Step 3 Study Plan; UWorld vs USMLE Score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureCancerDoc

Reaction score
I took my USMLE Step 3 in early Oct 2020 after two years of residency. Here are some helpful tips.

Study resources I used:
1. USMLE World - I did all the questions in the Qbank and did both practice tests. My average % right for the Qbank was 60%. My first practice test (taken 2 weeks before exam) I scored a 192. My second practice test (take 1 week before exam) I scored a 209.

2. CCS Cases - I found this software to be identical to the real test software. It's excellent! I really liked that it gives feedback after the case unlike UWorld. There are 101 cases and I did about 60% of them.

3. First Aid for Step 3- I read every chapter at least once, and read the chapters on OB/gyn and peds twice since that's not my area of practice. I also highly recommend the 100 CCS case summaries in the back of the Step 3 book. It was helpful reading though those a few times to practice building a differential and thinking about the work-up.

Time to study:
About 2 months in total, but most intensively in the 4 weeks leading up to the exam. I was working full time, so just studied in evenings and on weekends.

Test day experience: I took the test on back-to-back days (Sun, Mon).

Return time for score: 15 days

Final score: Pass, 221

I hope this helps!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I took my USMLE Step 3 in early Oct 2020 after two years of residency. Here are some helpful tips.

Study resources I used:
1. USMLE World - I did all the questions in the Qbank and did both practice tests. My average % right for the Qbank was 60%. My first practice test (taken 2 weeks before exam) I scored a 192. My second practice test (take 1 week before exam) I scored a 209.

2. CCS Cases - I found this software to be identical to the real test software. It's excellent! I really liked that it gives feedback after the case unlike UWorld. There are 101 cases and I did about 60% of them.

3. First Aid for Step 3- I read every chapter at least once, and read the chapters on OB/gyn and peds twice since that's not my area of practice.

Time to study:
About 2 months in total, but most intensively in the 4 weeks leading up to the exam. I was working full time, so just studied in evenings and on weekends.

I hope this helps!
congrats.

Question: how was your CCS "grade". I ask because perhaps you can shed some light on ordering TSH and other lab tests that are not needed. Lost points? or 2 min screen.

thanks

The final score report doesn't give you a score for the CCS cases. It just tells you whether you did "Lower, Same, or Higher" on that portion relative to the MSQs. For me, I did the Same.

The final score report doesn't give you a score for the CCS cases. It just tells you whether you did "Lower, Same, or Higher" on that portion relative to the MSQs. For me, I did the Same.

Oh ok. Thank you.

Taking UWSA 2 tomorrow - fingers crossed* (194 on UWSA 1 last week)

Members don't see this ad :)

Study resources I used:

3. First Aid for Step 3- I read every chapter at least once, and read the chapters on OB/gyn and peds twice since that's not my area of practice. I also highly recommend the 100 CCS case summaries in the back of the Step 3 book. It was helpful reading though those a few times to practice building a differential and thinking about the work-up.

Time to study:

I hope this helps!

Congrats on passing! My exam is at the end of next week; how was day 1 for you? I'm also taking it back to back. I just went through the 100 CCS case summaries in the back of FA for Step 3 and I found them pretty helpful! I made notes for almost all of them and I just plan to review that like the night before or something. I think I've got a pretty good handle on how the software works and stuff.

Congrats on passing! My exam is at the end of next week; how was day 1 for you? I'm also taking it back to back. I just went through the 100 CCS case summaries in the back of FA for Step 3 and I found them pretty helpful! I made notes for almost all of them and I just plan to review that like the night before or something. I think I've got a pretty good handle on how the software works and stuff.

Day #1 was consistent with everything I read here. There were 1-2 biostats questions/section. There was also 1-2 basic science questions and/or questions about the mechanism of a medication in each section. There's a nice two page summary of the essential biostats equations in the First Aid Step 3 book, and there's a nice table that summarizes antibiotic mechanisms. I'd suggest reviewing those one more time the day before your test. Best wishes for your test!

Usually 70%+, but sometimes I would miss a major step and score less. In that case, I redid the case a second time for practice. It's an excellent study tool.

1) So on 2 minute screen, did you ordered vaccines and other stuff that ccscases wants you to ? Just trying to get some sort of feedback if ordering vaccines and other stuff helps.

2) same for physical exam and official USMLE cases always do aVery focused exam vs ccscasses.com

Because if you look at the feedback from official USMLE cases, they say unnecessary orders will cost you if it delays care.

Thank you for all the help!

1) So on 2 minute screen, did you ordered vaccines and other stuff that ccscases wants you to ? Just trying to get some sort of feedback if ordering vaccines and other stuff helps.

2) same for physical exam and official USMLE cases always do aVery focused exam vs ccscasses.com

Because if you look at the feedback from official USMLE cases, they say unnecessary orders will cost you if it delays care.

Thank you for all the help!

1. My experience was that unnecessary lab tests did not hurt the score. Unnecessary imaging or procedures would hurt it. I would trust the scoring on CCS cases. I only ordered vaccines if the person was not up to date on age-appropriate or season-appropriate (Flu) vaccines. This is fine to do along with counseling in the last 2 minutes.

2. I erred on the side of too much physical exam instead of too little. I did nearly a full physical for most patients +/- rectal exam and +/- pelvic exam depending on the case situation.

I hope that helps!

1. My experience was that unnecessary lab tests did not hurt the score. Unnecessary imaging or procedures would hurt it. I would trust the scoring on CCS cases. I only ordered vaccines if the person was not up to date on age-appropriate or season-appropriate (Flu) vaccines. This is fine to do along with counseling in the last 2 minutes.

2. I erred on the side of too much physical exam instead of too little. I did nearly a full physical for most patients +/- rectal exam and +/- pelvic exam depending on the case situation.

I hope that helps!

Thank you

Hey! How do you schedule a follow up appointment for a CCS case after it gets to the 2 minute window? I've seen it repeatedly said that we have to schedule one but I have no clue how to. Help? lol