I cannot stress enough to do the CCS cases. Haresh will tell you otherwise. You are doing more than sufficient work, especially if you are doing a clinical internship (i.e. Not pathology).

I studied for about two weeks with Uworld only (having two free weekends really helped). I took it in my first month of internship. To give you an idea of what / where I was coming from:

248 Step 1 - Kaplan Course, 197 hours or whatever
252 Step 2 - Kaplan Course, 196 hours or whatever
233 Step 3 - Uworld Only

I share that to say that (A) I suppose I had a good foundation, but (and more importantly), (B) I was able to pass Step 3 and get an average score with doing minimal studying where I had previously spent far too long on a prepared course to barely scrape by an SD.

Bottom line, Step 3, not hard.

You will find that First Aid Step 3 is painful, though there are no good substitutes. UWorld is awesome. I cannot stress enough to do the CCS cases. Haresh will tell you otherwise. You are doing more than sufficient work, especially if you are doing a clinical internship (i.e. Not pathology).

I studied for about two weeks with Uworld only (having two free weekends really helped). I took it in my first month of internship. To give you an idea of what / where I was coming from:

233 Step 3 - Uworld Only

I share that to say that (A) I suppose I had a good foundation, but (and more importantly), (B) I was able to pass Step 3 and get an average score with doing minimal studying where I had previously spent far too long on a prepared course to barely scrape by an SD.

Yes, I've seen the discussions between you and Haresh. :) Well I need something to read in addition to doing questions, that's why I'm thinking of doing First Aid for Step 3. Is there really any other comprehensive book out there?

I read Kaplan for step 1 and step 2, and I found that for Step 2, the material was not well covered and excessive, so hoping not to have to do that again.

So it seems like a good plan then for me to do First Aid + Uworld, unless you have any other suggestions as far as prep books.

233 Step 3 - Uworld Only

we have the same scores, almost, diff 1 pt on step 1. i also want to get step 3 done with early during internship (in a couple of months) but not going to risk it so i'm doing kaplan qbank, usmleworld, MTB, and mksap 15 questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
we have the same scores, almost, diff 1 pt on step 1. i also want to get step 3 done with early during internship (in a couple of months) but not going to risk it so i'm doing kaplan qbank, usmleworld, MTB, and mksap 15 questions.

What is MTB? Master the Boards? It seems that a lot of people don't like First Aid!

Yes, I've seen the discussions between you and Haresh. :) Well I need something to read in addition to doing questions, that's why I'm thinking of doing First Aid for Step 3. Is there really any other comprehensive book out there?

I read Kaplan for step 1 and step 2, and I found that for Step 2, the material was not well covered and excessive, so hoping not to have to do that again.

So it seems like a good plan then for me to do First Aid + Uworld, unless you have any other suggestions as far as prep books.

:laugh: Overactive brain will not have any other suggestions. He will tell you if you do UWorld, you can pass with out even writing the exam. Or you can have head trauma and sit and stare at UW and receive passing score ... such XXXXX advertisers and their profile shows they are working here for 5 years and more . Even if these people started residency after their USMLE they would be finished by now and should be practicing medicine as physicians earning $200k/ year. So these are not physicians, these are paid workers for UWORLD . :mad:

Anyone use kaplan white coat pocket guide? I have MTB as well, but white coat seems better and has algorithms.

I know there have been some suggestions posted above, but I want to try to find someone who found my study methods for Step 1 and Step 2 successful and hear suggestions for Step 3...

Step 1: First Aid and UWorld; DIT
Step 2: Step Up to Step 2 and UWorld; DIT

Anyone who has been similarly successful with the books I used above for the respective exams have any suggestions for Step 3 study aids?

Thanks.