Steroid injection pre/post surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oneforfighting

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's your thought process for a patient on whom you want to do a steroid injection but is also scheduled to undergo surgery? For example, patient has foot surgery scheduled next month. Do you do an epidural now? Is there a period of time you wait post-op to do an injection?
Is there any literature to support increased risk for doing steroid injection on a separate location than site of surgery? I know that doing an injection at the site of surgery (i.e. hip) pre-op increases risk of surgical infection.

Members don't see this ad.

What's your thought process for a patient on whom you want to do a steroid injection but is also scheduled to undergo surgery? For example, patient has foot surgery scheduled next month. Do you do an epidural now? Is there a period of time you wait post-op to do an injection?
Is there any literature to support increased risk for doing steroid injection on a separate location than site of surgery? I know that doing an injection at the site of surgery (i.e. hip) pre-op increases risk of surgical infection.
Ask the surgeon his/her preference. It does not matter much what the literature says. The surgeon is the one who decides if operating.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Pretty routine to give a dose of dexamethasone IV during induction. Decreases post-op pain, airway irritation, and PONV. If I recall correctly there’s good anesthesia literature to show it doesn’t raise infection risk.
Still, I agree with giving the surgeon a call and asking - don’t want to get blamed for an infection.

Reactions: 2 users