Stigma associated with *gunner*-ism

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ross434

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay.. Im in class, i love learning, i really enjoy my lectures. When the prof asks a question, i understand its appropriate to leave a little time for somebody else to respond, in case they're thinking it through, but, having done the work, i like to answer whenever i can for the benefit of interacting with the professor and testing my knowledge. Seeing as im more dedicated to academics than 90% of my fellow students (im at a ****ty school, and im not talking about intelligence, and im not saying work ethic), i end up answering 90% of the teachers questions. Some say this makes me look bad and i get an image of being a know-it-all or "annoying" .. What the hell? If the other people cant get the answer within 5-10 seconds, why is it so evil?

Members don't see this ad.

just do what works for you and don't be bothered with the opinions of others. if your style of learning is what is going to get you into and through med school, THEN KEEP DOING IT! :luck:

I second that but on the other hand you might be labed by other students and they might not like your showing off. Thus word will get around and good luck getting a date dude

Members don't see this ad :)
answer every damn question you want.

if others can't handle it, it is your duty as a precocious genius to remind them that it's simply their inferior intellectual aptitude that is holding them back, not your obvious mastery of the presented data.

I'm one of those people who needs more time to think things through. I'm an auditory learner so even though I do all the reading before class, it doesn't "come together" for me until I hear it covered in a lecture. While I think it is fine when there is a person in the class with your technique, it is more difficult for me to think things through in my head. By hearing an answer (right or wrong) I don't get the benefit of reaching back to what I know and thinking it through on my own -- which solidifies things for me. Since lecture is where I learn best, I need the time, or sometimes even for the professor to "lead" the class in the thinking process through things. Now, a day after the lecture, I'd be able to shout out answers too :) but I can't do that until I've heard the material (as opposed to reading it, like a visual learner can do).

I try not to read material before class and I try to catch a few winks while in class. That learning strategy seems to be working so far.

Ross434 said:
Okay.. Im in class, i love learning, i really enjoy my lectures. When the prof asks a question, i understand its appropriate to leave a little time for somebody else to respond, in case they're thinking it through, but, having done the work, i like to answer whenever i can for the benefit of interacting with the professor and testing my knowledge. Seeing as im more dedicated to academics than 90% of my fellow students (im at a ****ty school, and im not talking about intelligence, and im not saying work ethic), i end up answering 90% of the teachers questions. Some say this makes me look bad and i get an image of being a know-it-all or "annoying" .. What the hell? If the other people cant get the answer within 5-10 seconds, why is it so evil?

Well, I guess you could turn this thought around. I assume you are in a good sized class (80-200 students.) Out of a class of this size, why do you feel the need to answer so frequently that other people (correctly or not) are forming this opinion of you?

If you want "interaction", there's office hours. If you want to "test your knowledge", there practice problems, homework sets, old tests, etc. I don't think that blurting out every answer in class gives you quality interaction, nor a quality knowledge test.

Speculating based only on the info in the original post, this is the type of person who is generally starved for attention, or insecure about their abilities (they have to make sure everyone else knows how smart they are). The purpose these people usually serve is to provide a bond for everyone else in the class as the other students have something to talk about amongst themselves:the annoying know-it-all in class.

There's nothing wrong with firing off a couple of answers, and if the prof is asking for verbal answers, I'm sure he appreciates the fact that he's getting interaction. But when you dominate the A part of the Q&A, you're saying that the need of full class interaction is less important to you than your own need for ego stroking.

Why would you cut someone some slack when they seem (correctly or not) to put their own individual interests ahead of that of the entire group?

Are you sure he's asking actual questions or is was it a rhetorical question?

I answer infrequently, even though I know the answer fairly often. I just don't feel the need to say anything.

WHy not just answer the questions softly to yourself? Then everyone would get the chance. I know the feeling. I had this anthro class where no one did the the readings and in discussion the TA was like pulling teeth. I usually waited until the last moment to answer her question...Other times, when I knew others did some of the reading i would just stay dead quiet and catch up myself. Trade off if you ask me :laugh:

I was in a class once where the teacher put his hand up as a "stop" and told the person to let someone else answer. Then, the whole class was silent in shock until simultaneously 7 people answered his question! People had just started sitting back/not participating/tuning out because this one guy blurted everything like he wanted to answer first. The rest of the class wasn't "willing to compete" which is what this person wanted.

