STEP OPT for Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

timmy3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an IMG. Completed my degree outside US. Did STEP 1 and 2. Hoping to register for ECFMG.

I also got admission to a masters program in Health Informatics. I’m hoping this would give me some chance to gain some USCE.

Could anyone please kindly give some information if I could use my F1 OPT to enter my residency program. I can 36 months in total fir OPT + extension. That perfect to complete IM residency.

I’m really confused. Also, I’m not sure if I can change my visa status from F1 to J1 I read somewhere I can’t.

I need some help please do kindly guide me.

Members don't see this ad.

You cannot use OPT for medical residency if OPT is from a Master's in Health Informatics. You also cannot use STEM OPT extension for residency either. You will need to go on J1 or H1 for residency.

You cannot use OPT for medical residency if OPT is from a Master's in Health Informatics. You also cannot use STEM OPT extension for residency either. You will need to go on J1 or H1 for residency.
Thank you for the replies! Is it possible to go from F1 to J1?

You can absolutely switch from F to J. No problem at all, happens all the time. The J visa will include the HRR - you'll be required to return to your home country for 2 years after finishing your training, or will need to find a J waiver position in the US.

Reactions: 1 user
You can absolutely switch from F to J. No problem at all, happens all the time. The J visa will include the HRR - you'll be required to return to your home country for 2 years after finishing your training, or will need to find a J waiver position in the US.
Hi, thank you so much for your reply! Would it be possible for you to provide a link where it explains the whole process? As per my research, I found the F1 to J1 visa is not possible unless I finish a 12 month experience . In my home country before I can reapply for a J1 visa.

Your words are encouraging and giving me hope.

Additionally, if I am able to secure a residency program before my masters ends, could I switch my F1 to J1 and continue my training? My masters program can be completed online if that’s the case.

The official USCIS site is here: Change My Nonimmigrant Status | USCIS

They clearly state that you can change from any nonimmigrant visa type to another. Hence you can shift from an F to a J.

It's confusing because there are lots of different types of J visas. Medical residents, Au Pairs, some students, researchers, and more can all use various types of J visas.

Switching from an F to a J will not be a problem at all - as long as there's no issues in your past (i.e. you haven't had a visa revoked, etc). As mentioned, you will not be able to use OPT from your F visa unless the job you are getting is directly related to the degree -- so if you were to get some sort of informatics fellowship, you could use OPT.

You can likely continue your MS program on a J visa. Your school's visa office would be the best judge of that. However, residency is very busy. You should seriously consider whether you can actually complete the work of an MS while being a resident.

The official USCIS site is here: Change My Nonimmigrant Status | USCIS

They clearly state that you can change from any nonimmigrant visa type to another. Hence you can shift from an F to a J.

It's confusing because there are lots of different types of J visas. Medical residents, Au Pairs, some students, researchers, and more can all use various types of J visas.

Switching from an F to a J will not be a problem at all - as long as there's no issues in your past (i.e. you haven't had a visa revoked, etc). As mentioned, you will not be able to use OPT from your F visa unless the job you are getting is directly related to the degree -- so if you were to get some sort of informatics fellowship, you could use OPT.

You can likely continue your MS program on a J visa. Your school's visa office would be the best judge of that. However, residency is very busy. You should seriously consider whether you can actually complete the work of an MS while being a resident.
Thank you so much for the information!

I would consider doing the masters part-time if I do get into residency. If not, I will defer it. My main goal so to get into Residency.

Last edited: