Stiles Screen

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tapoona

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
We had a professor tell us that the school we attend (LMU-DCOM) was the only school that taught the Stiles Screen. To me, it seems so basic that there would be more schools that taught it. Have any of you learned the Stiles screen?

Members don't see this ad.

I have no idea what you are talking about. What is Stiles Screen?

Reactions: 1 users
Whatever it is, if it is something basic and important, it's probably taught with a different name. If not its something made up by your school and KYCOM for the sake of maintaining "distinctiveness" (pending JAOA article - after that we'll claim it as a technique that Still likely used in order to maintain our collective distinctiveness).

By the way, I like how a doc can just slightly modify a technique used by DOs almost everywhere and then put their name in front of it. In the future I totally plan on creating the "hallowmann maneuver". It'll revolutionize OMT, and medicine as a whole.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It'll revolutionize OMT, and medicine as a whole.

Dude, I've heard the hallowmann maneuver is super holistic and patient-centered. Like totally whole-body all the way.

Reactions: 4 users
In the future I totally plan on creating the "hallowmann maneuver". It'll revolutionize OMT, and medicine as a whole.

I look forward to your case report in the JAOA.

It is a method of screening the spine using the thenar eminence to find the area of greatest restriction. hallowmann, you're probably right. If it doesn't go by a different name somewhere else, they got it from KYCOM.

It is a method of screening the spine using the thenar eminence to find the area of greatest restriction. hallowmann, you're probably right. If it doesn't go by a different name somewhere else, they got it from KYCOM.

That's so funny, I so do that when I'm in a hurry on my wife and friends. Definitely quicker than motion testing each vertebrae. We were actually told about something very similar to that in first year, but none of us really use it in class because we are expected to motion test, diagnose and correct under a time limit during practicals, and we'd probably lose points for doing something like that.

But hey, if they let you use it in class, more power to you. I'm sure it'll be helpful in practice if you plan to use OMT on your patients.

We had a professor tell us that the school we attend (LMU-DCOM) was the only school that taught the Stiles Screen. To me, it seems so basic that there would be more schools that taught it. Have any of you learned the Stiles screen?
Not taught at COMP.

95% of what OMM professors tell you is them blowing smoke up your butt.

And, no. You're not the only school to learn it.

I've never heard of the "Stiles Screen" but after a quick google I know what it is. I just call it "the I'm too lazy to make you flop all over a table test cause time is $ test"

Reactions: 1 user
Dr Stiles is one of our OMM professors at KYCOM he came up with it. It's actually pretty useful from what I hear but who knows I'm just a lowly OMS-1. He's a really nice guy though if that counts for anything and for Trivias sake he did his OMM training under AT Stills grandson so there's that for useless info about the Stile Screen and Dr Stiles

Whatever it is, if it is something basic and important, it's probably taught with a different name. If not its something made up by your school and KYCOM for the sake of maintaining "distinctiveness" (pending JAOA article - after that we'll claim it as a technique that Still likely used in order to maintain our collective distinctiveness).

By the way, I like how a doc can just slightly modify a technique used by DOs almost everywhere and then put their name in front of it. In the future I totally plan on creating the "hallowmann maneuver". It'll revolutionize OMT, and medicine as a whole.
Use the THUMBS to open up the thoracic duct! Brilliant!! Improved lymphatic flow 33% in a JAOA article peer reviewed by your cousin!

We had a workshop with Charlie Beck DO, and he taught us the Stiles exam. I currently use it and find it useful. Our school is taught the Zink screen, because our previous OMM head used it in his practice.

This was never formally taught at our school, but I did see some OMM attendings doing it. It was usually implied that this was the faster way of doing things that came with practice.