I just thought it was an interesting phenomenon to observe. :rolleyes:

Snape (to Hermoine): Are you incapable of restraining yourself or do you enjoy being an insufferable know-it-all?

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

My previous comments were out of line. I must of been in a weird mood, ie under the influence. Anyways setting the curve is nice, also if you are smart don't hide it, don't be embarassed.

dmhill99 said:
I know what the poster means. I can't wait to get to college and seem like an dingus to everyone. It is soooooooo fun to set the curve and crush other people. Hey if it works for you just do it, who really cares what they think.

Apparently you care about what they think. You want to seem like a know-it-all dingus to them. Congrats, you're now the most annoying person on your campus. Why not just sit back and let other people answer. Or better yet, don't answer any questions until after other people have tried. Then at the last minute, answer only the questions that no one else gets. That way other people have a shot to learn the material, and you still get your ego boost (becuase god forbid the rest of the class not affirm your inflated self perception).

Members don't see this ad :)
dmhill99 said:
I can't wait to get to college and seem like an dingus to everyone.

Did you put that in your college application essay? That'll probably get you in just about anywhere...but fair warning, college is a little harder than high school. It's also more fun if everyone doesn't think you're an dingus.

Ross434 said:
Some say this makes me look bad and i get an image of being a know-it-all or "annoying" .. What the hell? If the other people cant get the answer within 5-10 seconds, why is it so evil?

I wouldn't say that what you are doing is "evil". But it IS a bit disingenuous of you to constantly go out of your way to draw attention to yourself, and then ask why your classmates don't like you! This is especially true if you do it in a way that makes other people feel inferior, because they're bound to resent it. People don't like a pedant, even if s/he is the professor. Now I'm not suggesting that you should never say or do anything that anyone might construe as being annoying, but you might want to consider whether you are willing to do anything to change people's perceptions of you, or whether you don't care how they see you because they are "less dedicated to academics" than you are. You can still let your professors know that you are dedicated and hardworking without alienating your classmates, if the latter is important to you.

Does answering the questions improve your education any?

TheProwler said:
Are you sure he's asking actual questions or is was it a rhetorical question?

:D There was this girl in one of my classes who used to shout out an incorrect statement after every single rhetorical question the professor asked. It was the funniest thing I have ever witnessed in my entire life.

blueperson said:
I was in a class once where the teacher put his hand up as a "stop" and told the person to let someone else answer. Then, the whole class was silent in shock until simultaneously 7 people answered his question! People had just started sitting back/not participating/tuning out because this one guy blurted everything like he wanted to answer first. The rest of the class wasn't "willing to compete" which is what this person wanted.

I just thought it was an interesting phenomenon to observe.

As for professors stopping people from answering, that happens frequently in my school. But really this just allows room for the second best gunner to begin answering all the questions in a row. No one really takes it personally, you know?. (In one stats class there were three mathematicians who used to answer all the questions, keeping a running tally of who was answering most... it was a game. This went on until the prof stopped the one who was answering most, then the next would immediately raise her hand and answer until she was stopped etc... It was also really funny)

My general feeling is that as long as you arent simply stroking your ego (yuk!) and you give others the opportunity to answer first (ie: looooooooong pause, profs leading question, pause...then go) it is fair game and you arent being a jerk. Typically , if you arent doing it in a mean spirited way than you wont seem like an a$$. If you are, you will .

I once took a class where participation was a big part of the grade. Inevitably, there was one guy who would shoot his hand up and sincerely say, "That comment that Mike made a few minutes ago... I agree with that!"

If the comments aren't adding to the discussion or helping you understand things better, then chill out. No one (including the prof) wants their ears constantly rattled by an insecure know-it-all.

dmhill99 said:
I know what the poster means. I can't wait to get to college and seem like an dingus to everyone. It is soooooooo fun to set the curve and crush other people. Hey if it works for you just do it, who really cares what they think.

Well, I'll bite on the troll, just because of the horrible logic flaw.

Being able to answer questions in class != Smartest person in the class != Setting the curve.

But:

Prob(getting laid) if dingus <<<<<<< Prob(getting laid) if not dingus

Prob(getting beat up) if dingus >>>>>>Prob(getting beat up) if not dingus

Sigma said:
Well, I'll bite on the troll, just because of the horrible logic flaw.

Being able to answer questions in class != Smartest person in the class != Setting the curve.

But:

Prob(getting laid) if dingus <<<<<<< Prob(getting laid) if not dingus

Prob(getting beat up) if dingus >>>>>>Prob(getting beat up) if not dingus
I dunno, girls seem to like dinguses, though usually those dinguses are the ones that like to cheat on them and not the know it all nerdy ones.

Ross434 said:

that's not really gunnerism. Gunners will occasionnally do that in order to show off, but if no one else is talking sometimes answering just speeds things up. The hallmark definition of a gunner is someone who wants to succeed at the expense of others, if that doesn't apply to you then you're not a gunner, although you still might be annoying ;)

blueperson said:

I just thought it was an interesting phenomenon to observe. :rolleyes:
:laugh: We had this old jerk who would try to dominate the lectures and show how intelligent he was. :rolleyes: The professor obviously disliked him.

always answering questions is annoying but what is equally annoying to me and what i've noticed a lot of in big lecture science classes is that 2-3 students feel the need to constantly raise their hands in the middle of a presentation and ask one of two types of questions: a question so detailed and often tangential that it is of little relevance to the rest of the class or a question about some obvious unknown that the professor is planning on covering later in the lecture. The professor will either answer the detailed tangential question, losing most of the class and wasting precious time or say for the umpteenth time "I'm getting to that." Its always the same folks asking these types of questions. Why can't people save these random questions for after class, office hours or discussion sections? And why can't they learn that they are always asking questions that the professor will ultimately be covering? Its like they like showing off that they have read the chapter in advance and therefore know what's coming next. So obnoxious. I understand if the teacher asks a question to the class, or asks if anyone needs clarification, or makes a serios typo, then people can speak up but i'm sick of these 2-3 show offs attempting to sidetrack and dominate the large lecture. Its just not the place and all this behavior just seems so inconsiderate and obnoxious.

and there ends my rant against the know-it-all.

Kind of sad that we're taught by fellow classmates to not act as know it alls when we're in class. To me, it sounds like a good thing to be one as long as you don't come off sounding cocky or condescending, and participation can only enhance your learning anyway. Besides, it's usually a matter of envy, not propriety, when it comes down to those who become upset over such a trivial thing. So why sweat it?

Keep shouting out answers loud and clear is my advice (well, you know what I mean).

The truth is that everybody knows the answer(or most of them do). Answering every question doesn't make you look smart.....

ppresenting zee Guunneerr!!!!
"Its not enough that i succeed, others SHOULD fail!!!!!" (waving arms triumphantly) :D

swifteagle43 said:
The truth is that everybody knows the answer(or most of them do). Answering every question doesn't make you look smart.....

Why the hell do people not answer then??? The silence is freaking annoying. im trying to set an example so people will take the wheel and interact. Maybe if they feel bad or annoyed they'll do some reading on their own and follow suit.

Ross434 said:
Why the hell do people not answer then??? The silence is freaking annoying. im trying to set an example so people will take the wheel and interact. Maybe if they feel bad or annoyed they'll do some reading on their own and follow suit.
Some people don't like drawing attention to themselves. I guarantee that you are not the only one who knows the answers, the smartest people are often the quietest and least noticed.

Your setting an example isn't going to inspire them to answer the questions, it'll just reinforce their annoyance with you.

MWillie said:
Some people don't like drawing attention to themselves. I guarantee that you are not the only one who knows the answers, the smartest people are often the quietest and least noticed.

Your setting an example isn't going to inspire them to answer the questions, it'll just reinforce their annoyance with you.

The smartest people here is me. seriously. my school sends like 2 people to med school (out of a class of 2500) per year, and our 4 year grad rate is below 15%. Its a shame to see people missing the opportunity to formulate their knowledge verbally and receive feedback on their ideas from the professor .. that would be the point of in class interaction, and, if i were paying for my education, i would want to do that to get the most out of it.

Ross434 said:
im trying to set an example so people will take the wheel and interact. Maybe if they feel bad or annoyed they'll do some reading on their own and follow suit.

I highly doubt this will happen. In fact, your zealousness probably has the opposite effect. Are you sure you are not underestimating your classmates? I've had A's in classes that i've probably never said one word when a question was asked.

IMHO, answer questions if you like the mental stimulation but not because you think know one else will get if you don't answer-- to me that's quite cocky and easily perceived.

Oh no, its not because i think nobody else will understand. I just think its engaging and an interesting way to test my comprehension.

Ross434 said:
The smartest people here is me. seriously. my school sends like 2 people to med school (out of a class of 2500) per year, and our 4 year grad rate is below 15%. Its a shame to see people missing the opportunity to formulate their knowledge verbally and receive feedback on their ideas from the professor .. that would be the point of in class interaction, and, if i were paying for my education, i would want to do that to get the most out of it.
Sounds like you need to go to a new school. Stop trampling on the down and out.

How does a smart guy like you end up at a place like this anyway? :confused:

MWillie said:
Sounds like you need to go to a new school. Stop trampling on the down and out.

How does a smart guy like you end up at a place like this anyway? :confused:

Yeah, i cant really figure it out myself. The teachers here rock and there are a lot of good classes. And they're paying me a stipend in addition to a full scholarship.

Ross434 said:

The greatest ability we have is to hide our abilities. It is NOT good to reveal your talent. You must be new to this level of intellectualism. Trust me- as somebody who has been doing the academic thing hardcore since 9th grade-I can tell you that it is NOT a good idea to show your smarts to your classmates.

You can't listen much with your mouth moving. There is a famous analogy given in Pakistan/India/Bangladesh about knowledge:

If you put a tiny rock inside a box and shake the box it will make a lot of noise. If you fill the box up with lots of rocks and shake the box it will make less or no noise. Same goes with human beings and the knowledge inside their head.

Almost every kid in your class knows the answer and won't answer because they are either:
A. Not wanting to show off their knowledge
B. Want to see how somebody else answers the question
C. Know the answer and are bored as hell(like I am usually)

The kids who know the answer think you are dumb because by answering the question they feel that you are at the peak of your intelligence when answering the question. The stupid kids think you are a show off because you are answering question that they don't know. Never miss an opportunity to keep your mouth shut when you can!

swifteagle43 said:
Never miss an opportunity to keep your mouth shut when you can!

Sorry, i believe in never missing an opportunity to engage in academic give-and-take

I think that in exchange for me bringing my talents and abilities to this university, i should at least be allowed the chance to capitalize on any chance i have to interact with the professor in a classroom setting.

Ross434 said:

Just because you know the answer doesnt mean that you have to say it. I bet the majority of questions you answer are easy, and answering all of them just makes you look like a huge douche bag. It would be much less annoying if you only answered the difficult questions.

MEG@COOL said:
Just because you know the answer doesnt mean that you have to say it. I bet the majority of questions you answer are easy, and answering all of them just makes you look like a huge douche bag. It would be much less annoying if you only answered the difficult questions.

but when nobody answers the question after the prof asks like 3 times, they just look like total brickheads. (regardless of whether they are or not)

Ross434 said:
I think that in exchange for me bringing my talents and abilities to this university

Holy crap kids, it's Maurice Clarett. I didn't know you were pre-med :eek:

If you're not a gunner, isn't it more difficult for a professor to remember you, out of the thousands of students he teaches?

If you're just a student who tries hard, does moderately well, but doesn't really make himself or herself known, won't the professor remember the gunner more, and thus have an easier time writing a recommendation?

DoctorFunk said:
Holy crap kids, it's Maurice Clarett. I didn't know you were pre-med :eek:

the dean of admissions came to my house 100 miles away from the school to meet with my family on a friday night when i was looking at colleges in my senior year. They made it clear they would do whatever to get me to go there.

I'm not doubting your intelligence and all but the vibe you give out will always be interpreted as condescending despite your intentions of improving the learning environment. I'm a gunner of sorts too, and I find myself to be an annoying prick sometimes too. If you've made many attempts to get the rest of the class to join in and they haven't, I think their minds are made up and you might as well let it go.

Bhavesh said:
If you're not a gunner, isn't it more difficult for a professor to remember you, out of the thousands of students he teaches?

If you're just a student who tries hard, does moderately well, but doesn't really make himself or herself known, won't the professor remember the gunner more, and thus have an easier time writing a recommendation?
Remembering you != Liking you

They see your exams. They should see you in class. If you talk to them every now and then, they'll know who you are. I've found this to be the case even in relatively large classes (over 100).

Ross434 said:

Are you for real?

You are a gunner on so many levels that I don't know where to begin.

Tell me you are just pulling your Uncle Panda's leg.

It all depends on how important other's perception of you is in your life. If you don't care and aren't bothered by other's opinions, do whatever you feel like. If you want people to like you, don't be surprised if they don't when you act this way.

Also, remember that the point in asking the question was to get you to think about the material in the specific way that the professor was trying to convey, not necessarily to get an answer. The prof will ask the class a question and most often, they want the opportunity to explain the concept further rather than somebody quickly answering and then moving on. I know you probably feel like you're not getting everything you can out of the class when you don't participate and answer questions, but ultimately, whether you answer questions or not isn't going to get you the good grade in a class.

the dean of admissions came to my house 100 miles away from the school to meet with my family on a friday night when i was looking at colleges in my senior year. They made it clear they would do whatever to get me to go there.

Dude, we understand that you are head and shoulders above the "competition", if that is what you want to call your fellow students, of whom only 15% graduate. You need a reality check, though. Just because you are "so much smarter than everybody else" does not mean it is OK to flaunt that, as you have been doing here and, according to you, everyday in your classes.

Get over yourself. There is always somebody smarter than you. There might even be a few of them on this forum. :eek:

Ross434 said:
Sorry, i believe in never missing an opportunity to engage in academic give-and-take

I think that in exchange for me bringing my talents and abilities to this university, i should at least be allowed the chance to capitalize on any chance i have to interact with the professor in a classroom setting.

You are not giving anything(teaching is the professors job). And you are not taking anything because you can't listen with your mouth.

I still think you are a troll(person who posts fake posts to get people to talk about stupid things). Or you are just Alfred Einstien.

Ross434 said:

What country are you going to school in ??? I've known plenty of people in Community Colleges let alone 4 year schools that are smart as ****. I am sure that in every 4 year school there are people that are ivy league material - even the non competetive schools. If you honestly think you are the smartest student there, than you are quite the arrogant prick and need a reality check.

Ross434. Before you enter the real world (i.e., residency, job, etc.), you'd better come to grips on why you feel compelled to speak up so often. If it's due to a complex of some sort, then get over it - you will be hated by your peers, and ultimately they will hinder your success. If you do it because you truly work with incompetent people, then by all means, take the lead IF NECCESSARY ... this world needs things to be done right ... but remember that your incompetent peers will still try to hinder your success.

I found that the best way to handle things is to not speak out too often. Carry things outside "the boardroom" with those who don't seem to get it. "Teaching" those who don't understand is defintely more rewarding for everyone (including yourself) in the long run. You'll find that your peers will tend to protect you rather than hurt you. I been there and done it, and it works. You remember ... "speak softly and carry a big stick". Sorry, that this isn't outside the boardroom.

Birdyman said:
Ross434. Before you enter the real world (i.e., residency, job, etc.), you'd better come to grips on why you feel compelled to speak up so often. If it's due to a complex of some sort, then get over it - you will be hated by your peers, and ultimately they will hinder your success. If you do it because you truly work with incompetent people, then by all means, take the lead IF NECCESSARY ... this world needs things to be done right ... but remember that your incompetent peers will still try to hinder your success.
and done it, and it works.

Maybe i feel the need to speak up because i want to prove to people that i know the answers and have a firm grasp of the material? because those are the things i value highly in my life right now? Its not that i need approval, its that it seems like a possible way to demonstrate that i am interested. Ive had people come up to me after and outside of class (presumably because it looks like i have the answers) to ask me questions and get help. I appreciate this because its fun and its not always easy to find/signal to others that are interested as well.